Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Shootout Conundrum

Fionn

With the exception of my first ‘proper’ bass back in the early 90’s (P-Bass Lyte) I’ve never been a Fender player. I don’t have anything against them, per se. It’s just that my bass journey has lead me in a different direction (Warwicks mainly). That said, I recently had the opportunity to play and compare three different Jazz basses, and it got me gassing.

One was a Mexican Standard Jazz, one was American (basic Jazz, not sure if there was an exact model name), and the other was an Indonesian Squier VM Jazz. All were made this side of the millennium, all were nicely set up, and with decent strings.

Comparing the three basses, they didn’t sound as different as I had expected. In terms of sound quality,  I felt that there wasn’t much between them (but what is down to subjective preference) really. All three sounded like true Jazz basses, albeit with slightly different tonal characteristics. The Mexican bass perhaps lacked the guts of the other two, a bit less ‘thickness’ in the tone. Only slightly though. There really wasn’t much in it.

The American model felt most solid to play, although again, I didn’t perceive that much of a leap in quality between it and the cheapo Squier model. The Mexican bass was poorest in the hands. It wasn’t finished so well either. The Indonesian Squier had a rattle coming from a tuning peg, but overall I couldn’t fault it. Far-Eastern budget basses seem to have come a LONG way since I was a beginner in the 90’s!

My query is this ... I’ve now got serious Jazz gas, and I intend to get myself one. On the basis of my experience, and considering the price, I’m thinking of going for a Squier VM. I was very surprised by the quality of the instrument, especially when directly compared to more expensive models.

Is this normal with these basses, or might I just have played a particularly good one? Generally speaking, has anyone else perceived little difference across the price-scale like this? I can’t see any reason to pay more for the Mexican Jazz when the budget bass clearly bossed it. Not so sure if this was an anomaly, and my location doesn’t allow me to play lots of different basses whenever I like, so I wouldn’t mind some advice from ye who are in the know. What are other folks experiences with these basses? How do you feel that the Squier VM compares with the Mexican standard? And are there any other cheaper models that stand out?

I’ll be buying a used bass when the time comes.

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, thebassist said:

What is your budget and would you consider second hand?

I’ll be buying a used bass, sure. Budget isn’t so important, but if the Squier VM’s are generally as good as the one I played, that’s what I’ll be going for, given that they can be had for less than £200.

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Don't rule out other brands - Fender aren't the only company building Jazz basses. I know there's some love for the Sire Marcus Miller basses...Good VFM too.

Agree with this completely. The Sire V7 is imo a step up from both the Squier and the mim. Have you checked out the new 2018 G&L JB tributes? They look very tasty at a good price point.

Edited by White Cloud
  • Like 1

I can appreciate this. 

I've owned a few Jazz basses, various price points, and to me, they all sounded a bit polite. Never really any of the tones I was hearing when others played them. 

It may be over budget, but the Geddy Lee range I have found I love over any other Jazz's. Had MIJ, MIM, and now a MIA. 

It was more the point of looking all over. I always thought if I had a US Standard, it would sound better than xyz...I found to me, that wasn't the case. Well built, but a little sterile. 

Edited by spongebob

I have 7 jazz basses  mim and Mia and everyone sounds and feels different but a while ago I bought a tokai jazz not particularly expensive  ,   and it is great  it’s been my go to bass since I got it.   I always thought the more money you spent the better it would be but it doesn’t seem to work that way 

1 hour ago, White Cloud said:

Have you checked out the new 2018 G&L JB tributes? They look very tasty at a good price point.

Wish you hadn't posted this..there have been a few on eBay and Gumtree recently...look great VFM and they come well recommended.

I'm now GASsing for something I really don't need.

• Haha 1

Just now, TheGreek said:

Wish you hadn't posted this..there have been a few on eBay and Gumtree recently...look great VFM and they come well recommended.

I'm now GASsing for something I really don't need.

Don`t be silly. Of course you need one! Man up!!  😀

• Haha 1

I've owned a few Jazz basses over the years, all of them Fender. Thus follows the rambling story of my Jazz Bass life.

My main Jazz at the mo is a Japanese '75 reissue which I can't find any fault with, (it's not stock though, with aftermarket pups). When I first picked it up it felt instantly familiar... I bought it because it was a ringer for the first serious bass guitar I ever owned, an original USA '75 Jazz, that I had to sell in the late nineties. I paid a little over the odds for a Jap Fender because of its rare colour combo. Too much time has passed for me to impartially compare the original and the reissue but I seem to recall the american '75 was a lot heavier, or perhaps I've imagined that because of all the other heavy 70's Fenders I've encountered over the years.

Before the Jap was an S1 American standard circa mid noughties. I'd agree with the comment above and describe this, when stock, as a bit too polite and perhaps a bit sterile. The body lifeless compared to a resonant nitro finished P bass I made a couple of years ago, but that's a criticism you could make of alot of poly finished guitars. I solved the lack of character with overwound pups and Jamerson strings. It had the nicest neck and fretwork I've yet to encounter on a Fender and. for me, I consider the premium I'd pay for the american version is the quality of the neck. I didn't want to sell it, but my finances at the time dictated otherwise, and I would happily buy another american standard or the new professional.

I've never owned a mexican Jazz and that's mainly because my friend has a 90's one which I really don't like. He gigs it regularly and I don't want to tell him I think his bass is a dog. The G string's too close to the edge of the fretboard and the frets are poorly finished. The pups meh and the weight middling. Very underwhelming overall and, although I belive it when people tell me Mexican Fenders have upped their game, it's put me off. I did once play a roadworn P in a shop and that felt great.

Just the other week though I bought a second hand Classic Vibe Jazz. This is my third classic vibe (I wish I'd kept the other two) and I can't stop picking it up! It sits next to my Jap Jazz and it's not a better instrument in my opinion, but I just keep picking it up to marvel at the quality of it! The pots are a bit shonky and pups a bit nonedescript but the neck feels great and the whole thing has a lovely solid feel to it. I've never tried a VM so can't compare.

TLDR;?

To my mind, the best bang for buck Fender/Squier Jazz is the Classic Vibe.

7KERs3G.jpg

There is no competition. Ive had 4 now 3 5 strings and a 4. The best bang for your buck Jazz Bass is a Sire V7. The preamp can go from passive to active with no volume change. There on the most part very well made. Look amazing, Sound epic. Imo Sire's are hands down way better than any squire, or even a USA Fender imo.(unless its a American Vintage 74) They sound like a boutique jazz bass..  They are a no brainer..If they charged £1000 for a V7 I wouldnt think I was getting a bad deal.

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 3

I'm a fan of the Sire MM basses too.  I love the neck on my V7 fretless, very easy to play.   

I'm sure there are better instruments particularly for 4-5 times the price, but I preferred mine to a new Fender Pro Fretless. Having said that I tried another Fender Pro in a shop recently and loved it, so it may have been the one I bought before was a dud. 

I bought and returned 3 other basses before fixing on the Sire MM. 

Edited by wambamalubop
  • Like 1

On 25/08/2018 at 12:33, JazzBass4624 said:

The Squire VM and CV series are certainly good quality instruments. From what I've heard and read the CV series are the best. I have a CV60 strat and it's a top guitar.

From the few I tried I would agree with this - all the CVs I tried were noticeably superior to the VMs. I bought a VM as it was the style I wanted, but upgraded soon after. I think a CV would have stayed a lot longer.

I've had jazz bass's from 50 to 1500 pounds and have found that the price generally doesnt reflect quality or sound very much at all

i would say if you want passive go for a vmj as they are great and if you want active go with a sire v7 as you cant really get any better at any price point.