Why become a member? ×

Solid pancake plug...?

nuno1959

On 27/08/2018 at 08:18, NancyJohnson said:

and there's a load of knobbage

Think you're getting warm.

1 hour ago, Maude said:

I'm wondering how the signal can only go one way through the lead necessitating the INST and AMP labels 🤔

I believe guitarists may use these leads also. Better safe than sorry.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, pete.young said:

I believe guitarists may use these leads also. Better safe than sorry.

When a guitarist uses these leads the labels aren't to let them know which end goes into what, rather that when everything is connected it let's them know what the item is at each each end of the lead. There's nothing more embarrassing than sitting your guitar on the floor behind you and trying to bash out power chords on the amp strapped over your shoulder. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Maude said:

When a guitarist uses these leads the labels aren't to let them know which end goes into what, rather that when everything is connected it let's them know what the item is at each each end of the lead. There's nothing more embarrassing than sitting your guitar on the floor behind you and trying to bash out power chords on the amp strapped over your shoulder. 

For some guitarists I know, I wish they did put their guitar down and try to play the amp....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@nuno1959 Just to respond to your original question without getting into a discussion about technique etc., have you looked at Hicon pancake jacks?

https://www.designacable.com/components/hicon-pancake-jack-mono-hi-j63ma05-flat-angled-gold-tip-silver-and-black-shell.html

I'm no expert, but the ones I've got on some obbm patch cables look pretty substantial.

hicon pancake.jpg

hicon2.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 28/08/2018 at 21:31, KiOgon said:

'sss snake oil' innit !?

"Product Description

Vox Bass cables provide an extended, more accurate bass, as well as freedom from noise and interference that can compromise your musical experience. These products use superior grade 99.99% purity copper conductors that will give you better clarity and a more natural sounding bass range. The large solid core bass conductors result in fuller, deeper, more extended bass response, and this is combined with thinner gauge stranded conductors that give better mid and upper bass response. The exact design was established by doing hundreds of hours of listening tests through numerous types of equipment. The precision formulated, Polyethylene dielectric material results in stronger signals that yield better definition of lower frequencies, and more natural sounding bass."

Bollocks more like.

Actually the dielectric might affect the capacitance, and a low capicitance will let more treble through. Possibly their cpacitance is high, cutting the treble and thus making you think you've got a stronger bass signal. Don't even think about skin effect as it is negligable at signal level audio frequncies.

Edited by Count Bassy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

And thanks all for your input, much appreciated !

Still, i must apologize to all but... thanks to oil + a cracked water pipe on the road  i fell off my bike & was in Hospital for a while, reason why i didn't acknowledge your answers sooner..

1st i should've explained that, same way i don't break E strings for breakfast, i hit the jack every now & then, not like.. 143 times a gig !? And yes, i AM an energetic player but NOT a destructive punk hellbent on wrecking each & every bass i lay hands on !!....LOL...
  That i've tried most anything i know off in the market that is angled, that i never had this problem w/ a side jack socket as i used to have and that being an artist/ silversmith by trade i have the necessary hand skills, the tools & workshop to relocate the jack if necessary - i just wanted to avoid that on this instrument as i love it & IT IS pristine new ? Kind of thing..
  By the way i think someone asked & it's a Status S1 Classic Deluxe 4 string, in bright red metallic flake high gloss unlike ANYTHING  i would ever be attracted to in a store to begin with but, slowly became the light of my eyes… that carbon neck ? It bloody makes the bass sing..
  Speaking of PC, i would sell my first born to replace it if stollen….LOL…

Anyway, yes i play bass slightly unconventionally. A mix of power chords, octaves played as chords w/ in between string ringing out harmonics + some jugglings i've stumbled upon, i use LOTS of FX, patches i build from scratch. Some are VERY close to what i hear & want, many a work in progress..
  A lot into delays, chorus & pitchshifting, but also rabid distortion ( none of the usual bass mud but each string/note distinctly ringing distorted within the chord type of sound ? LOVE it.. )  wah wahs, etc.. + i use a Xotic SP comp, vol at 1 o'clock, blend at 9.30, toggle set on mid, as a 1 setting does it all comp.
  Some people like the music, some don't.  I've got very perfectible technique, recordings are made 1, 2 or 3 takes max in a sketch archive way to later develop, ideas coming easily, i DEFINITELY need  to rehearse & rehearse to get my sh*t right until it ''flows'' but when i finally get it right & sounding effortless ?.. The guys i play with like how it sounds & so do i but, to get those tones i must play the way i do  & that implies every now & then hitting the damn jack w/ my knuckles.

