Why become a member? ×

Your Strengths & Weaknesses

Bluewine

42 minutes ago, christhammer666 said:

strengths- can pick like a hammer and can keep up with any metal guitarist

weaknesses- lazy when it comes to practicing. sometimes becoming very complacent...also very lazy when it comes to warming up

what is this warming up of which you speak? 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, mic mac moe said:

Some wise sage once told me that the biggest obstacle when practicing bass or guitar, is opening the case

That's why mine sits on a stand in the  living  room,  can't use a sticky case latch as an excuse not to practice 😊

Edited by Zalastar
  • Haha 1

Good thread!

Strengths - a musician's brain, good listener, good ear for arrangements, can also play other instruments, diplomatic, sense of humour..

Weaknesses - tend to play the same riffs/modes all the time, have incurable 'bass-face', always late, change gear too often..

• Like 1

On Tue Aug 28 2018 at 21:05, Bluewine said:

Fact, no matter how much most of practice and study we're never going to play at that level.

Speak for yourself!

I think it's not putting in the practice and study which is the issue. How many of us have the time to spend 8 hours a day practicing? Or even the willingness to? As one esteemed Basschater said to 'you don't need to learn how to slap to play Brown Sugar'. 

One of Steve Lawson's teachings is 'there are no secrets, here's how it's done'. 

• Like 2

On 28/08/2018 at 21:44, Frank Blank said:

Paul Raven’s (RIP) eructation goal of burping the word archbishop

Our idea of a good belch involved enunciating "Robert Runcie, Archbishop of Canterbury".

A lesser effort would just be "Margaret Thatcher", and a quick better-out-than-in would be "Bulimic" (which we felt in our juvenile way to be quite apt).

So Strengths: love a good knob'n'fart gag; quality gear, van, house in the middle of nowhere with large room for rehearsing, like to play all of the notes all of the time, funky as a mother

Weaknesses: puerile sense of humour, obsessed with gear, won't lend van to band mates with multiple driving convictions, live miles from anywhere, like to play all of the notes all of the time, will only play funkily

4 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Our idea of a good belch involved enunciating "Robert Runcie, Archbishop of Canterbury".

A lesser effort would just be "Margaret Thatcher", and a quick better-out-than-in would be "Bulimic" (which we felt in our juvenile way to be quite apt).

I dough my peasants cap in deference to your magisterial cape of burpanunciaton Sir.

Edited by Frank Blank
Defenestration.

3 minutes ago, LeftyP said:

I have two weaknesses and one strength.

Weakness No.1; I'm not very good at playing the bass yet.

Strength; I practice a lot.

Weakness No.2; I'm not getting any better!

You probably are but don’t realise it     Have a closer look at what you’re actually practicing and don’t try to cover too much at once it’s better to be able to play one thing really well than lots of things untidy  it takes time but it will come 😀

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

You probably are but don’t realise it     Have a closer look at what you’re actually practicing and don’t try to cover too much at once it’s better to be able to play one thing really well than lots of things untidy  it takes time but it will come 😀

I'll second that. You need to have some faith. Be a bass player. Walk in dem boots, and enjoy. I reckon nothing brings you on better than actual band, and gig experience. Sometimes practice at home is only like a flight simulator, you have to climb in the cockpit!! 

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  My post was a bit tongue in cheek as I have noticed my fingers going where I want them to on the fret board.  I do play in our church band but am on a rota and only step up once a month with about 30 minutes of rehearsal before the morning service.  It certainly focuses the mind!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LeftyP said:

Thanks guys.  My post was a bit tongue in cheek as I have noticed my fingers going where I want them to on the fret board.  I do play in our church band but am on a rota and only step up once a month with about 30 minutes of rehearsal before the morning service.  It certainly focuses the mind!

Good for you. I'd maybe ask one of your band mates to be a practice buddy. I sing tenor in my church choir and there's nothing we won't help each other with

Strengths:

Reliable, punctual, backing vox, book most gigs but don't get arsey if folk are unavailable (we're a one gig a month band), learn the songs, take feedback about bass parts even if it means altering something I've spent ages getting right, transport/set up PA/lights and do sound, do social media/promo stuff, decent stage presence.

Weaknesses:

Can be pretty single.minded about song choice, sometimes 'drift' during songs and balls up for no good reason, get carried away and make crap jokes between songs, always trying to spend more cash on perceived better gear for me or on the PA, book gigs as close to my house as possible!

On 28/08/2018 at 21:11, thepurpleblob said:

I have decent gear, a car that starts, I turn up on time having learned the parts

Another strength of yours: the ability to make up rhyming poetry on the fly :lol:

Edited by Rich

My strengths: reliable; punctual to an almost anal degree; cheerful and friendly; decent singing voice; blessed with a good ear, and as a consequence I pick things up really quickly.

Weaknesses: my theory knowledge sucks; can't do walking basslines; hate soloing and am quite dreadful at it; can't read a note (although I can follow a chart); and my hands are gradually succumbing to arthritis -- it will be a miracle if I am still playing in 10 years.