Why become a member? ×

Flats on a MIJ P for indie + punk?

clunkie66

I've just recently joined a cover band playing mainly indie, punk and some classic rock.

Have just had a MIJ precision imported from Japan and was debating string choice, I played with Rotosound flats on my jazz and loved them but am thinking they might be too 'warm' for the punk stuff. How about half rounds - best of both worlds, or go with the flats and amp up for the brightness? Currently strung with rounds, which I'm not a fan of.

Opinions appreciated...

2 hours ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

I would have thought flats would be the antithesis of the sound you’d want for punk. When I think of punk bass a bright, aggressive tone is what springs to mind - i.e. roundwounds.

No amount of EQ will make flats sound like rounds.

+1 on the Punk sound.

Unless you are trying to redefine the sound of Punk bass I'd stick with rounds.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, antnee said:

If you have some cash lying around you could try Ernie Balls Cobalt Flatwounds, had more of a round sound but with the feel of flats.

Expensive though.

This. EB Cobalts are *really* bright flats. 

20 hours ago, Raggy said:

I use Chromes in my punk band, i dig in really hard with a pick. With a three piece, the bass tone sits really good underneath the guitar.

I have to say I’ve had the same experience as Raggy with P’s and other makes of flats - mostly TI’s and Group III’s.

It certainly nails that classic Paul  Simonon sound IME!

• Like 1

Wow, resurrection of an old thread. I know the OP doesn't like rounds, but maybe pure nickle rounds? They are not as rough, a lot smoother on fingers than steel rounds, and have a bright, warm tone which would be the balance between punk and anything else.

Edited by hooky_lowdown

• 2 weeks later...