Why become a member? ×

Impending NBD

AndyTravis

Hmm...

”sorry, How about a full refund and we will have to repair it and sell it cheaper?”

‘I was quite taken with the idea of keeping it and getting it sorted...what can we do?’

”£549, you get your guy to repair it?”

’that’s not going to work.’

• Confused 1

(Copied from a PM with @Dood)

Well, 

they said they’d repair it and sell it for £549, that means a repaired Tacoma Thunderchief is “Worth” £549 repaired.

so, why should I pay £549 plus repair costs?

bearing in mind it’ll get back to them as a box of firewood if they use UPS again. They also have to pay for collection.

I thought £349 would’ve been the good thing to do - having worked in a shop, I know they’ve only given £300-£400 for that bass in P/X.

And I’d pick up the repair cost and incurred loss in resale value...

• Sad 1

They are missing out the vital bit of the equation here - they will be covered for any losses from the original sale value by their insurance. 

If it was £800 and then was deemed as £549 after then they would get the difference back - still the same profit for them. 

If it was £800 and then was deemed as £349 after then they would get the difference back A still the same profit for them. 

Which appears to be totally missing from their above response... 

The deal on the table at £549 with you repairing it STILL leaves them with the ability for them to claim the difference and they lose nothing AND gain more as they don’t pay for the repair - but you are paying for the repair instead.

Back to Mansons for a full refund. It's a real shame as it's an instrument you really wanted, but you shouldn't have to bear any of the costs and future losses because of Manson's failure to deliver. - They will of course blame UPS for their failure to deliver, but as UPS is a service that Mansons provide as part of their business, Mansons are completely responsible. 

If they kick up a stink, then we're all happy to hear about it here.

• Like 2

Just as an aside - the maths should work like this

Damaged guitar =

Original price - cost of repair - adjustment for price as a damaged repaired instrument. 

So, total cost should be £549 as deemed price for a damaged repaired MINUS the cost of the repair, because as @Dood points out - it’s their liability to repair it before sale and thus their cost. 

40 minutes ago, Dood said:

Back to Mansons for a full refund. It's a real shame as it's an instrument you really wanted, but you shouldn't have to bear any of the costs and future losses because of Manson's failure to deliver. - They will of course blame UPS for their failure to deliver, but as UPS is a service that Mansons provide as part of their business, Mansons are completely responsible. 

If they kick up a stink, then we're all happy to hear about it here.

This. How was it packed? An instrument like that should be double boxed in a hardcase....no doubt.

They’ve countered with £450.

spoke to a local luthier...£200 to repair as an estimate.

so it’s just not viable.

But once I’m refunded and it’s gone, i’ll be looking at the fretless which is available locally and getting frets put in which will end up £150-£200 on top Anyhow.

thing is, to get it fretted elsewhere cheaper, I couldn’t just send the neck off and then the new bass is back at risk of being smashed too.

so I give up.

34 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

This. How was it packed? An instrument like that should be double boxed in a hardcase....no doubt.

It was single box, but 3/4 wraps of thick bubble wrap and bumpers on top and bottom. Not exactly how I would’ve sent it but I’ve received stuff in much worse packing and better states.

Ive also preciously received much better packed in hardcases with snapped necks and body damage...

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

They’ve countered with £450.

spoke to a local luthier...£200 to repair as an estimate.

so it’s just not viable.

But once I’m refunded and it’s gone, i’ll be looking at the fretless which is available locally and getting frets put in which will end up £150-£200 on top Anyhow.

thing is, to get it fretted elsewhere cheaper, I couldn’t just send the neck off and then the new bass is back at risk of being smashed too.

so I give up.

Where are you based Andy?

12 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Salford

Steve Robinson - Manchester Guitar Tech will fret to the highest standards - he refretted a 1960 Les Paul special for me and it was immaculate. I trust him implicitly and his rates are very good - you could drive it over to him as he is Altringham or Trafford way..

Yeah I felt £180 was a bit steep for dropping frets in.

Have you got a link for him?

thanks.

Have said To Mansons that £450 is too much for the state it’s in, if they think £549 is a realistic retail and the repair will be £200 I’ll do £350 otherwise it’s back to Exeter and they can hope UPS are kinder to it on the return leg - especially now it’s more fragile.

Edited by AndyTravis

Well.

3 quotes for fretting a Fretless All run to about £200.

And I have had 3 quotes for sorting the back, one has sent me some similar work completed and looks good. The slightly better thing about this damage is that there’s nothing missing, and it’s not the soundboard, and there’s no binding to compete with.

if I send this back, it’ll end up smashed to bits. 

I’m going to sit with it tonight, and i’ll Decide in the morning. 

It sounds pathetic, but I kind of want to save it.