Why become a member? ×

Go Back In Time

stewblack

...and give yourself some good advice

As I trudged back and forth in the rain humping gear from last night's gig I thought of that scene in Red Dwarf where Rimmer's head from the future pops up from the middle of the table and he attempts to warn his previous self of events yet to come. So I'm me and just starting out on this musical adventure and this gnarly, bald, lived in version of my once beautiful face appears and says

"Whatever you do, no matter how tired you are, unload the gear and put it away before you go to bed."

What nuggets of wisdom have you gleaned from this curious calling of ours?

• Like 1

After walking into a recording session and then an Orchestra pit on the same day, the musical director for both said to me "Son, make today, the first and last day you turn up without a flipping pencil"...."Now that's out of the way, get the beers in"...I then asked if anyone in the band had a pencil?

So I could write down the band drinks order.... :D

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 2

Never mind the flash stuff, learn to play any of the classic Motown lines accurately and with feeling. And if you think that's easy, you're doing it wrong.

And when you meet a bass player who's possibly a bit better than you, swallow your pride, put your ego back on the shelf and try and learn from them.

And, yes, never ever leave your gear in the car. Ever. Your luck will definitely run out at some time.

Stop wasting your teenage years playing bass in bands thinking you will ‘make it’. Work harder at school and study something useful that will give you a good career and make you good money.

The best it gets for you is playing weddings to drunk people who just want to listen to crap music, and you won’t earn any more from it per night at 35 as you do at 16. Excercise more, don’t waste your money on guitars.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maude said:

Don't put up with sh!t. 

Don't be unpolite and don't become arrogant but never put up with sh!t. 

Much as I agree with this sentiment in principle, in practice my entire career was built on putting up with truly industrial quantities of sh!t.

Deeply depressing and unenjoyable, but it paid for my early retirement.

You pays your money ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1