Why become a member? ×

New Darkglass Pedal

Cuzzie

19 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I feel the same after upgrading my Cali CB to a Spectracomp. I can really notice he multiband when I dig in aggressively and it’s reigned in by the upper band with a fast attack to catch the peak, yet the low end still pulses, with a slower attack to accentuate the thump.

Same here, although I already had the SC, I just went back to it. Currently I like using the two TCE multi band tone prints with my Spectrdrive. 

@Al Krow where the MXR, Aguilar, CaliCB, Keeley Bassist (no saying this is only a limiter, it’s not!) or the tubes (yes they compress) in your MESA M6 have failed to provide any meaningful value to your sound with regards their compressive effects, let the mighty but tiny Spectracomp (or David as it shall now be known) step forward into the arena to slay those other Goliaths.

The Keeley is great dear Cuzzie. The best limiter in the business. Not going anywhere (other than at the end of my signal chain).

Dave (of bass 5 fame) will be thrilled that you've named the SC after him.

The tube (singular) in the Mesa M6 preamp is also a mighty fine invention.

Edited by Al Krow

Yup it has one knob controlling it but how many parameters to actually tweak and get to grips with. You’ll probably love it after all the derision😀

Pedal board real estate isn’t really a concern for me as I only really use two or three effects as you know. 

30 minutes ago, Osiris said:

How do I change the ratio, attack and release times, knee settings etc. purely through technique? 

That wasn't DB's point I was responding to Big O. It was that he couldn't maintain a uniform volume when playing his bass and needed stabilisers.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

That wasn't DB's point I was responding to Big O. It was that he couldn't maintain a uniform volume when playing his bass and needed stabilisers.

That wasn’t exactly my point, although compression can definitely help even sloppy technique and I’m not afraid to admit that I can sometimes need that!

Digging in yields a totally different timbre to plucking gently. I also like to use that technique where the fingers strike down on the string to make it bounce off the frets, similar to slap but using the fingertips. Compression lets me express these different tones at a consistent volume.

The biggest thing it brings to to table for me though is increased punch. Think about it like this - the compressor reacts to your incoming signal after a slight delay to reduce your volume. Then the overall volume is boosted to compensate. This means that for a fraction of a second, the initial attack is in fact louder than before as the first few ms are unrestrained. The attack is reshaped to become more percussive like a drum. You don’t hear the note as louder but it packs a more visceral heft! Multiband compression means you can apply different settings to the frequencies you can hear vs the ones you can feel.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2018 at 11:13, Cuzzie said:

https://www.darkglass.com/creations/hyper-luminal/

well we all knew one was coming, and the fact they stopped making the SS this comes as no surprise it’s a compressor.

Compressor haters, turn away now, this thread is not for you

Jeezo... Scott Devine gets about. Building pedals for dark glass now. 😋

• Like 1