Why become a member? ×

Humbucking/noiseless Jazz pickup?

Bridgehouse

The new Shuker fretless has a single coil J bass pickup in it. It’s well shielded, but there’s still hum there. For the type of stuff I’m doing, I suspect that a noiseless option is the way forward.. 

Now, I really like the tone of the J pickup that’s in there - it complements the piezo pickup really nicely by giving the mids a bump and adding some growl/snarl and some higher end shimmer. 

So far, I’ve had a mooch at the Lindy Fralin split coils, the Nordstrand NJ4 SV/SE... they both seem very highly regarded, and it needs to be fairly “hifi” to match the piezo. 

I have a Dimarzio J and it’s a bit too deep for this bass, and I suspect a SD would be too.

Any thoughts or other suggestions or experiences with Pickups I’m thinking of?

I had the Fralin Dual coils when I last owned a Jazz Bass, for my taste they were exceptional.

But then I've always been a huge Fralin fan, having used their P Bass and regular Jazz pickups over the years.

Edit - I've also had Nordstrom pickups in the past, they are more hi-fi to my ears, whereas the Fralin are more vintage and growly.

Edited by Chiliwailer

If you like the single coil tone (which I do love) and need a noiseless pickup, only focus on stacked humbuckers. Why ? Because they are the only ones close to single coils as they sense the strings the same way a single coil is.

Nordstrand stacked humbuckers are very good (very close to single coils) as well as Seymour Duncan's (more muddy than the Nordstrand's). Bassculture stacked humbuckers are terrific too and Christoph DOLF can make you one exactly the way you want.

DiMarzio Area-J pickups (not Ultra J) are humcancelling and sound very close to regular J single coils. They have a different construction to most humcancelling Js with Alnico 3 magnets and less windings to retain the characteristics of a vintage single coil (rather than beefing it up). As a result they have lower output but they do sound excellent.

http://www.dimarzio.com/node/2198

Edited by ikay

Thanks for all the advice chaps. Had to make a decision and rang bass direct. 

I think the stacked rather than split thing appeals, and I’m looking for more hifi than vintage. The chap at BD recommended the Nordstrand NJ4SE so I’ve gone with one of them. It’s a neck fitting so it’ll be a neck size! 

I will update when I’ve fitted and tried it!

• Like 1

Just now, Hellzero said:

The NJ4SE is a split coil, not a stacked humbucker, so more on the P-Bass side, as it's the same approach. You will loose that magic sparkle of the single coil.

I'm not actually too fussed about that.. the main aim is noiseless and more mids to compensate for the big scoop in the piezo system. 

The piezo saddles are brilliant - don't get me wrong - I really like what they do. I also like the core sound. But for some settings (and especially fretless) the lack of strong punchy mids (either high or low) does mean you can't do a really good fretless mwah. 

I looked at the stacked ones and the Bartolini's as well - the thing with the SE's is they have a definite mid-hump to fill that gap. I'd imagine at least 75% of the time I'll be playing in the 'both' position rather than just piezo or magnetic.. 

It's been a journey has this - understanding what I want out of a Jazz pickup having never owned a Jazz :)

Plus - I'm a P man, so a bit more P-like will probably feel like home. I fear change.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chiliwailer said:

My Fralin Dual Coils (split) had an output similar to my P Bass, but still very much sounded like a Jazz Bass should, just with a little less treble which worked really well given the bass itself and my preference for that anyway. 

I did consider the Fralins. When it came to the crunch tho, I had to decide what was the priority - and for this bass it was firstly to supplement mids and then to be capable on it's own as a secondary concern. 

20 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I did consider the Fralins. When it came to the crunch tho, I had to decide what was the priority - and for this bass it was firstly to supplement mids and then to be capable on it's own as a secondary concern. 

Totally agreed you made the right move for what you said you wanted, a great hi-if pickup - I was just praising split coils as a good choice amongst many others :) 

• Like 1

Just now, Chiliwailer said:

Totally agreed you made the right move for what you said you wanted, a great hi-if pickup - I was just praising split coils as a good choice amongst many others :) 

AH I see :)

If I did a straight J project bass (which is possibly in the offing) then I'd seriously consider a pair of the Fralin splits for it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

Is there any reason why you never sought the counsel of Jon Shuker on this matter (given that it's one of his creations)? 

He is exceptionally knowledgeable.  

We did have a chat when I picked it up - his view was “depends on the sound you are after - play it a bit and work out what you want the magnetic one to do” which was fair enough. 

After playing it a bit I wanted less noise and a matching hifi midrange bump. 

I didn’t contact him specifically on the choice as I didn’t buy it new from him - and I don’t want to take too much of his time up - it’s a precious commodity and he’s a busy man.

Edited to add - I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that you didn't mean your post to come across quite as aggressively as it did

Edited by Bridgehouse

15 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

We did have a chat when I picked it up - his view was “depends on the sound you are after - play it a bit and work out what you want the magnetic one to do” which was fair enough. 

After playing it a bit I wanted less noise and a matching hifi midrange bump. 

I didn’t contact him specifically on the choice as I didn’t buy it new from him - and I don’t want to take too much of his time up - it’s a precious commodity and he’s a busy man.

Edited to add - I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that you didn't mean your post to come across quite as aggressively as it did

Ouch! I think this kind of written interaction does tend to suffer in that it can be easy to misconstrue the meaning of the intended communication. I posted the reply in a rush (multi-tasking badly) ... but on review I can see your point. It does appear a tad 'in your face!' Sincere apologies for this, it was not at all in the spirit in which it was intended at all ... 

As an owner of a 2nd hand Shuker bass I have dealt with Jon directly for similar advice and he was exceptionally kind and helpful. Jon's attitude is that if you own a Shuker bass then he will always offer you his time and expertise! I would thoroughly recommend any Shuker owner (2nd hand or otherwise) to touch base with him for a natter or advice. He is an absolute gent.

I sincerely hope your new pup sorts the noise issue. 

Edited by White Cloud

I have Nordstrands in several basses, including jazz ones in my Sadowsky (NJ4SEs) and my Japanese medium scale (NJ4s), and think you’ll be very happy. They brought both basses to life. You could also have the pickup cavity shielded while you’re at it. 

On 28/08/2018 at 00:16, CameronJ said:

If you do decide on Nordstrand, better do it quick. Just saw this post on Carey’s FB:

5E2C0B36-B4BC-4DEB-A44E-800351BADB13.thumb.png.b1eb5fc9e3056272f9b8fd74e393f39c.png

This is probably driven by the price of rare earth elements used in magnets. Mostly these come from China, I believe. As well as trumps trade wars, a big change in cost is the  high demand for electric vehicles. Rare earth rices has gone up a lot in last 2 years, even before trump. Stuff like neodymium is essential in speakers, but we'll have to settle for that vintage Alnico sound!