Why become a member? ×

P bass, and why I love it!!

mic mac moe

13 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

My first ever bass was a Fender 57 reissue Precision bass, back in the 80s. It was made in Japan. Since then I have owned several P-basses (all Fender or Squier, from USA to Mexican) and they've all delivered. Standouts for me included, a 51 reissue, an all original 1978 and a 70s bitsa. However, they came and went. A couple of years ago I bought a new 57 reissue, also Japanese. It reminds me of my first bass. As others have said I've tried, owned and enjoyed several basses from Gibsons to Rickenbackers to Danelectros and beyond. There is something about the P-bass that means it will always be part of my life, even if I happen to be doing a gig on a Jazz or an upright. Anyhow, here's mine pictured just this afternoon.

IMG_7440.JPG.8ef0bda4cb633dbb2230dc1f4b186189.JPG

Now she is a beauty! I hear what you say about other basses, I've tried them all, God knows!! I do love other sounds, like the fizzy gurgle of a jazz, but I always reach for my P in the first instance

5 hours ago, mic mac moe said:

There's a very nice epi jack casady on here for sale

I had a Jack Casady until a few weeks ago (sold it cos I'm skint) and it was a brilliant bass. 

The combination of hollow body, humbucker and flat wounds gave it a lovely sound that was part vintage thud but also bristling with harmonics and natural overtones.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

I had a Jack Casady until a few weeks ago (sold it cos I'm skint) and it was a brilliant bass. 

The combination of hollow body, humbucker and flat wounds gave it a lovely sound that was part vintage thud but also bristling with harmonics and natural overtones.

I've always liked the look of them, and the idea of the semi thing appeals. The scientific name for my condition though, is Permaskint 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

My first ever bass was a Fender 57 reissue Precision bass, back in the 80s. It was made in Japan. Since then I have owned several P-basses (all Fender or Squier, from USA to Mexican) and they've all delivered. Standouts for me included, a 51 reissue, an all original 1978 and a 70s bitsa. However, they came and went. A couple of years ago I bought a new 57 reissue, also Japanese. It reminds me of my first bass. As others have said I've tried, owned and enjoyed several basses from Gibsons to Rickenbackers to Danelectros and beyond. There is something about the P-bass that means it will always be part of my life, even if I happen to be doing a gig on a Jazz or an upright. Anyhow, here's mine pictured just this afternoon.

IMG_7440.JPG.8ef0bda4cb633dbb2230dc1f4b186189.JPG

Now she is a beauty! I hear what you say about other basses, I've tried them all, God knows!! I do love other sounds, like the fizzy gurgle of a jazz, but I always reach for my P in the first instance

Oh well if we re posting Pics!!

the RH one is a MIM in a lovely pearlescent gold with a custom pickguard bought from someone here on BC, and the LH one is a bitsa that came from Karlfer (god bless im) as an unfinished project and I did my own thing with it.

I also have a modded Squier P/J, but that's in bits at the moment.

Yup I love a good P!!!

2018-08-31 19.41.33.jpg

2 minutes ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Oh well if we re posting Pics!!

the RH one is a MIM in a lovely pearlescent gold with a custom pickguard bought from someone here on BC, and the LH one is a bitsa that came from Karlfer (god bless im) as an unfinished project and I did my own thing with it.

I also have a modded Squier P/J, but that's in bits at the moment.

Yup I love a good P!!!

2018-08-31 19.41.33.jpg

Fantastico!! Loving the steampunk pickguard

Cheers bud, it was made for my Squier which has the whole Steampunk thing going on, but it looked way too busy with this pickguard so I swapped em over...I must have a pic somewhere.....

Buggeration..all I can find is this one, its got aged brass tuners and a copper coloured Bridge now!

DSC_0165.JPG

2016-02-26 15.24.10.jpg

Edited by Oopsdabassist
Aha found a better pic with the tuners!

1 hour ago, mic mac moe said:

I've always liked the look of them, and the idea of the semi thing appeals. The scientific name for my condition though, is Permaskint 

I hear ya fella. That's why I sold mine. Lovely, but when push comes to shove I can live without it. 

The only thing I didn't like was the collossal neck dive: totally hollow body + 34" scale big chunky neck = terrible balance. 

I originally bought it shortly after a bad shoulder injury cos on paper it was quite lightweight. But the balance meant the whole of the weight was actually on the bad shoulder (the left one) anyway.

Unless you own my actual shoulder you'll be ok. 

If we are doing pics then here's my sole remaining P bass (currently). 

Its the first one I ever bought after I'd been playing for seven years. I've now been playing for 32 years so we've been together a while.

This is onstage just before a gig at the Tunnels in Bristol a few years back. 

IMG_1256.JPG

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 2

I'm not a fan of P basses really, I find the neck a bit blocky and I like more definition and grunt in my tone - the Jazz is just a much better fit for me. However, a P pickup and a J pickup on the same bass is one of my favourite combos. A P and MM pickup is a rare combo but also works very well. I just can't get on with the sound of a P bass pickup on it's own when it comes to my playing, but I will admit that in some music it just sounds right. 

50 minutes ago, DBerriff said:

A P and MM rare? Take a scan through the Sandbergs at Bass Direct. I have a PJ myself, so this is an observation.

To be fair though, Sandberg are one of the few manufacturers who regularly produce basses in this configuration.