Why become a member? ×

Heads optimised for DB

Happy Jack

I'm gradually developing an interest in an amp head that doesn't need a Fishman Plat Pro or an FDeck HPF in front of it ... something optimised for DB with high Z inputs etc.

I've started by looking for an Acoustic Image Clarus, but what else should I be excited by?

• Like 1

Yes, I wondered about that, but Euphonic Audio do say that the impedance on both inputs is set to 1 M-Ohm.

According to my (limited) research, that's at the lower end of what is acceptable, but it is acceptable.

What does everyone think?

Use any (most) amp and stick a Felix on top, go into the effects return of the amp and bingo. Felix has two independent channels, each with three positions of input impedance, sweepable HPF or notch and a comprehensive eq section. I’d take a photo but I’ve just loaded for a gig tomorrow.

• Like 1

It is very difficult to look past the AI stuff in this situation. And with a different preamp into the power stage it turns into a capable plank amp that weighs nothing. I spent a few happy years with one and Berg 6x10 playing DB and or plank much too loud.

Edited by owen

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Don't suppose you've got a spare one knocking around? ;)

No, I've had a few different A.I. models and have settled on a Coda+ combo with removable head and a Clarus SL-2. Both work well with Crazy 8 cabs

I had the Flex Pre which was amazing but had to let that go in a trade for something I wanted.

Absolutely and utterly the @Bergantino Audio B|Amp. If we could get together you can try mine. It has an adjustable HPF and a feedback filter you can enable. A parametric EQ, compressor and a beautifully clean preamp that I’ve been really pleased with whatever I’ve plugged in to it. 

There’s the option to save three presets on it too, ideal if you switch from bass to bass. (Accessible from a wireless pedal no less!) 

For electric bass there are drive settings on board and both the compressor and drives can have a clean blend for those who like a bit of parallel processing to heat the signal up a bit.

What I do love personally, given the interest in FRFR in bassyworld, is the addition of selectable ‘speaker profiles’ that can be enabled to tweak the response curves of connected cabinets from the Berg range. Although I should quickly add that Bergantino have just released a universal tweak that also works well on non-Berg cabinets. Actually, in all honesty you can use any preset on any cabinet. You’ve just got to use your ears :)

My advice is Vintage Revolution Acoustic Box II. It does what the Felix does and it’s a bit cheaper. It’s actually changed my game entirely. I don’t do super loud gigs anymore, but even if I did, I would use whatever backline I find in the venue as long as I put the Vintage Rev Box in front of it. Made in the Netherlands by a lovely Italian chap who is really passionate about it.

54 minutes ago, dood said:

Absolutely and utterly the @Bergantino Audio B|Amp. If we could get together you can try mine.

Thanks Dan, but no thanks! That amp represents everything I like least about modern equipment ... it can't decide whether it's a musician's tool or a multi-purpose computer.

The current homepage at Berg proudly boasts: "Now shipping with 4.22 firmware!". Well that will knock yer parametric mids into a cocked hat. :facepalm:

You get a cute little LCD display and two Memory knobs and a Program button; it actually reminds me of my old Atari 1040. :lol:

The most bizarre thing of all (for a doubler) is that I can see only one Input socket, although I'm probably missing something.

Ah well.

Bass playing is just great, seriously. It's such a broad church, and there is just so much variety available to us. :)

12 minutes ago, Rabbie said:

My advice is Vintage Revolution Acoustic Box II. It does what the Felix does and it’s a bit cheaper.

So that's $870 vs the $995 for the Felix?

These are truly lovely pieces of kit, and in the hands of players like Roger and Rabbie this sort of expenditure can be justified.

Sadly, I ain't a player like Roger and Rabbie ...

:sad:

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Thanks Dan, but no thanks! That amp represents everything I like least about modern equipment ... it can't decide whether it's a musician's tool or a multi-purpose computer.

The current homepage at Berg proudly boasts: "Now shipping with 4.22 firmware!". Well that will knock yer parametric mids into a cocked hat. :facepalm:

You get a cute little LCD display and two Memory knobs and a Program button; it actually reminds me of my old Atari 1040. :lol:

The most bizarre thing of all (for a doubler) is that I can see only one Input socket, although I'm probably missing something.

Ah well.

Bass playing is just great, seriously. It's such a broad church, and there is just so much variety available to us. :)

Joking aside, it is an incredibly simple amplifier to use. You’ll just have to trust me on that one. Easier to use than a microwave oven :)

16 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Top quality electronics:
- The renowned electronic digital amplifier circuit used has been selected through numerous hours of listening tests
- Very careful electronic schematic design and implementation
- No stiff cost optimization which would have leaded to using low quality components and over simplifying the electronic schematic
- Highly optimized power supply blocks with numerous independent regulation stages and many LC filtering stages