Why become a member? ×

Decent headphone amp

andytoad

Hello all,

ive have been using some Logitech IEMs for a number of months, I use a wired headphone amp, quite a cheap one that causes interference through the headphones and  somehow, band P.A.

So, who has recommendations on a new type of headphone amp? It’s only for me and should be stereo. I think I’m gonna stick with wired too, so don’t need to worry about wireless setups.

thanks in advance!

I assume we aren't looking at audiophile grade amps, just stuff that you want to use with your PA... so... heres a few suggestions for starters and all will get the job done

Nice - Behringer P2, Rolls PM range, Millenium HPA In Ear (there's loads of rebranded version of this, the Thomann offering being just one, but the Studiospares one in red is pretty cool - got both the HPA and Studiospares one... and the Studiospares one looks slightly more pro). Big difference between the P2 and the rest, is one is body mounted, the other would need you to run a headphone extension.

Nicer - Fischer Amps In-Ear Stick (effectively the thing that Behringer copied to create the P2 - they are near enough damn it the same thing, so you'd buy this if you don't like buying the Behringer brand)

Nicest - Shure P9HW (effectively the P900 receiver but without the radio bits).

5 minutes ago, andytoad said:

Not sure I quite Trust myself with batteries, although I like the sound of the EQ on the shure.

The amp on the the Shure is very good - as you'd hope for the money. Although, remember, depending what desk you are coming off, you may have some EQ options on the aux outs that you are using.

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

I assume we aren't looking at audiophile grade amps, just stuff that you want to use with your PA... so... heres a few suggestions for starters and all will get the job done

Nice - Behringer P2, Rolls PM range, Millenium HPA In Ear (there's loads of rebranded version of this, the Thomann offering being just one, but the Studiospares one in red is pretty cool - got both the HPA and Studiospares one... and the Studiospares one looks slightly more pro). Big difference between the P2 and the rest, is one is body mounted, the other would need you to run a headphone extension.

Nicer - Fischer Amps In-Ear Stick (effectively the thing that Behringer copied to create the P2 - they are near enough damn it the same thing, so you'd buy this if you don't like buying the Behringer brand)

Nicest - Shure P9HW (effectively the P900 receiver but without the radio bits).

I went somewhere in the middle and I love this thing. Built like a tank with a decent metal casing . The batteries seem to last forever and I love that you can run it in stereo or mono across a standard Mic XLR cable which locks in to place. (Or standard TRS if that takes your fancy)

11 minutes ago, dood said:

I went somewhere in the middle and I love this thing. Built like a tank with a decent metal casing . The batteries seem to last forever and I love that you can run it in stereo or mono across a standard Mic XLR cable which locks in to place. (Or standard TRS if that takes your fancy)

You went for the in ear stick @dood?

46 minutes ago, andytoad said:

You went for the in ear stick @dood?

Indeed

19 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

He did indeed.

Indeed he did! 

he he he!

Yes, the Fischer Stick has been in long term service. I have two IEM set ups. One where I hard wire directly in to a Behringer P16m that is connected via 'digital network' to our digital mixer, or for gigs when I don't have that luxury, such as deps, the Fischer Stick is so easy, light and out of the way. I leant it to a dep drummer recently and he loved it.

I may even buy a P2 as a spare, not that I will ever need it mind!

10 minutes ago, andytoad said:

We have a digital desk so I’m fine to control my mix, I might try the stick then, although the EQ ability on the shure still sounds tempting.

The EQ definitely is a bonus. My P16m feed (16 channels) allows EQ on every channel, which is a nice tweak for my IEMs. But that does rely on having a mixer that is compatible of course. The limiter is also handy too and I have it on all the time. I think the Shure has that facility too.

Just now, dood said:

The EQ definitely is a bonus. My P16m feed (16 channels) allows EQ on every channel, which is a nice tweak for my IEMs. But that does rely on having a mixer that is compatible of course. The limiter is also handy too and I have it on all the time. I think the Shure has that facility too.

But of course if you have a digital desk then the chances are you can set up EQ and limiting on each channel anyway.

1 hour ago, dood said:

But of course if you have a digital desk then the chances are you can set up EQ and limiting on each channel anyway.

Nope - you’ll get one master EQ and limit over the aux. All other EQ will be that of foh or nothing at all (eg flat), depending upon the routing.

18 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Nope - you’ll get one master EQ and limit over the aux. All other EQ will be that of foh or nothing at all (eg flat), depending upon the routing.

Yes sorry that is of course correct. My head is a bit all over the place. Ignore me! lol :) 

3 hours ago, andytoad said:

Ok, so the P2 is about £40 and the stick about £120. Do you get what you pay for, is there a large noticeable step change in performance?

Should I get a P2 I will happily compare! :) I think one of the big problems is that Fischer I think isn't a particularly large company and thus cost of production is that much higher than that of Music Group who probably churn these things out for a couple of quid each. Even if they were exactly the same, Fischer probably couldn't compete. Much like the big supermarkets eating up local shops...

I've not seen the Fischer inear stick up close but I have used the passive version extensively with a band I dep with.

Passive stick - https://www.thomann.de/gb/fischer_amps_mini_bodypack_mit_lsregler.htm - I would always get an amped version, as running earphones off your aux is not great practice...

I have to say, I would be very surprised with the Fischer if it was better than the Behringer P2. The Behringer P2 looks like a more "production" ready system in my opinion... and the Fischer more utilitarian if that makes sense. The P2 for me was certainly a no brainer to have in my kit bag at £40, as the amount I use it is very limited... but does give me a lot of options now that I have all sorts of cables to accompany it. So for around £90, I have the P2 with all the cables and adapters I could ever want to make i fit in with any system. Now I understand that you may not have this requirement, but to do that with the Fischer was going to be pushing it closer towards the £200 mark... something I didn't really want to spend.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. As I say, the P2 to me, looks more finished but I can't compare the quality of the amps in either as I haven't tried them side by side. The Behringer one though, is clean enough with a fair bit of headroom on it. I think ultimately, it comes down to whether or not you want to have Behringer written on your gear. I think the Behringer name on gear is becoming less of an issue - because since the release of the X32, their PA equipment at least, has certainly notched up a level (or a good few levels).

I think Dood nails it. Fischer is small and the scale of manufacturing is against them compared to Behringer's manufacturing power.  I suspect performance wise, they will be comparable.