Why become a member? ×

P Bass - Which Brand?

SamPlaysBass

I've got a few bits of gear up for sale (will soon be on Basschat, when I return from my holidays on Saturday) and I'm already gassing for a Precision. There's a new project that will be gaining more momentum over the next few months that will really dig the chunky, flatwound P-bass sound - Motown, Staple Singers, D'Angelo Pino etc. 

My question is: does it really matter which P bass you buy? Is a Vintage V4 any worse sounding than a MiM P? Is a MiM P any worse than an American P? What is so mystical about the JV Squiers and 80s Tokai Hard Punchers and Limelight wonders that are creeping around the for sale sections? Will a Yamaha BB satisfy all these urges? 

I want a P bass, and may not keep it forever. My budget can adjust accordingly, but realistically, no more than £750 and for that it must be wonderful. 

What do you guys reckon: Is a higher priced P bass any better than a lower priced offering? 

To answer one of your questions, is a US Precision really any better than a MiM one, I'd have to say yes, the US has better tuners, better bridge, better pick up and probably better wood. 

The fact that I have a US Precision for sale here at the moment has no bearing on my opinion!

• Like 2

I’ve made a note, FinnDave 😉

I’ve got a MiM Jazz and a newer MiA Professional V, and I can see and feel the quality gap - the more substantial bridge being the most prominent. £ for £, would you say that the MiA is worth seeking out over a MiM with upgraded hardware? 

20 minutes ago, Williams4S said:

I’ve made a note, FinnDave 😉

I’ve got a MiM Jazz and a newer MiA Professional V, and I can see and feel the quality gap - the more substantial bridge being the most prominent. £ for £, would you say that the MiA is worth seeking out over a MiM with upgraded hardware? 

I have a couple of US Precisions and a couple of MiM Jazz basses, and the MiM are fine basses, but there is a definite step up to the US. I'd go for the US if the budget can stand it. I was playing Precisions far more than Jazz basses until earlier this year, when I joined a band that really required something with a different sound to a Precision. In fact, I have now made the jump to six strings, so some, if not all, my fours will come up for sale eventually.

43 minutes ago, Williams4S said:

I've got a few bits of gear up for sale (will soon be on Basschat, when I return from my holidays on Saturday) and I'm already gassing for a Precision. There's a new project that will be gaining more momentum over the next few months that will really dig the chunky, flatwound P-bass sound - Motown, Staple Singers, D'Angelo Pino etc. 

My question is: does it really matter which P bass you buy? Is a Vintage V4 any worse sounding than a MiM P? Is a MiM P any worse than an American P? What is so mystical about the JV Squiers and 80s Tokai Hard Punchers and Limelight wonders that are creeping around the for sale sections? Will a Yamaha BB satisfy all these urges? 

I want a P bass, and may not keep it forever. My budget can adjust accordingly, but realistically, no more than £750 and for that it must be wonderful. 

What do you guys reckon: Is a higher priced P bass any better than a lower priced offering? 

Ooh, that’s a can of worms question for a bass forum! :)

I think I’ve been through more P Basses that I’ve had hot dinners. In your situation, I’d be looking at a 50’s MIM P Bass or a used MIA P Bass, but that’s just because I like a Fender. The Yamaha is great, or a second hand Tokai.  Limelight etc. Something like this one in the link is great value, and is what I’d buy in your situation. 

The only one on your list I’d avoid is a Std MIM, though I’d happily use one anytime, it’s just that if you can spend a little extra I believe it’ll go along way with the right bass.   

I love my BB1025X, but it doesn't sound quite like a P. The newer models should sound somewhat closer though due to the pickups having a more traditional design.

I would look at a Squier Classic Vibe. The necks are sublime and better than the MIMs I've played.

I have a bitsa P bass:  old Squier neck off the slightly later model than the JV with Tonerider pup, KiOgon loom and a 'balsa wood' Affinity body only a few years old.  This does everything I could possibly want.

... or did until on a whim I bought an MiM Fender P.  Everything about the Fender was better, including the playing and the tone.

This prompts me to two advice options.  

Expensive:  buy a proper Fender 

Cheap:  Buy and fettle a cheap clone and don't play the real thing so you don't know what you're missing.

Edited by lownote12
  • Haha 2

I have had my fair share of USA Fenders and unless you can try one secondhand before you buy I would stay clear. I think all of mine have had quality issues of some kind and never felt very responsive. I don’t think they are worth the money new at all.

