Why become a member? ×

The Allman Brothers. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed.

bubinga5

One of my all time bands, they played at the very first Knebworth Festival in 1973, it was a joy to see them live.

Devon (son of Gregg) Allman and his band with Duane ( son of Dicky) Betts are doing a few dates in the UK in September.

Edited by steantval

I play in an Allman Brothers band, only 2 gigs a year mind. I never liked them back in the day. Endless guitar solos never did much for me!

In this band we've got 2 very good guitarists which is fun. I still doze off in E Reed though.

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

I play in an Allman Brothers band, only 2 gigs a year mind. I never liked them back in the day. Endless guitar solos never did much for me!

In this band we've got 2 very good guitarists which is fun. I still doze off in E Reed though.

Is that Jule's band?? 

9 hours ago, chris_b said:

Might be!! There is a mighty Jules on one of the guitars. In fact the band is based around him.

Fothers! I didn't think that there could be too many ABB tribute bands round in that neck of the woods. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, peteb said:

Fothers! I didn't think that there could be too many ABB tribute bands round in that neck of the woods. 

That's him. Good isn't he? We're not really a tribute band. Just come together and have some fun jamming through a set of Allman Brothers songs. If you've seen the videos, it's pretty loose!

Toured with The Allman Bros back in '91 when they, and The Beach Boys, were in Europe. Never really knew much about them, other than they had "legendary" status. First met Gregg just before the first show in Berlin: He walks into our dressing-room, introduces himself and strikes up polite conversation. All the time, we couldn't help but notice that he seemed to be distracted by the various bottles of booze laid out neatly on a table. After a couple of minutes of chat he asks if he can pour himself a drink, "Sure Gregg, help yourself!" After 1/2 an hour and a couple of shots of something-or-other he said his goodbyes. We all discuss "What a nice friendly chap Gregg is" only to discover, later on, alcohol was banned from The Allmans dressing room. :(

• Like 1

Where is this ABB band based - I'd like to hear that sometime. In fact, we could even do a recreation of the Fillmore gigs with your ABB and the Grateful Dead tribute I play in! We might need a Peter Green lookalike to come and jam with us, though :)

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

That's him. Good isn't he? 

Yeah, he's not too bad! Funnily enough, we were just talking about him last night with another guitar player who plays with him (Steve Wright) at Colne Blues. 

I have seen some YouTube clips of the ABB band a while ago. Will have to take another look...