Why become a member? ×

Software that creates basslines?

julietgreen

I'm working my way through learning how to 'walk' to a chord sequence. I've got the theory, fine. Putting it into practice is more of a challenge. Recently I started trying to think through a few fast jazz numbers - work out what would sound ok as a walking bassline. I felt it would be handy to have a piece of software that generated a line quickly from the chords and turns it into TAB, and then incorporate some of that if it looked useful. My composer software, Finale, used to do this, but the upgrade doesn't. Anyone know of anything that does?

23 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

NO

creating music is ART not something to use an app for

it is not hard to walk between two chords, seriously

doing it well? that's the art :)

Creating music using programming is as much art as is anything else.

What's so special about stuff being 'art', anyway..?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

Creating music using programming is as much art as is anything else.

What's so special about stuff being 'art', anyway..?

really?

no point arguing with someone that doesn't understand let alone appreciate art,of all sorts.

Listen to machine created "music" all you want mate :)

• Sad 1

The best thing is to transcribe lines yourself, use them along with the chords in the lead sheets. That’s how I learned anyway. It is an art form, one of my tutors at uni showed us a formula for creating walking lines, it sounded like a formula too, there was very little beauty in it.

A good album to transcribe from is Bill Evans live at the village vanguard. The way it’s mixed puts the bass on it’s own in one channel. Scot LaFaro is the bassist, wonderful lines.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

iReal Pro does this, very straightforward. Don’t think it does tabs though, it’s midi / score export iirc. But as mentioned above it’s not a great way to study walking, it’s an algorithm rather than a human making creative decisions. Transcribing actual lines from recordings is a lot better for you.

Instead of looking for an "App that can do that", sit down, switch off the electronics, pick up your bass and play.

Remember all the scales you've painstakingly learned and practised, remember all the other tips & tricks you've learned, and... play.

Play for 5 minutes, play for 5 hours... just play.

Yes, it can be frustrating, but it is also rewarding. That's the whole reason why we play, the whole reason why we gather here to talk about playing bass.

The easy way is simply to PLAY.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Skybone said:

Instead of looking for an "App that can do that", sit down, switch off the electronics, pick up your bass and play.

Remember all the scales you've painstakingly learned and practised, remember all the other tips & tricks you've learned, and... play.

Play for 5 minutes, play for 5 hours... just play.

Yes, it can be frustrating, but it is also rewarding. That's the whole reason why we play, the whole reason why we gather here to talk about playing bass.

The easy way is simply to PLAY.

You've obviously never heard me play. :$

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

To be fair, I'm doing all of that. Interesting exchange, though. Some seem to disapprove of the use of 'algorithms' for music on a computer - all music is algorithms, though. Creativity comes from having these embedded, either through years of study, or through having the 'knack' plus years of study. I'm not there yet.

put it this way, you don't need a computer to tell you how to walk up five frets,. If one note sounds "off" play the one next to it. It IS that simple, you know the key and remember your chord tones, and you know what? sometimes the 'wrong' note sounds better.

At least that's what I tell myself hehe

I want you to find them yourself, teach a man to fish and all that.

Play along to Moondance for instance, so what if you hit some duds, just play along and you will get it :)

• Like 1

@julietgreen 

You mentioned "a few fast jazz numbers".  Do you mean you are fine at slow or medium tempos, but struggle when things get too fast?

Which particular numbers or changes are you looking at?  Perhaps people here can give some ideas of how to find a way through, if that would help.

Recently picked up a digitech trio. That’s super fun with guitar. The bass it generates is tasteful and addictive. I really like it. Forced me to play lead guitar. Very fun. I kinda wish there was one aimed at bassist where you play it a bass line and it does the chords or rhythm for you. Then you can mix up the bass all you like. Expanding on making the most creative bassline for that phrase. 

• Like 1

On 26/08/2018 at 15:41, julietgreen said:

I'm working my way through learning how to 'walk' to a chord sequence. I've got the theory, fine. Putting it into practice is more of a challenge. Recently I started trying to think through a few fast jazz numbers - work out what would sound ok as a walking bassline. I felt it would be handy to have a piece of software that generated a line quickly from the chords and turns it into TAB, and then incorporate some of that if it looked useful. My composer software, Finale, used to do this, but the upgrade doesn't. Anyone know of anything that does?

If you have Logic Pro you can do this with arpegiator. Just choose from the presents and drop the octave if necessary. Simple.

On 29/08/2018 at 11:46, jrixn1 said:

@julietgreen 

You mentioned "a few fast jazz numbers".  Do you mean you are fine at slow or medium tempos, but struggle when things get too fast?

Which particular numbers or changes are you looking at?  Perhaps people here can give some ideas of how to find a way through, if that would help.

'Fine' is a relative term. I've I'm given a lead sheet, I can fight my way through something like Stella. I can't do that with faster numbers hence thinking about working out a few lines first. I want to dep for bass with a local jazz band.

On 08/09/2018 at 21:22, julietgreen said:

given a lead sheet, I can fight my way through something like Stella. I can't do that with faster numbers 

Sorry if this sounds obvious, but can you practise the faster tunes at a slower tempo?  The note choice is generally the same regardless of tempo.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...