Why become a member? ×

Aretha Franklin wasn't the queen of soul.

bubinga5

There i said it. She was Pop/Funk/gospel. The real queen of soul music (and of course this is only my opinion) is Anita Baker. I feel strongly about this because soul music is my passion, and it is the foundation of my upbringing and musicality. Anita Baker Imo is the real queen of soul music.  .Knowone comes close to how many great records she recorded. But who knows about her.? Not that many. But lots know this classic. Not many singers can sing live and sound as good as her. A 5ft 3 woman with this that much power and control in her voice. Fantastic pianist too.

Yeah, she is a terrific singer and certainly one of my favourite vocalists/musicians. But she certainly isn’t/wasn’t  overlooked/unheard of. ‘The Rapture Album’ sold over 8 million copies, with two tracks receiving a Grammy each. There are over 30 of America’s finest session musicians and singers on that Album and it was a pretty big deal back in the 80’s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapture_(Anita_Baker_album)

Edited by lowdown

36 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Yeah, she is a terrific singer and certainly one of my favourite vocalists/musicians. But she certainly isn’t/wasn’t  overlooked/unheard of. ‘The Rapture Album’ sold over 8 million copies, with two tracks receiving a Grammy each. There are over 30 of America’s finest session musicians and singers on that Album and it was a pretty big deal back in the 80’s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapture_(Anita_Baker_album)

If I asked 10 people randomly in the high street who they knew as a singer. Aretha Franklin or Anita Baker.? We know the answer to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went to see Anita at the Birmingham NEC back in 98 with my sister. She had some backing singers that I found out were the Perri Sister's. I then bought there album called, The Flight. To this day Its in my top 10 albums. There voices, the music, the keys the bass playing are just fabulous. 

I feel like I'm poking the bear here but what then do you make of James Brown as the 'Godfather of Soul'?  He was known more for his funk years than his crooning early days but still gets the title.  For me, it's always been Otis.  Otis, via Michael Jackson, got me into music in general.  Natural progressions and that led me to where I am now but seems a bit like taking a dump on a recently deceased indisputable legend for the sake of opinion.  It's a meaningless title really, a sales pitch, but she is quite easily one of the most influential artists of all time and if musical monarchy is decided by the people, she's easily the queen.  Never mind that she was making music a decade before Anita (not to discredit here, I consciously know but one of her songs).  Almost akin to calling Charles Bradley or Sharon Jones the king/queen of soul when they passed.  Charles Bradley is the only artist that I've literally cried (emooooooo) every time I've seen him, live or on video ffs.  That makes him the king of my soul but what does that mean to anyone else?  About as much as the rest of this rambling message, probably.

• Thanks 1

I think it's stupid anointing people with titles like this. It's somewhat self-aggrandising of whoever does the anointing. Who appointed Pervis Spann (who?) as the arbiter of who was or wasn't soul royalty?

Personally, I think she had a jolly good voice. I think it would be idiotic to have a title that was bestowed on her by some long-forgotten DJ get in the way of that.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Misowaki said:

I feel like I'm poking the bear here but what then do you make of James Brown as the 'Godfather of Soul'?  He was known more for his funk years than his crooning early days but still gets the title.  For me, it's always been Otis.  Otis, via Michael Jackson, got me into music in general.  Natural progressions and that led me to where I am now but seems a bit like taking a dump on a recently deceased indisputable legend for the sake of opinion.  It's a meaningless title really, a sales pitch, but she is quite easily one of the most influential artists of all time and if musical monarchy is decided by the people, she's easily the queen.  Never mind that she was making music a decade before Anita (not to discredit here, I consciously know but one of her songs).  Almost akin to calling Charles Bradley or Sharon Jones the king/queen of soul when they passed.  Charles Bradley is the only artist that I've literally cried (emooooooo) every time I've seen him, live or on video ffs.  That makes him the king of my soul but what does that mean to anyone else?  About as much as the rest of this rambling message, probably.

Did he not give himself this title ? Along with “the hardest working man in show business”?

Ann Peebles for me, you don’t often hear her name said, but she plain slays.

Not going to get into the King/Queen debate, but I can see this happily transforming into notable others, who maybe should have had the title, bit like an Olympic final, but it’s the music business so no drug disqualification.

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 2