Why become a member? ×

Go Back In Time

stewblack

13 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Not sure cthis comment is for this thread.

So weird, last night Saturday night I was loaded my bass into my car and getting ready for my gig. I remember doing this same routine when I was 12 years old.

I'm still doing it at 65 years old. I'm blessed, there's no real down side to this.

Blue

FB_IMG_1532704727556.jpg

I'm not sure what the rules to life are exactly, Blue, but it seems to me that you've won  😃

Oh, and extra points if you were driving yourself to gigs at 12... 😉

Don't spend 10 years and many tens of thousands of pounds building a studio in your house and filling it with expensive recording equipment. You'll never make a recording that your are really happy with and that sounds as good your favourite records, and you'll end up selling all the recording equipment for a fraction of what you spent on it.

If you really want to make a great sounding album, save your money and hire a producer with a proven track record in your band's genre and 3-4 weeks lock in at a decent recording studio and concentrate on the performance not the technical details.

• Like 2

Heh...

1. Yes, girls can play instruments too. That guy who said to you that girls should either sing onstage or do b**w j*bs off stage will remain a nobody forever, deservedly.

2. Don't allow yourself to be intimidated by the sheer size of that acoustic guitar your friends play. There *are* other instruments.

3. Don't allow yourself to be intimidated by right-handed instruments. Don't turn them upside down. Lefties do exist - look for them.

4. You will fall in love and live with a guitarist for the best part of 20 years. He will be grateful to you for knowing how to listen to him playing, being by his side, and waiting for him offstage. You will be grateful to him for getting you into music big time. You will even end up being grateful to him for eventually dumping you - that will be the trigger for you to start playing bass.

5. Regardless of point 4 above, don't wait until you're 41 before taking up bass! 😮:sun_bespectacled:

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Muzz said:

I'm not sure what the rules to life are exactly, Blue, but it seems to me that you've won  😃

Oh, and extra points if you were driving yourself to gigs at 12... 😉

Well I was loading my gear into someone's parents car. Parents would drop us off and pick us up. Mostly school dances, church sponsored events for teens, YMCA stuff like that. 

Usually about $20.00 a man which as you can imagine was a lot of money for a 12 year old in 1966.

Blue

3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Well I was loading my gear into someone's parents car. Parents would drop us off and pick us up.

Weren’t Dads wonderful.....

But I do remember taking as much of my drum kit as I could on the bus to rehearsals, while Dad ferried it to and from 'bookings' (they weren’t called gigs in those days!) many times.

That's probably why he helped me buy my first car the moment I passed my test at 17!

(He used to joke that the next instrument I learnt to play was going to be a piccolo.  Wonder why...)

Edited by Baxlin

Never turn down an oppertunity

This is the best bit of advice ! Always go for it... what is the worst that could happen?

and if the worst happens you stilled learned something,

and for everyone who is saying ' start before your 50's etc'. We never stop learning and if its fun its worth it, no matter when you start.

Edited by JBP

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!! Playing bass is not I repeat NOT a competitive sport. There is no winning or losing. When you play your first gig and you play the right positions but on the wrong string, don't worry, nobody else actually noticed, it's not the same as letting a goal in. 

You can, and should, be in more than one band at once. Fill your boots in your teens and early twenties because work and kids will take up more and more time when you pass 25.

Don't sell that Warwick, just learn how to use the active EQ properly. 

And don't sell the Hohner B2A, learn to love the tighter string spacing.

Bid more for that headless Washburn Status (and semi hollow ibanez) on eBay, you don't want to only just miss out and never see one for sale again...

Edited by uk_lefty

Dont let your bass playing plateau during uni and your early twenties. You'll regret it when you hit 30, you've been playing for 20 years and you're still rubbish.

You really should keep that Ibanez, it's worth more than the money.

New Years Eve 2012/2013 will change your life, enjoy it while you can.

That science job is not your dream job, don't take it.

Every time you don't buy a MM SUB for ~£200 because the paint finish is weird is a time you were an idiot.

1) Don't be afraid to play/dep/jam with someone when they ask - you don't have to be flash, or even that good..... Most people just want you to be dependable, turn up when you say you'll tun up and cover the basics.

2) Start playing double bass as soon as you can.

3) When that bell end of a a guitarist accuses you of stealing band money, kick him very, very hard in the happy sack, cos you'll regret not doing it when he quits the band ten days before the U.S. tour.  

On 27/08/2018 at 13:11, stewblack said:

Say yes to every opportunity that presents itself, never assume you won't be good enough. If it isn't want  you want you can  walk away but you'll never  know if you don't try.,

1) Learn to sing harmony BVs - take lessons if necessary when you are young

2) Don't be so loyal to every band you are in - be prepared to walk if a better opportunity comes along

3) You gotta commit - no half measures

4) See the stewblack's comment above

Edited by peteb