Why become a member? ×

German swell back. Circa 1910(SOLD). Plus 2 flat backs also available
£6000

German swell back 3/4 Double Bass circa 1910. 
This Bass is in very good condition for it's age and was constructed using top quality wood. It has a tight grained spruce top and highly figured maple back and ribs with a deep golden brown varnish.  At some point in it's life it was converted from 3 to 4 strings and has had a neck graft using beautiful figured maple, in keeping with the back and ribs. It was also given a new bass bar too.
I have played this Bass professionally for the past 7 years, mainly for Jazz. The Bass is currently set up with a new set of Helicore hybrid strings. It has wonderful warm punch to its tone and it works very well for classical too. It would also make a great solo instrument as it speaks very clearly, especially in the upper register and is very comfortable and easy to get around.

String length :107 cm
Upper bout : 53 cm
lower bout : 66 cm
Length of back : 112 cm 

I Also have two very nice old German flat back basses for sale at £4500 each. 

The Basses are located in Bath.

Edited by tommyjamesallen
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks Jezyorkshire, sounds lovely too.

I noticed in the other section that you were asking for about maintenance of older basses. This one is nearly as good as the day it left the makers workshop, but you may be interested in another bass that I have for sale which has just had a full restoration, so is solid and a lot cheaper. Check it out on Gumtree in Bath.

• Like 1