Why become a member? ×

Strings scratching fretboard

bakerster135

N.B. Mods - wasn't sure whether to put this here or in Repairs & Technical...Please move if inappropriate! 

Hi all, I'm looking for a bit of advice. Basically, I bought a lovely Jazz a few months ago. The bass is in remarkable shape and, after a light fret dress at The Gallery, it's playing remarkably well. 

After playing it the other day, however, I caught the fretboard in the sunlight and noticed wear from the strings rubbing against it.

The scratches are light and mainly around the first few frets on the lower strings, but I just wanted to get some advice on whether this is unusual? I've always predominantly played basses with maple fretboards and never noticed similar wear... 

The frets are the medium jumbo type, but very little wear. I'm also pretty sure I don't have an overly aggressive left hand technique. 

Also use DR Sunbeams (nickel) strings. 

Would appreciate some help and advice on this. 

Cheers, 

Al

Edited by bakerster135

Thanks, Chiliwailer, but I'm under the impression that this has occurred during my ownership...Definitely a reasonable amount of relief in the neck overall too so I'm not sure that's it. 

I really bought this bass with the intention of playing and recording it so flats just wouldn't be an option for me, unfortunately, but I'm going to need to reconsider if there's potential for any serious fretboard damage 😕

13 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

It might be worth asking the Gallery if there is a slight twist in the neck up there? It’s quite possible. 

Do you think you maybe need to try some softer rounds? 

Yeah, think I will ask them. I would've thought Sunbeams are quite soft as far as rounds go? 

7 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Same thing can be found on this bass...

http://andybaxterbass.com/details.php?id=1416

Yeah, I'd seen that. Mine's not quite as bad as that one, though I imagine it wouldn't take too long for mine to get like that if I carry on... 

I’ve seen this before. It’s not necessarily play wear but can happen if the string are pressed against the board for a long period of time in a soft case resting against something else, or if they are banged against the board (bass fell over perhaps?)

I see it as another piece of history, but if it were a clear board I would have been disappointed too.

If it’s minor wear then it’ll come out with the appropriate fretboard oil.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

How hard are you pressing on the strings to get them to touch the fingerboard?

I'm a pretty ham-fisted player but even I can't manage that feat!

🤣 Quite. Yes, just to confirm (after some self-reassuring checks just now...), this is definitely not the cause! I wish I had 1/10th of that strength in my left hand fingers!

49 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

I'm not sure that is what has happened here! Also, I imagine if he owns this bass he will know how to fret a note....

Thanks, yeah, pretty sure it wasn't that. As mentioned in the OP, never noticed this on my other basses and I've been fretting notes on one of those for 19 years! 😉

As an update, took the strings off today and gave the board a good wipe with an EB fretboard wipe and the marks have now all but disappeared...Bizarre. Anyway, shall now be taking Chiliwailer's advice and will be getting some flats on this asap to prevent future near-heart attacks... 

Thanks all for your help! 

7 minutes ago, bakerster135 said:

Anyway, shall now be taking Chiliwailer's advice and will be getting some flats on this asap to prevent future near-heart attacks... 

Glad to hear they came out :)

The strings below are great for those that lean more towards rounds

Edited by Chiliwailer

At a guess, i'd say that most of the bass' life , the  first few frets has taken most of the wear, probably because that's where it's been played the most.

You don't have to wear much of the meat of a fret to cause slight scratching of the board

• 1 month later...