Why become a member? ×

Wireless systems, passive & active basses, fuzzes & distortions

JimBobTTD

Sigh. I cannot seem to find a dirt sound that I like. 

Current chain: Passive PJ or Active J > Line6 Relay > MXR Bass Compressor > Blueberry Bass OD > Tuner > Distortion > MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe > MXR M81 Bass Preamp > Amp (GK 500MB Fusion) or FOH

Other than the tuner, I normally have everything on except the distortion. It gives an excellent sound with which I am ecstatically happy. But for a couple of tracks, I need to get my level of dirt up - think "Ace of Spades" or The Hives' "Hate To Say I Told You So". So far, I have tried a Darkglass Vintage Microtubes Deluxe, a Darkglass BK3 clone, an MXR M85 Bass Distortion and a Rat clone. The best out of all those four was the Rat clone, but it had no bottom end at all.

I am after something which will retain a little clarity whilst simultaneously give a heap of dirt. A load of bass so that it hits you in the guts. I bought the MXR M85 thinking it was, essentially, a Rat with a blend, but I cannot get it to make a sound I like. It is either too muddy or too tame. 

Any suggestions? Or is it time to look at a line selector and a Rat? Truth be told, I have been considering a line selector to help balance the output of dirty v clean and/or active v passive. 

Great question. Seems to me that you need something that:

a) retains low end and allows you to further boost that by blending in clean;

b) has versatility to cope with both your passive and active EQs

Well using the PC editor you have the ability to tweak and save upto 128 of your favourite presets with this, so you should fairly quickly be able to come up with a couple of settings that work for your rig. It also won't break the bank, particularly if you can pick one up used.

I guess the key question for you is whether you like the "core tones" from the pedal - if you do, this could be a really good option.

IME you are better off with an OD/Distortion that doesn't have too much low end. It can easily get buried in the mix. I've found that some guitar distortions can be better for a heavily distorted sound.

Have you tried a Zvex Mastotron before? The impedance sweep helps tame active pickups. I'd definitely recommend it.