Why become a member? ×

Bassists as lead vocalists

mic mac moe

35 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I find it much easier to sing lead vocals if on guitar, yes I can manage it on bass but that tends to be on songs where the vocal melody is pretty 4/4, anything different and it`s like that patting the head/rubbing the tummy thing, it equals certain defeat.

I once did a gig, as a drummer and was singing backing, and two women started a girl on girl kissing show on the dance floor..... Try concentrating while that's going on, and keeping your hi hat firmly shut whilst singing bahahaha!! 😆 

8 hours ago, Dom in Somerset said:

I do bass and vocals in a country trio (if Motorhead played county) , I'd previously done up to half the lead vocals but becoming the sole vocalist was quite a step up, lots of words to learn , at first I found the increased use of my voice taxing + front man duties make it quite a responsibility. You are (in a trio) the major portion of the band. Having complete trust in the other two helps, I'm not really able to consciously interact with the rest of the band , I just have to stand at the front and assume that everything is going well behind me.
The singing bass player is the next step in human evolution.

That's a really good point, all the lyrics to learn. A pet hate of mine is singers with folders on stage

2 hours ago, mic mac moe said:

That's a really good point, all the lyrics to learn. A pet hate of mine is singers with folders on stage

When we started out I did have the lyrics in a folder on the floor but soon found that I couldn't see them due to poor eyesight and stage lighting. I've had to do it the hard way and somehow I remember them now (mostly).

On 29/08/2018 at 10:30, mic mac moe said:

I hear what you say about not overstretching vocally. I'm currently doing high harmonies etc and the Sting part on "money for nothing". 

I do that, in fact I do all the high harmonies. I also sing somethings, Surfin' USA and Brick in the wall. I am not a good singer, but sometimes it doesn't appear to matter.

On 29/08/2018 at 17:27, 12stringbassist said:

I do the lead vocals in my band. we do two one hour sets.

The secret is to get the bass part solidly in your head first, making sure you play what is required to keep the song solid, then to get a lyric sheet and play and sing along with the song until you are sick of it and all of it is in your head.

Not easy work.

I've seen you, and you make it look easy! And you guys play fast, high-energy stuff, so your bassline may be simple (and it isn't always!) but it's still quick and you keep it solid. Hard work pays off. Respect. 

Edited by josie
minor typo
  • Like 1

I've always been a singing bassist, mostly BVs but I did shared lead in a blues-rock trio years ago. I've always found it relatively straightforward to sing and play (never done any Rush or Level 42 covers though!), but the one thing I cannot do for the life of me is talk and play. Just normal conversational stuff or chatting to punters, band intros etc. Nope. Can't do it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rich said:

I've always been a singing bassist, mostly BVs but I did shared lead in a blues-rock trio years ago. I've always found it relatively straightforward to sing and play (never done any Rush or Level 42 covers though!), but the one thing I cannot do for the life of me is talk and play. Just normal conversational stuff or chatting to punters, band intros etc. Nope. Can't do it.

I, find, that I, can talk, as long, as I, do it, in time.

S.P.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, seashell said:

Let's hear it for the ladies! Kim Deal, Divinity Roxx, Yolanda Charles and Sooze of course! 🙂

PS - good advice from Happy Jack as usual! x 

Absolutely! And L'dia on bass from YouTube too. Beatbox, chords and slapping whilst singing. Awesome

• Like 1

JJ Burnel often does lead vocals. 

I’m the lead singer in our lot too. Some songs take more work than others to learn, and I often find it easier to sing over fast, busy bass lines than slow ones which require more attention to timing-‘Human ‘ by Rag and Bone Man being an example, although I’m getting the hang of it now it was a struggle to start with. Some songs I don’t think I will ever be able to sing and play-REM ‘s ‘Losing my Religion ‘ for instance. We’re currently re-introducing ‘No one knows ‘ by Queens of the Stone Age, which takes some doing. 

So, three pages in and no mention of Chris Squire. Not the 'lead' vocalist but doubling a lot of jon anderson's lines in harmony throughout every YES song while playing some amazing bass. Also does his own lead vocals on Fish out of water and the thing he did with billy sherwood. 

I do backing harmonies in a lot of our repertoire and find it easier if I'm doing something totally divorced from the main melody. In over 40 years of playing I've never managed to sing johnny B goode while playing a 12 bar riff. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 29/08/2018 at 12:41, Steve Browning said:

No mention yet of James Dewar. He sang for Robin Trower for many years. Wonderful voice and, sadly, no longer with us.

For any fans of Jimmy, this makes fascinating if sad reading...

http://stringdriventhing.co.uk/heartfeeder-plus-seven-from-hollywood-to-howwood/

• Sad 1