Why become a member? ×

NBD - Ibanez SR500

Frank Blank

I purchased an Ibanez SR500 today. I recently sold an SRC6 and within a week was really regretting it, so I got another. As much as I enjoy the SRC6 I don’t use it when writing. Mostly I use my Rob Allen Mouse when writing but lately I’ve been missing a bright 4 string fretted electric bass for writing. I recently purchased a Squier Jaguar but for some reason I just didn’t  get on with it but I really dig these SR Ibanez-es-ez’s Anyway here it is...

56B1A329-E661-41A6-ADB5-A83BDC4AD6B8.jpeg

Here it is with the SRC6...

C66BF284-84A9-4FEA-B7FC-ACB3C8A6FDA6.jpeg

Sod it, here’s the team...

D969E0FD-715F-4447-AB34-53798E6A9DCF.jpeg

Edited by Frank Blank
Asbestos slippage
  • Like 4

I used to have an SR500 (and still own an SR1000 prestige), the necks are so comfortable to play on the SR series. They really are superb basses. I only sold my 500 as the Bartolini pickups were too civilised for my uncouth tastes xD

• Like 2

On TalkBass liking the Barts is like being the spawn of Satan or something. I like the sound meself, but that’s because it’s my first go at active pickups.

Can you suggest upgrades for the 500 should I decide they are too polite? Or am I on a slippery slope to eventually getting one of the posh SR’s with Nordstrands?

One of the reasons I let my SR700 go was the civilised nature of the Barts. I've since tried one of the newer SR series with exposed pole pieces, now that was much more to my liking. Not sure what brand pups they are, but sounded good to me. Less civilised perhaps 😈

@songofthewind There's actually nothing wrong with Bartolini pickups. Both of my Ibanez SR's had them although they were different models in each (I don't recall the model number of each and my '1000 is currently inaccessible). The set in my SR1000 have a more inherent mid range grunt than those in the 500, with the EQ on the bass and the amp set flat, in my experience.

However, both basses shared some similar characteristics; they were very clean sounding, there is an even response across the entire range of the bass (on 4 string versions at least, I have no experience of the 5 or 6 sting versions) and both basses sit perfectly and effortlessly in a busy bass mix with a flat EQ, your are not fighting against them to make them work. They really are fantastic pickups in that regard, indeed on paper they are something of a perfect design.

But for me personally, I prefer the grunt, punch and warmth of a good old passive single coil. But that is just my personal preference.

I don't care what the collective opinion is on TalkBass. I've always gone with my own opinions, which more often than not don't follow the crowd anyway xD The Barts are very good, really good, especially if you're after something clean and precise.

Just a word of warning if you are considering changing your own pickups. I tried to change the Barts in my SR1000 a couple of years ago to some Nordstrand Big Singles (I think it was that model?) which are supposedly a direct replacement for Bart' sized pickups. The stock Barts in my 1000 are a custom model and are very slightly different sizes to the regular ones. If I recall correctly mine are a little taller and thinner than the regular size. But it may have been that they were shorter and fatter! Not by much, only a millimetre or so on each side, but it would have meant routing, or at least botching, the pickup cavities to make them fit. And without a scratch plate to cover things up it would have looked messy so I decided against it. So please bear this in mind if you are thinking of changing yours. 

• Like 3

D969E0FD-715F-4447-AB34-53798E6A9DCF.jpeg

Frank - that's a lovely collection. Enjoy the new addition! 

I'm guessing it would be very impolite to post a pic of my three Ibbys, so I'm going to restrain myself!

2 hours ago, Osiris said:

I used to have an SR500 (and still own an SR1000 prestige), the necks are so comfortable to play on the SR series. They really are superb basses. I only sold my 500 as the Bartolini pickups were too civilised for my uncouth tastes xD

...but if you add the wicked growl  of the Nordstrand Big Singles in the SR Premium range, you have something that is definitely not agricultural, polite, civilised or whatever other term of endearment one cares to appropriate from this thread 

2 hours ago, songofthewind said:

On TalkBass liking the Barts is like being the spawn of Satan or something. I like the sound meself, but that’s because it’s my first go at active pickups.

Can you suggest upgrades for the 500 should I decide they are too polite? Or am I on a slippery slope to eventually getting one of the posh SR’s with Nordstrands?

