Why become a member? ×

Splitting, then combining a signal

Hey!

I seem to have one of those conundrums where I can find lots of info, but nothing specific enough 😏

Right, I play bass in a three piece rocky/riffy band (called Hot Moth...check us out 😉).

What I want to do is split my passive bass signal into two mono jacks...have one jack going through a guitar Boss OD-3 and adding nice crunch to the signal, and having the other jack going into an EQ pedal to shape a nice lower end on the clean signal. 

Then what I’m wondering is can I converge these pedals back into one jack as one output into an amp?

Hopefully impeadance wouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Edited by matt-bass-sparkes

The LS-2 doesn't have a phase switch, no. It will be pretty obvious if you need one, as the volume will drop as you mix the signals together. I'd pick up a used LS-2 first as they're so common and see how you get on.

There's not many parallel blenders with phase switches out there, but the Wounded Paw stuff will fit the bill.

A phase switch won't always help though if the pedal doing the inversion is something that you want to be able to switch on and off, rather than leave always on. Although the bigger Wounded Paw units have multiple loops and phase switches, and you could place the troublesome pedal in its own loop.

I have a Mosquite blender with a phase switch but it's only designed for blending one loop with a clean signal; however you can 'hack' it into being able to blend parallel chains if you have another pedal that can act as a splitter, such as a Boss tuner!

Thank you Dannybouy, I really appriciate that!

This is what forums are for! 😃👍

I’ve been a bassist for almost 20 years, and was a strict “no effects whatsoever” kind of guy for many years..

And retrospectively, that was such a dumb move, as I know next to nothing about pedals 😭

I have the sound in mind that I want...a happy medium of the crack of “Panic Station” by Muse, and the fat sludge of “Out Of The Black”  by Royal Blood.

However, being a skint musician, I need to work with a tight budget.

LS-2 about £60 odd second hand I see...

• 2 months later...

If the splitting does not feel too good, you might try a x-over. Iron Ether Divaricator, KMA Tyler or similar. You can divide the sound from adjustable frequency (my choice is around 400 Hz) and put effects to those two different bands. I have fuzz and flange up high.