2nd, yes the socket on my Status is not as low as the photo above, i also used to hit the volume pot as well & turn it down accidentally but i have solved that simply by inserting a leather washer under the knob then tightened it down, now it takes deliberate action to adjust the pot even if i hit it !
   To give some examples i'm leaving below a few links to ''tunes'' i've posted in a web community i've joined a while back, a fantastic place w/ musicians from all over the world, of so many available genres to join in under the same roof for challenging oneself out of one's ''comfort zone'', not all imply i hit something as some are calmer than others as you'll be able to hear - as i hate recording/mixing, etc.. & suck at it, don't pay attention to the audio quality it's definitely not the best. If your stereo handles bass freqs ok, it sounds best at ''louder'' volumes, it's as if the sound ''opens up''...
   Live what pours out of my rig sounds VERY nice if i may say so myself, hi-fi but thick, lush clearly ringing notes across the full range, full of harmonics, a delight ! In the recordings ? Not so much... it sounds ''guitarrish'' as a lot of the tone's girth gets lost unlike live.
    It's in the funkier & lighter rock stuff with those ''snappy'' accent chord hand movements that i most often do the hitting. There's different sorts in there, just to give an idea :
https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-27728.php - jamming along, octv + pitchshifting, bit of chorus & comp
https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-92558.php - my bass is that 1st ''thick guitar''.. the other bass comes in at 0.28
https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-45925.php - 2 bass tracks, 1 w/ oct, 1 w/ chorus + comp
https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-30866.php - 2 bass tracks, 1 my ''go to tone'' + 1 w/ oct + od, fooling around
https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-63427.php - softer, 2 bass tracks, 1 w/ delays, 1 w/ chorus + comp
https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-27621.php - 2 bass tracks, 1 w/ octvr, 1 w/ dist
https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-36324.php - just GREAT drums & bass fun..

Sorry i added so many but it's hard to choose from 4 or 500 or so bits i have there, many not that interesting for 1 reason or another..

I tried to include in my answer a response to each one who has suggested jack options & cables but as competent as they all are i have tried if not the exact model, a very similar one of equivalent make/quality..
The right answer to me is definitely relocating the socket either Strat style or totally on it's side. I know how to do it & it's dead easy but hoped for some chi chi boutique wonder pancake jack at £75 a pop built correctly & i'd buy it as it would be a one time purchase & allow me to not modify the bass.
  Instead manufacturers prefer to make them cheap to produce & easier to break pancake jacks, let me guess why… 😉

Thank you all !!
  Nuno

Edited by nuno1959
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/09/2018 at 21:02, Norris said:

Could you make a little ramp to deflect your blows over the jack?

It would be a possibility for sure, i will look into that as a half drop of water type of cover shape ( attached w/ velcro ? much thinner

double faced tape ?..) would definitely ensure the hit would be against a softly curved surface instead of the angular/edgy jacks.

Big plus ? It would definitely save the preamp's board from getting it.. in my book that makes it a win win for little effort/expense. Well done Norris, as far as i'm concerned you totally won this thread 😉

Cheers

Edited by nuno1959
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking a little ski ramp that you could fit in front of the jack. I assume that the collisions happen on a down stroke? You should then still be able to remove the jack plug when you've finished playing. It depends how craft-ey you are. A teardrop shape with a circular cutout at the bottom could look quite elegant if you have room for it, to wrap around the socket and allow access for your angled jack

Edit: Maybe someone could 3D print you something. Unfortunately I don't have a 3D printer or I'd offer to make you one

Edited by Norris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nuno1959 said:

Yup Norris, im plenty crafty alright !! And yes they happen in the downstroke end of things..

I can easily make something out of carbon fibre hence keep the Status ''carbon motif'' going !

Cheers  & many thanks

That sounds cool. Do post photos of the results!

• Like 1

On 28/08/2018 at 15:29, fleabag said:

Fender custom shop performance are every bit as good as the Vox but way cheaper. I have a couple of these.

Only just saw that. I wouldn't use a fender lead if you paid me any more, I have broken 2, and I know no-one IRL who hasn't broken theirs in the middle of a gig. Awful things. I still have one (due to the lifetime guarantee, on its second replacement), but I certainly wouldn't take it out of the house