Why become a member? ×

Joining another band...staying in first?

Mickeyboro

On 27/08/2018 at 21:51, Bluewine said:

It depends on what your in this for, the creative outlet of the bluesier band or the gigs of the cover band.

I always contend you can't be in 2 bands that gig a lot without big schedule conflicts. There's only so many Fridays & Saturdays.

Blue

I agree Blue. I was in 2 bands a couple of years ago and it wasn't an issue. Neither band gigged every weekend. One of them, an originals band, spent more time writing, recording and promoting than playing live. Now I'm in 1 band, but we play 3 or 4 times a week. I'd always be letting someone down trying to juggle another band now, and it wouldn't be fair of me to do so. If I'm free and want another gig then I just pick up a dep gig. 

19 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Hello - OP again.

My main worry is telling band one I won't be available as much... I hope. They build their social lives round the band and any withdrawal/unavailability is already frowned upon. I can see it all getting a bit sticky! 

Guess the other alternative is to use the threat of another band to make this one more satisfying, eg changes in repertoire etc.

One of my big issues with band mates has always been the differing interpretation of what "being really committed" means in practice. Always seems to be the lead guitarist who says that he's completely committed to the band when it's forming, who starts cancelling rehearsals because Arsenal are at home or on TV that week, or he's booked tickets to see a film with his other half, or has to do the weekly shop so he's going to be a couple of hours late...

Never had a problem with anybody who has a decent excuse, including commitments for other bands.  And while I've always enjoyed the social element of hanging out with band mates, it usually tends to be two or three of us, and there's never been any judgement on the band member who can't stay for a pint after practice or needs to get home for some other reason, as long as they can make practice on time.

17 hours ago, radiophonic said:

There's the problem, right there. We get on fine but unless we're at a gig, I don't really hang out with the bands I play in. 

Neither do I, and I believe it's the reason I get along with everyone.

I really don't see the other band members until our sound check at gigs.

Blue

11 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Neither do I, and I believe it's the reason I get along with everyone.

I really don't see the other band members until our sound check at gigs.

Blue

In my experience, it's not an issue when everything's going well - turn up, do your job, no complaints and everyone's happy.

When things aren't going well for whatever reason it can become another reason to complain about somebody.  Or possibly it's more that when you are only being judged on your contribution to the band, it's easier for the band to focus on playing issues rather than letting things like how good a friend you are, how you always get your round in and are always up for a beer, etc muddy the water.  It's definitely harder to sack someone you see as a good mate even if their playing is well below par