Why become a member? ×

Impending NBD

AndyTravis

Sorry to hear of this awful roller-coaster ride you've had Andy :(
I had a bad experience years ago, and I must admit, it put me off shipping basses
Whenever I read a thread like this, I can hear myself thinking "That's it, collection / meet-up only, when buying or selling basses!"

Of course, I have bought a couple from people on BC when posting was the only option, and mostly things have been OK
Though even then, a bass was "in transit" to me for 3 days longer than it should have been.... I was worried then, I can tell you
I still hate the thought of posting one of my own basses though.....

Real shame about the damage to that first one - it looked a superb instrument
Mind you, I like the look of your new Guild too

Glad it got sorted matey :)

• Like 1

So it’s wearing Thomastik Infelds Which are a bit old.

The TI flats I used to have I loved, these feel too rubber band like for me.

I’ll have to invest in something else as these aren’t going to work for heavy pick playing - they actually feel like the strings from the Guild Mini Jumbo bass I tried and like the taylor GS bass strings.

The Tacoma seemed to be loud and a bit unrefined, this is loud and pleasant sounding - I think the TI’s suck a bit of volume and round off the edges sound-wise.

It’s lovely - 20 odd years have seen the nitrocellulose lacquer develop some checking/crazing. I’ve seen 10 year old Les Pauls with much worse - adds to the charm of the thing.

I am smitten, I am in deep Smit.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I wonder if La Bella low tension flats would give you that feel back? 

If not, I bet it's that specific set of TI's....

There’s another set of strings in the case. I wonder if they’re the standard tension ones...

these floppy TI’s are growing on me...

Hi,

a couple of days into ownership now so I thought I’d feed back a bit.

This Guild is singularly the most special acoustic bass I’ve ever played - I could tell the Tacoma was a beautiful instrument; akin to a Taylor - clinically good, a real workhorse instrument with a solid, functional existence. I found it to very like the Furch acoustic I played at a trade show - another great example of this type of instrument.

The Guild is much more like a Gibson or Martin, you feel like you’re playing something with heart and soul - the bass resonates and there’s a warmth to the sound you don’t get with other ABG’s.

The problem is - it’s loud. So I can only play it while the kids are awake. When I play while the kids are awake they want to watch, or join in...so I can’t enjoy it in peace.

Just had an offer accepted on a new house with a separate garage - so I’ve been given the nod on an external “studio”...bloody love my wife.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Hi,

a couple of days into ownership now so I thought I’d feed back a bit.

This Guild is singularly the most special acoustic bass I’ve ever played - I could tell the Tacoma was a beautiful instrument; akin to a Taylor - clinically good, a real workhorse instrument with a solid, functional existence. I found it to very like the Furch acoustic I played at a trade show - another great example of this type of instrument.

The Guild is much more like a Gibson or Martin, you feel like you’re playing something with heart and soul - the bass resonates and there’s a warmth to the sound you don’t get with other ABG’s.

The problem is - it’s loud. So I can only play it while the kids are awake. When I play while the kids are awake they want to watch, or join in...so I can’t enjoy it in peace.

Just had an offer accepted on a new house with a separate garage - so I’ve been given the nod on an external “studio”...bloody love my wife.

I, for one, am really pleased this story has had a (more than) happy ending. 

So much so, I've even broken my own self-imposed posting break to say as much. 

Most chuffed for you mate.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

I, for one, am really pleased this story has had a (more than) happy ending. 

So much so, I've even broken my own self-imposed posting break to say as much. 

Most chuffed for you mate.

Me too - first rehearsal ‘proper’ next week with the singer. Violent Femmes magic here we go!

• Like 1

So I got 2 hours with the guild tonight, just a magically playable bass.

the only nark is these strings which (now) feel great but are a bit lifeless...also the g string has loads of play wear on it so for some weird reason it’s buzzing on one note...the wear is actually a noticeable divot in the string at that point.

Maybe the guy really liked that note.

Think i’ll get a new set of the Thomastik strings on and while the old ones are off I’ll oil the bridge and fingerboard as well as polish the frets - I get the feeling this has sat on a stand for too long.

There’s a clip inside the bass to tether the wires and one wire has jumped out so I’ll sort that too.

On board preamp is decent, enough scope - hoping to hear it through an amp soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Guild all the way... I'm sure the Tacoma is a great thing, but for me it would absolutely be the Guild!

I think that this whole story was meant to play out exactly as it did, sure it's been a bit of a ball ache, but you now have a truly exception acoustic bass and will probably enjoy all the more because of the long ride to it's eventual delivery.

Keep it, treasure it, or... sell it to me! :) 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Guild all the way... I'm sure the Tacoma is a great thing, but for me it would absolutely be the Guild!

I think that this whole story was meant to play out exactly as it did, sure it's been a bit of a ball ache, but you now have a truly exception acoustic bass and will probably enjoy all the more because of the long ride to it's eventual delivery.

Keep it, treasure it, 

..and you won't have to anger Mrs T ;);)

Edited by TheGreek
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So. This really hasn’t taken off. Everyone who was originally involved has gone quiet. Everyone who came as a backup has gone quiet.

the Guild is still mega beautiful though.

Having a long hard think about my gear, and my music. Time isn’t available to me and I’m not sure what I’m getting out of all of my gear.

i do this with alarming regularity.

i do more buying and selling than playing and the more I realise this...the less I worry about the lack of playing.

9 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

So. This really hasn’t taken off. Everyone who was originally involved has gone quiet. Everyone who came as a backup has gone quiet.

the Guild is still mega beautiful though.

Having a long hard think about my gear, and my music. Time isn’t available to me and I’m not sure what I’m getting out of all of my gear.

i do this with alarming regularity.

i do more buying and selling than playing and the more I realise this...the less I worry about the lack of playing.

During periods that I am really busy playing I hardly ever buy anything... but then I hit a quiet time, and here come the new basses, FX pedals, and time spent looking at things I could buy to streamline this or that. I think it's a mechanism to compensate. Then when I buy things, and I'm stil in the quiet phase, I get a bit restless because I am not really using all that stuff and it seems like such a waste and I feel a bit silly for spending so much time (and money) on it all.

It goes in cycles for me.