Why become a member? ×

Zoot Funkmeister 32”

Merton

I have a confession. I like Jazz basses. My very first bass guitar was (is, I still own it) a Vester Jazz. I had a wonderful Status Retroactive jazz for 10 years but sold it last year after realising I prefer a medium 32” scale. Alan Cringean built me a superb Finn 5 which I modelled on a Jazz but even that went when he built me an even more superb Skelf.

So I am Jazzless at the moment, save for my Vester. I’ve spent all year playing around with ideas, considered Maruszczyk, ACG, Shuker, even contemplated trying to find a Fender MIJ medium scale jazz. I was going down the ACG route with another Finn but deep down I wanted a more traditional Fender-esque shape.

Then I remembered Mike Walsh and Zoot. He’s been building stunning basses for a few years and his recent Funkmeister builds have been catching my eye. Several months of emails and playing with specs later, last Thursday I went over to see Mike and we thrashed out the final spec (probably). So this is very very early days but hopefully I won’t change my mind at all now ;)

“The specs?”, I hear you ask. Yes. My Vester has a very big ballsy Jazz sound thanks to its Schaller pickups; the Status was similar thanks to its humbucking J pickups and active circuit. So I wanted similar and spent a long time considering all the woods and pickups (you’ll see...):

Zoot Funkmeister 4 string, 32” with slimmed down body to suit the shorter scale

Idigbo body (similar to swamp ash but cheaper as less figured), gloss black finish with matching headstock

BWB scratchplate, rear mounted V/V/T controls

Maple neck, ebony board with MOP blocks and white binding, 40mm nut and 16” radius

Nordstrand Big Split pickups 

Black hardware - Hipshot Kickass bridge and ultra lite tuners

And that’s about it. It’s going to be amazing. Mike is a very infectiously enthusiastic bass builder and I hope he has as much fun seeing this develop as I will :)

Pictures will appear when progress is made but this is such an early point in the process you’ll be waiting a while ;)

Edited by Merton
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

Some pictures of wood!

Basically it’s just the body blank being stuck together and one pic shows the template with the pickup positions too. Mike has done all the internal work on this as well now so all the wiring cavities and control cavity are carved :)

839C88C3-6632-4B50-B170-C1E9FF734F5A.jpeg

364839E1-43B7-4647-B16C-28BB32E2B36D.jpeg

9421594C-B758-4A4C-998C-7F6D99858487.jpeg

• Like 3

From Tony Strudwick's personal stock of Idigbo from the barn days.  I popped round to see him at his new place in the week and purchased the rest of his Idigbo stock, and for an extra £10.00 he planned and thickness it for me (BIG RESULT) and yes, it's lovely and light in weight as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the pickups ended up being delayed again from Bass Direct so they’ve kindly refunded me and I’ve found some in Holland which are on their way over.

Meanwhile Mike and I have sorted the scratch plate design and Mike’s started on the neck and fingerboard:

61F216E3-FC5E-4D50-B114-ABA982B078D7.jpeg

134B4E51-5247-4813-BE75-BD4118A0111D.jpeg

Edited by Merton
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, ChunkyMunky said:

Oh, I'm loving this! I can't wait to see how this fine beauty turns out. Any idea on the electronics and hardware at this stage? 

Pure and simple passive, vol/vol/tone. Hipshot Kickass bridge and (IIRC) Hipshot ultralite elephant ear tuners :)

• Like 1

So Mike received the pickups from me (finally, haha!) and has finished the work routing them. He’s done a quick mock-up with the bridge and controls in place to check how it all fits... pretty perfect methinks 😎

7143D58B-0022-4D14-84D0-EDD17FCBD5C4.jpeg

3D0E2C0F-98A9-49FF-A8CD-19C7752ACA1D.jpeg

BEFA110E-813B-4ECD-9730-8EF7EEE2F1F0.jpeg

Edited by Merton
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mike’s been productive with bits of MOP and an ebony board recently, as these pictures attest. There’s also going to be white binding round the edge of the board, which is going to look stunning given the way everything else already looks amazing :)

951EF1EE-AEF9-46D6-8347-416A6858618A.jpeg

5BB4E974-F600-4C30-83DC-FA325EF90F73.jpeg

17A391EB-147C-49F5-931B-DF7D8E71040C.jpeg

B14C7E29-EE16-40BC-8342-38C645911979.jpeg

BA0F45E7-D0DC-43DE-B4C3-A04D6422F195.jpeg

Edited by Merton
  • Like 2