Yup, you're on the slippery slope. There's actually a SR1400 in the FS, but I suggest you avoid looking at that...😄

2 hours ago, Osiris said:

The Barts are very good, really good, especially if you're after something clean and precise.

This is a big part of why I chose this bass, that clean precise sound is exactly what I’m after in some of our music. It’s a combination of the playability of the neck and those pickups.

1 minute ago, Frank Blank said:

Oh go on, you know you want to.

Maybe later - I'll need to arrange them in the manner you've done, which definitely looks better than my sofa shot (and I don't want them to feel too embarrassed 😂)

3 hours ago, songofthewind said:

Yours looks quite shiny in the top pic. Has it been polished or oiled? Mine is only shiny where it is in contact with elbows etc.

It is far more shiny than I thought it would be compared with the SRC6, which is quite matte in comparison but then there appears (in my experience) to be quite a variation in the finish of the SRC6s so it doesn’t surprise me.

Ah the SR500.  I've had mine for nearly 2 years, I rarely play anything else.  It's a joy to play and the EQ allows such a great range of tweakery!

and, as I mentioned in my NBD post a while ago Mrs K likes the fact that it matches our coffee table.  A winner on all fronts!

Enjoy!

• Haha 1

Another SR500 user here. I've had mine for a year and love it. So much so that I have been considering upgrading to one of the more expensive Ibanez models, especially having tried a few of Woodinblack's Ibanez basses at the SW Bass Bash. I particularly like the slim neck and the light weight.

• Like 1

This is great. I do like a bit of confirmation bias. Thanks guys.

Having come back to bass from guitar, I was hoping to escape the GAS death spiral, but NO!

Those Prestige and Premium SR models look very cool but not too boo-teeky.

In general I have given up on high end guitars and basses. Had some nice Gibsons back in the day.

Now I like my bitsa Tele and Jap Strat, and was very happy with my bitsa Jazz until I played the Ibanez.

33 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

This is great. I do like a bit of confirmation bias. Thanks guys.

Having come back to bass from guitar, I was hoping to escape the GAS death spiral, but NO!

Those Prestige and Premium SR models look very cool but not too boo-teeky...I

They are indeed not too "boo-teeky" (whatever that is -  lol!)

Here's my SR Premium / Portamento herd.

The fretless has Barts which seems to very much suit the more civilised nature (to me anyway) of that instrument. The other two have those fantastic big single Nords, which I love. (In fact the only thing stopping me getting a BTB Premium, 35" scale 5er is that they don't come with a Nord pup option).

Ibanez SRs! (Aug 2018).jpg

I  bought my first ever Ibanez (SR 506) a week ago. Never played one before, never played any Ibanez bass before either, but since it arrived, haven't touched any of my Fenders, Gibson, or Alembic basses (well, I picked up the Alembic for about 30 seconds a couple of days ago - neck seemed so narrow after the six string it was was like walking a tightrope!). Perfectly happy with the Bartaloni pick ups on mine, played it's second gig last night (and third tonight).

In terms of quality, I'd say my sub 600 quid Ibby six has better build quality than my Fenders and Gibson, and is not far short of the Alembic, which considering the price difference is astonishing! It really feels like a quality instrument.  Obviously, I now want another one!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I  bought my first ever Ibanez (SR 506) a week ago. Never played one before, never played any Ibanez bass before either, but since it arrived, haven't touched any of my Fenders, Gibson, or Alembic basses...In terms of quality, I'd say my sub 600 quid Ibby six has better build quality than my Fenders and Gibson, and is not far short of the Alembic, which considering the price difference is astonishing! It really feels like a quality instrument.  Obviously, I now want another one!!

Wow!! That is high praise indeed!

In fact the only other bass that, for me, rivals the quality and value for money of Ibanez is actually another Japanese brand, Yamaha, who also make exceptionally good quality basses. But even they don't have the 3 band EQ and individual string pieces found in the SR Premium range, other in their very top of the range basses (e.g. the BBNE2).

Edited by Al Krow

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Wow!! That is high praise indeed!

The Ibby is currently flavour of the month chez Dave! Of course, the six is only a week old, and the Alembic is over 20 years old, so it's not comparing like with like, but they are both very impressive instruments. I need to clear a few four string basses out of the way now so I can get a second sixer. I am very taken with it. I would definitely be looking at the rest of the Ibanez range when that happens, unless a reasonably priced Alembic six crosses my path, of course!