Why become a member? ×

Filling machine head screw holes in maple ready for redialling (very near).

Dood

I have a guitar headstock here where the tuning key screw holes have been drilled slightly on the skew. The holes in the maple headstock will need solidly filling in such a way that a new hole drilled could encroach on the border between the normal wood and filling.

I am looking for possible solutions -  just save myself the trouble and take it to a tech :)

2 hours ago, dood said:

I have a guitar headstock here where the tuning key screw holes have been drilled slightly on the skew. The holes in the maple headstock will need solidly filling in such a way that a new hole drilled could encroach on the border between the normal wood and filling.

I am looking for possible solutions -  just save myself the trouble and take it to a tech :)

For this sort of thing I often use cocktail sticks. There are hardwood ones and bamboo ones - I've had success with both.

Cut the very end of the tip off so you have a decent diameter into the bottom of the hole and cut it over length for the hole.  Glue with a decent pva, forcing it into the hole with the flat of a screwdriver or similar.

When the glue has dried, trim flush with a scalpel, chisel or razor.  If you have a sharp pointed punch or bradawl or similar, then press a decent starter depression and then use a small drill (1.5mm or similar).  The small ones don't wander as much as the larger drill bits. Then drill out with the larger drill, if you need larger, which will tend to follow the hole you've already drilled in the right place rather than wander off.

Hope that makes sense...

• Thanks 1

I've always found any bradawl too big for making holes for the pathetic, small screws on Fender type tuning heads.

What I found that does it is using a picture pin; like the ones you buy for hanging pictures on walls. They are finer and long for being able to hold it as you gently tap the head.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grangur said:

I've always found any bradawl too big for making holes for the pathetic, small screws on Fender type tuning heads.

What I found that does it is using a picture pin; like the ones you buy for hanging pictures on walls. They are finer and long for being able to hold it as you gently tap the head.

I'm talking about pressing in a depression to locate the tiny drill and stop it wandering.  As you say, bradawls and the like are far too big

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bassman Sam said:

I'm glad I've found this thread. I'm having to do the same with my Fretless Precision bitsa build. Please keep me updated of how things are going Dan.

I've dome this a few times, as has @gary mac I'm sure. It's pretty easy. The main thing is let the glue set before drilling so you have less chance of the screweek going off into the old path, and use a sharp blade to cut the cocktail stick.

• Thanks 1