Why become a member? ×

Bassists as lead vocalists

mic mac moe

7 minutes ago, Akio Dāku said:

Why so? Personally I'd go inears when singing, I just find them better for pitching.

If I'm on a big stage with a decent audience and sound engineers and loads of equipment and a fully-landscaped Gospel group into harmonies and whatever then in-ears probably win.

Playing in a 4-piece Grandad-rock band down at the Dog & Duck I'm more inclined to keep it simple. :lol:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

If I'm on a big stage with a decent audience and sound engineers and loads of equipment and a fully-landscaped Gospel group into harmonies and whatever then in-ears probably win.

Playing in a 4-piece Grandad-rock band down at the Dog & Duck I'm more inclined to keep it simple. :lol:

My cousins 3 piece use in ears, all hardwired, and that seems to be a good viable option. I haven't tried it myself, granted but personally when it gets too noisy on stage, I have almost a "sensory deprivation" kind of feeling. Hard to describe, but the upshot is that I over concentrate and I'm more inclined to make mistakes. 

My current band uses bose column speakers as a pa, which belong to the singer, who also does the mix. This means that it's hit or miss whether I hear myself (he mixes himself 75% above the band) and as the stacks are on stage, it's incredibly loud. 

My idea for singing and in ears is for a future idea. Although the wharfedale is a neat little unit

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Ah fair does, I use hard wired in-ears with a Behringer MA400 myself and find it's no fuss at all. They're like £20, well worth it in my opinion.

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-MA400-Monitor-Headphone-Amplifier/GX7 

I do the lead vocals in my band. we do two one hour sets.

The secret is to get the bass part solidly in your head first, making sure you play what is required to keep the song solid, then to get a lyric sheet and play and sing along with the song until you are sick of it and all of it is in your head.

Not easy work.

• Like 2

So Glem Hughes as mentioned is phenomenal, but come on guys, is no one plucking out dUg Pinnick from Kings X - Monster bass tone and soulful monster vocals - one of the best out there. Listen to all his side projects, Supershine, Poundhound, KXM, Pinnick Gales Pidgeon.

Also the bassist formThe Atomic Bitchwax - Monster riffs whilsts singing.

I am trying to sing whilst playing, I cannot agree more with learning each part separately like the back of your hand so they go together. If you right your own stuff it’s legend as you will automatically do stuff which is in your range both playing an singing, and what comes naturally.

4 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

So Glem Hughes as mentioned is phenomenal, but come on guys, is no one plucking out dUg Pinnick from Kings X - Monster bass tone and soulful monster vocals - one of the best out there. Listen to all his side projects, Supershine, Poundhound, KXM, Pinnick Gales Pidgeon.

Also the bassist formThe Atomic Bitchwax - Monster riffs whilsts singing.

I am trying to sing whilst playing, I cannot agree more with learning each part separately like the back of your hand so they go together. If you right your own stuff it’s legend as you will automatically do stuff which is in your range both playing an singing, and what comes naturally.

Good shout mate. I love early Kings X. The tone is legendary

• Like 1

I may have missed it but has this thread run for two pages without mention of Lemmy? 

I wish I could sing and play, I can barely nod yes or no to someone without completely forgetting how to play a bass for a minute. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

And David Vincent, of course! No longer with MA I think he's out doing the stuff he sang on, and MA are sticking to Tucker material only. Arguably, he is making off with the real classic stuff in that arrangent!

Bloody hell I didn't realise that. if I turned up angel never played anything pre 1998 id be mad as hell

I do bass and vocals in a country trio (if Motorhead played county) , I'd previously done up to half the lead vocals but becoming the sole vocalist was quite a step up, lots of words to learn , at first I found the increased use of my voice taxing + front man duties make it quite a responsibility. You are (in a trio) the major portion of the band. Having complete trust in the other two helps, I'm not really able to consciously interact with the rest of the band , I just have to stand at the front and assume that everything is going well behind me.
The singing bass player is the next step in human evolution.

Edited by Dom in Somerset
  • Like 4

I find it much easier to sing lead vocals if on guitar, yes I can manage it on bass but that tends to be on songs where the vocal melody is pretty 4/4, anything different and it`s like that patting the head/rubbing the tummy thing, it equals certain defeat.

• Haha 1