Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fretless!!

Bridgehouse

Just now, josie said:

Have you tried half-rounds? I'm interested / tempted... 

No, but I’m tempted too ;) 

I reckon half rounds would work well on the 51P semi hollow.. I may try some of the fender ones as they are apparently good for the money!

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

No, but I’m tempted too ;) 

I reckon half rounds would work well on the 51P semi hollow.. I may try some of the fender ones as they are apparently good for the money!

I was more tempted playing in my ex-band (indie-pop), where a slide bass fitted well. Current band (blues) has an excellent lead slide guitar player, so I reckon I'll stay round-stringed and punchy, at least on my main squeeze GMR 5, for a while. 

1 minute ago, josie said:

I was more tempted playing in my ex-band (indie-pop), where a slide bass fitted well. Current band (blues) has an excellent lead slide guitar player, so I reckon I'll stay round-stringed and punchy, at least on my main squeeze GMR 5, for a while. 

Do you play pick or fingers on rounds? 

Just now, Bridgehouse said:

Do you play pick or fingers on rounds? 

Pick on everything - long-standing rsi in right elbow, can't play finger-picked. Resin or wood blunt-tipped pick on rounds, sharp-tipped stone on flats. 

3 minutes ago, josie said:

Pick on everything - long-standing rsi in right elbow, can't play finger-picked. Resin or wood blunt-tipped pick on rounds, sharp-tipped stone on flats. 

I’m a fingers man, but I do play pick when it’s needed. I think strings respond differently to each. And Chromes are really good for pick so I can see why you’ve got them on!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I’m a fingers man, but I do play pick when it’s needed. I think strings respond differently to each. And Chromes are really good for pick so I can see why you’ve got them on!

That's part of why I'm thinking half-round rather than round on my main fretted. 

Otoh fretless flat shimmer/slide is good in some projects, but right now I need to get quicker and puncher. I'll never go so far as wanting to play a P 🙂  but I need to get a little bit closer to it. 

6 minutes ago, josie said:

That's part of why I'm thinking half-round rather than round on my main fretted. 

Otoh fretless flat shimmer/slide is good in some projects, but right now I need to get quicker and puncher. I'll never go so far as wanting to play a P 🙂  but I need to get a little bit closer to it. 

Punchier is P basses tho, innit? :)

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

Punchier is P basses tho, innit? :)

Yeah. Not *that* punchy. My son has a top-end MIA Fender P (I even went halves with him on it) and I hate it. The notes just die too quickly. Mind you I'm only just learning that letting an open string ring through two bars while developing the line on the other strings is something most basses won't do 🙂 

Just now, josie said:

Yeah. Not *that* punchy. My son has a top-end MIA Fender P (I even went halves with him on it) and I hate it. The notes just die too quickly. Mind you I'm only just learning that letting an open string ring through two bars while developing the line on the other strings is something most basses won't do 🙂 

A P with a piezo bridge.... honestly.. I have two piezo bridge basses now and the punch plus sustain is crazy...

It's really cool that this bass has a magnetic pickup hidden away in there. I've always liked the exotic appearance of these extended board fretless basses, but the lack of a magnetic pickup in the majority of them rather puts me off. I find piezos to be a novel sound, but I wouldn't want a bass that can only do piezo tones. Furthermore,  a lot of the time I see piezo equipped fretless basses being played like an upright, with the player plucking softly around the 24th position. That's not a great sound to my ears. The magnetic pickup in this Shuker affords great tone and exotic looks. 

@Chris2112 - Interestingly, the piezo in this is immense - as standard it has a really thick and full low & sub bass, with some cracking high bass/low mids and less mids/treble. The boost gives it a sparkle of highs and mids and cuts some of the sub bass so it has a P-bass ish tone. 

The magnetic adds all the mids you might like (it's a Jazz pickup) so it gives it some grind and twang and adds a sparkle to the sound which you can blend in an out of either of the two options above. 

I'd use the piezo on it's own for a lot of band contexts, and the magnetic for adding that special something/variance as and when required. On it's own, the magnetic is a nice choice for something different, but on this bass the Piezo adds so much that I'd hardly ever use the magnetic on it's own

It's a touch noisy as a single coil - its shielded so it's not a lot at all, and actually I'd be reluctant to lose the sparkle in it for the sake of a noiseless magnetic - as the reality is that live the totally silent piezo is more than enough for most circumstances.

• Like 2

This bass looks beautiful, I agree with Andy a work of art. 

Having recently acquired 2 ( don’t ask!) Shukers I couldn’t agree more that they are so good, their build quality, finish and playability. They even make my playing sound Ok! 😂They certainly are fine basses and your uberhorn is fine 😃

• Like 1

Reshielded the pickup compartment last night - must have come loose or something because the SC is now encased in copper tape and it’s about 75% quieter - there’s a faint hum in certain directions in my (usually noisy) man cave.

It’s actually about as noisy as my 64 P 😮

Well pleased. This design means you can actually fully enclose a single coil in shielding and it actually works really well!!!