Why become a member? ×

Plywood....your thoughts please.

thebigyin

Morning Folks, I have an old Japanese Columbus P Bass early 70s I have had it many years....its made of plywood but sounds and plays well enough...I was a tad disappointed when I found out it was plywood....but recently I have just had one of my Acoustics a Yamaha FG180 (Nickon Gakki) red label serial number dates it 1970 so another vintage model....I took it to John Le Voi a great luthier for a re-fret and minor cosmetic repairs and found out this was laminate too...but sounds great....just wondering what your thoughts are on plywood......John told me there is nothing wrong with plywood and if the laminates are slightly off from each other and the grains not running in same directions they will never split....he told me they sound just as good as solid tops.....think I was just surprised after owning these instruments so long to find out they are ply especially been made in Japan in the early 70s....but apparently this is quite common...cheers Bob.

16 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

If it sounds ok it is ok.

If it looks ok that's even better.

Pretty much this.

There's a ton of gear snobs that wouldn't be able to identify the difference between a plywood bass from the 70s and a £15k Fodera.  

During my mid-teens, I owned a Columbus Jazz copy; I listened to some old cassettes from that period recently and it sounded fantastic.  

Don't be disappointed that yours is made from plywood.  If it floats your boat and sounds how you want it to, then great.

1 minute ago, NancyJohnson said:

Pretty much this.

There's a ton of gear snobs that wouldn't be able to identify the difference between a plywood bass from the 70s and a £15k Fodera.  

During my mid-teens, I owned a Columbus Jazz copy; I listened to some old cassettes from that period recently and it sounded fantastic.  

Don't be disappointed that yours is made from plywood.  If it floats your boat and sounds how you want it to, then great.

Thanks to be honest I only found out it was plywood because it is naturally very reliced now been nearly 50 year old and I was doing some work on it and noticed it....and it was my snobbery that made me feel a tad down....but its got something about it and a lot of sentimental value.

10 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

There's fine line between plywood and some high-end multi-laminates.

This ^^^^ and there is a big difference between high quality ply and cheap as used in newer often Chinese made stuff. Quality ply is stable, strong and light.

Same as everyone else is saying if it sounds ok and isn't de-laminating why worry. After all don't many cab manufacturers go to great lengths to highlight the quality of the plywood/laminated wood they use, always stressing how void free/dense/better than everyone else's their laminate is? If it's not broke...

• Like 1

As the above, nothing wrong with a bit of plywood if it sounds good (it even rhymes). It has similar connotations as basswood, often associated with cheap and crap basses, but Ernie Ball uses it for their Bongo's which are neither crap nor cheap.  

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 2

I

I used to dream of owning a Columbus .. had to make do with a Grant Jazz Bass copy instead.  Kind of dead sounding even after I'd replaced the pickups and put an ebony finger board on it.  But when I decided to strip the sunburst lacquer to make it look like a Wal (I was 20 FFS) I found el cheapo plywood encasing a blockwood pine core, so no wonder really. 

I guess it all depends on what the laminate is made from.  If it's all hardwood then probably works better than solid Ash or Alder .. which seem to be quite popular ;¬)

Here are two photos of bass guitars that I post every time the topic of the suitability of plywood as a "tone wood" crops up.

0457_4.jpg

The first is by Jens Ritter who knows a thing or two about making bass guitars. 

25_Bassen_B25_Multiplex_01.jpg

And this one is by Baz Extravaganza. Unfortunately his site full of his interesting and sometimes very eccentric bass guitars has gone, I was able to save the images of the basses that interested me. IIRC this particular bass was made entirely out of plywood bought from his local DIY superstore. Other than to fill any of the voids revealed by the shaping process, and apply a very basic finish I don't think anything further was done to the wood. The result was an excellent sounding and playing bass.