If it was me, I would go Lakland or a chunky necked MIM 50’s (both the normal and roadworns I have played are superb) or I would look at the Nate Mendel precision secondhand. I don’t think anyone has much bad to say about them, they look great and Scott Devine seems to play his a lot more that a Fender Custom Shop which says something to me.

We all like different feels and look for different qualities though, so really it’s the same old advice of try a load and see what sticks. 

• Like 2

I've played good and bad p basses at all price points. The only new US precision I've played in the last 5 years that I've liked was the relatively recent American Original 50s precision, and I really, REALLY liked it. 

The MIM 50s in the classifieds has tempted me more than once, but the neck won't suit everybody. 

My favourite p bass I've owned was an early 80's Squier SQ series that I sold in a fit of madness...

I own a bitsa P bass, consisting of a Classic vibe body, a Korean Jazz Bass neck and an unknown brand pickup (it came from the second bass I owned, bought used, in1984). 

I also own a 2018 Fender Precision Elite.

Despite the fact that the Elite cost me more than my last car, to be totally honest, I prefer the sound and playability of the cheapo P bass.

So to answer your question, play a whole lot of P basses first and then make your decision.

• Like 1

Ths build quality of Squiers has improved quite a bit. The MIMs are still pretty good. If you can afford a US Precision then go for it, then look  for a used one. If that is still too high  a price, then yes, look at the MIMs and Squiers. Bes ure you put flats on it. It is the icing on the cake.

I've played/owned/still own a lot of Precision basses - the best have been Japanese and, of these, the keeper is a JV Squier.  I'd say you can't really go wrong with an early/mid 80s MIJ Fender or Squier and they are usually cheaper than the equivalent age USA one.  Maybe I have been unlucky but I have yet to pick up a USA Precision and feel it was the perfect P.  In terms of value for money I had a 'Silver Series' Squier P bass that was bloody amazing - lightweight, slim neck, tone to die for.  Wish I'd never sold it.

Had three Yamaha BB bases in the past - BB414, 425, 5000 - and think they are all terrific but wouldn't necessarily agree they sound exactly like a P bass.  They don't have that organic quality about the tone - that woodiness that for me defines the P bass sound.  For example the P pickup of the BB5000 I had, which is arguably one of the best basses Yamaha made, was a lot honkier and metallic than any of my 'better' Precision basses.  The tone of the BB425 was nearer.

Have to say, though, that my Maruszczyk Jake 5 is as good as any P bass I have played - I guess because I was able to spec it to my liking.

It is a bit of a mix. I agree with Paul S as I have purchased a Silver Series Squier recently and can back up his comments. I also have a heavily modified Harley Benton Shorty P bass which has a Delano pick up and it sounds and plays great. Then again not quite a P bass but I have an ACG TKO short scale with a P pick up which has become my go to bass, but, any of the 3 are extremely usable and sound great but each is slightly different.

Conclusion: you don't have to spend megabucks, one of the above was less that £200, the other under £300.

I’m a Precision man through and through, my faves are the 2012 - 2016 US Standards. But there are so many variables, the main thing for me being the neck. As such it’s a difficult one to say “these are best” as what suits one of us for whatever reasons may be the exact reasons as to why another 20 of us aren’t keen. I have to admit though to having been really struck with my Vintage Tony Butler V4, so much so that I have a regular V4 on it’s way. I’ll use it as a backup and for gigs where we fly, save me taking a US Precision with me but I wouldn’t do that with a bass I wasn’t comfortable with. 

I’ve been through a bit of a journey with Precisions over the past few years. Started with a Japanese thin-lacquer 60s one that I liked so much I started looking at higher end ones. I now have two pre-CBS Ps (a 61 and a 64), and a Dingwall Super P5 for my low-B needs.

The Japanese one was astonishing value. I would happily get one of those again. 

I do like a P bass and have a very decent Am Std., however the best one I own is actually a Sandberg VS.  Light, beautifully made and very punchy with Norstrand NP4 pickups.  Here she is pre pickup swap:

5ac275e0e13f5_VS401.thumb.jpg.e087c78aebf46415280516ee374f900a.jpg

If you get the chance try out an Electra VS (the more affordable Sandberg line, made abroad but QCed in Germany iirc) as not many pre-loved German-made VS basses around.  I think I saw one somewhere recently but can't recall where it was or the asking price.  I'll have a nosey...

• Like 1