Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass wiring advice please

Jimothey

Hi I had a quick search on here for the answer but couldn't find out what I need to know?? 

I need a bit if advice I'm going to be wiring up my 5 string Jazz-ish bass I'm using this wiring diagram as a reference

_20180824_005443.thumb.JPG.bdec7274c37a635725f9a265c5a0c6a2.JPG 

If I wire up exactly the same as this I have to move a couple of wires from one terminal to another but my pickup wires branch in to 2 a white sleeved and a red sleeved with an unsleeved wire wrapped around it the red?? Am I right in think that the white is the hot and the red is the ground? 

So do I solder both the red and the unsleeved to the top of the pot as a ground or do they need to be wired up separately?? 

Thanks for any advice in advance😃

It's possible you could be right, but not sure if you're describing plastic/fabric sleeving or is it a woven metal screening round the hot wire?

If it's a screening round the hot wire, it will be the screen that's ground. If this is the case, they might be 2-coil pickups.

Lets make it easier - what make are the pickups? Or, where did you get them?

Edit:

Is it like this, but single core?

Shielded_Cable.jpg

Edited by Grangur

1 hour ago, paul_5 said:

Which make of pickup are they? Usually single coils (most Jazz bass pups) only have 2 wires, you might have an extra wire for noise cancelling or something similar?

The pickups are the originals that come with the bass according to the spec details online they say they are Powersound (never heard of them!?!) 

I thought that maybe the unsleeved wire is for shielding purposes but I'm unsure whether to solder it with the red or not?? 

Edited by Jimothey

If white is hot then red should go to ground along with the unshielded wire. The bare wire is probably being used to earth the polepieces or could just be a shield. The red and white wires will be from opposite ends of the coil so one will be hot and the other cold (ground). If you leave either of these unconnnected the pickup will effectively be open-circuit and you won't get a signal.

Edited by ikay

11 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Unconnected. 

Try it without the red wire, just put some insulation tape over the end.

have you got a multimeter to check the DC resistance of the pickups with the red connected to ground or hot?

Yeah I have I'll check it later

2 minutes ago, ikay said:

If white is hot then red should go to ground along with the unshielded wire. The unshielded wire is probably being used to earth the polepieces. The red and white wires will be from opposite ends of the coil so one will be hot and the other cold (ground). If you leave the red wire unconnnected the pickup will effectively be open-circuit and you won't get a signal.

That makes more sense because if you don't need to connect it then what's the point if it being there in the first place 

I'll hopefully get it wired up over the weekend 

Thanks everyone for your help 👍

4 hours ago, Norris said:

Wouldn't the shielding be round the hot wire (i.e. red)? Otherwise it wouldn't be shielding the signal 

On all the diagrams I've looked at the white is the hot because it always goes to one of the terminals on the pot and the red goes to ground on the base of it? 

I've looked again at the pickups and I thought the unsleeved cable wraps round the red the whole length to the pickup but it only is wrapped round when it comes out of the sleeving of both cables it looks like it's just in the middle of the two? 

_20180825_151720.thumb.JPG.2d7b0fb412a3bb2fe9a6f37e66d86db0.JPG

Edited by Jimothey

On 24/08/2018 at 01:03, Jimothey said:

Am I right in think that the white is the hot and the red is the ground? 

So do I solder both the red and the unsleeved to the top of the pot as a ground

Yes and yes, you answered your own questions in the first post!

14 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

Yes and yes, you answered your own questions in the first post!

I thought I was right but I just wanted to check thanks everyone

Just out of interest how much do you charge for a standard P bass solderless wiring loom? 

• 2 weeks later...