Why become a member? ×

Taking My Playing To The Next Level

glassmoon

Hi fellow low end dwellers....

I've been playing for a long time now and while I know I can play, I really want to take my playing to the next level.
I'd like some pointers on material/books/dvds etc that I should/could/must/can look at as a stepping stone...
I want to start deep diving the following points:

• Jazz theory and reharmonisation (specific to bass)
  • Speed and endurance
  • How to play using scales, modes and chord tones without thinking about it
    and
  • Slap - the elusive wow! factor
  • Oh!  And a proper daily practice routine from simple to Huh??? levels!

I am serious about this.  I have reached a plateau and I can't seem to break through despite the plethora of material I have accrued over the years.
In advance, I thank you all kindly

From Johannesburg, South Africa!
Have Bass, Will Travel...
Julian

Edited by glassmoon

Julian, have some lessons. If, like me, you find it difficult to achieve results on your own, having to face someone and tell them you couldn't do it might make you try that bit harder and achieve your results. I know that with the hints and examples my tutor gave me I turned a corner. I also made sure I played everything he asked me to, when I'd have stopped if I was on my own.

• Like 2

Thank you kindly Chris.

My biggest issue at the moment is time management with work, family, exercise and the stupid traffic I contend with daily.  I know it's not an excuse - and the lessons I have had have truly been invaluable, but for now I am pretty much a self-study guy (like it or not).... sigh... I guess I'm not doing much between 2 and 3 in the morning!

• Like 1

At the risk of being nauseatingly self-promoting, I wrote a few articles about how to practise; finding a teacher, time management and staying motivated, because I struggle with all of those things and often find myself stuck in a rut and frustrated that my playing isn't where it should be after 18 years...

I'd give a big +1 to Chris' suggestion of getting lessons, it's good to have somebody else to hold you accountable for your playing and practice. Skype has really opened things up so you can get a lesson with pretty much anyone you want.

Links are here:

Find a teacher

Tracking your practice/time management

Removing obstacles to practising

Making new habits stick

When I hit a brick wall I went and had some lessons. I wanted to do something completely outside of my remit and ended up learning to sight read (pretty badly) and playing a lot of Bach cello pieces. Really enjoyable experience for a self taught, play by ear, weekend warrior pub rocker.

• Like 1