Why become a member? ×

SOLD! Price drop - BECAUSE IM AN IDIOT. Squier Affinity 5 String Jazz bass (black+rw)
£175

EBS_freak

I sold it!

image.thumb.png.d3c686ed6bdf90247c9a84c431c18027.png

Squier Affinity 5 String Jazz bass aka The Life Saver

OK here's the backstory.

I live in the Midlands, Lichfield to be precise... and I regularly gig with a band based in Loughborough. I agreed to do a gig with them down in Taunton - however, they had van driver availability issues, so I agreed to drive to Loughborough and pick up the van. All the way to Loughborough, something was playing on my mind... you know, that feeling you get that you've forgotten something but can't quite put your finger on it. You mentally check... cables, amp, strap etc... all check.

Get to pick up the van and move my gear from my car into the van. Oh dayum. Where's my bass? Band leader says, no worries, I got a 4 string P bass you can use. I'm all, nah, it's OK, I got time to call back via home and pick up one of my basses.

So I drive home. Dayum. Guess which idiot left his house keys in the car... back in Loughborough.

Time was getting on and there was no way I could make it back to Loughborough, then back to Lichfield, then get to the gig in time... especially as I had all the PA in the van with me. Cue lots of phoning around trying to find somebody local that I can beg, steal, borrow a bass of. In short, couldn't get to anybody in time to pick up a bass and get to the gig...  so drove to PMT, walked into the shop and asked for the cheapest jazz bass they had and take it straight to the till. I think I was in there all of 3 minutes.

Got to the gig ok, a quick setup and the bass is decent to be fair. I would keep it but already have a low priced Yamaha that fulfils the role of a cheaper bass. 

So in short. I'm an idiot.

This bass has been played for approximately 2 hours. I bet there's examples out there with more miles on it due to being on the shop floor. It's in as new condition, complete with the original cardboard box.

My idiocy can be your gain.

Anyway, dropped to £150.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 10

Have a bump..... for the best back story I've ever read on BC :)
I've got a great book on improving ones memory.... if only I could find it.... ;)

GLWTS 

EDIT: I also meant to say - great opening statement in the title too - got my attention immediately

Edited by Marc S
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Man! I would have been in a rage by the time I got to the gig. Every bass line would have sounded like something from Anthrax. 😂

I did arrive as a bit of a stressed out wreck. 😛

Gig was actually pretty decent in the end though! 

• Like 2

This remind me of me ........

i was playing the biggest headlining show (sold out ) at the roundhouse so the night before we had sound check and everything good but I ve decided to change the strings so chucked away the old one to then buy a new set and replace it the day after ! Of course I forgot all about it and the evening of the gig just an hour before we got on I remembered ....s.it no strings ..... 

so I had to borrow a bass from the supporting band 🙈

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I have had similar days.

Should have posted on here though -  I am near there and have many spares!

I have forgotten a few things on a gig, but never the bass, or the spare.

I did contemplate it - but I needed to be sorted until I moved into lands of unknown where I know very few people - or locations of music shops!

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I managed to forget the trousers to an outfit I took to a gig once. Too far from home and no way to shop in the time I had. I have not been allowed to forget it.

oh dear that's just reminded me about a gig I did a couple of years ago.

We played a gig up the north of Scotland and the following week we were doing a wedding a good hour from the house. When I went to get changed I realised that I didn't have my trousers. "that's funny" said the guitarist, "there was a pair of trousers lying in the car park when we left to travel home the morning after last weekend's gig".

The upshot was that I had to play the wedding in a shirt, tie, suit jacket and the jeans that I had worn to work that day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Delberthot said:

We played a gig up the north of Scotland and the following week we were doing a wedding a good hour from the house. When I went to get changed I realised that I didn't have my trousers. "that's funny" said the guitarist, "there was a pair of trousers lying in the car park when we left to travel home the morning after last weekend's gig".

The upshot was that I had to play the wedding in a shirt, tie, suit jacket and the jeans that I had worn to work that day.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, when I was working for TV News, we sent our staff photographer off on an assignment which required him to leave fairly early in the morning, so he got dressed in the dark. When he arrived at No. 10, the P.M. was less co-operative than usual. It was only as he left that he realised that he had accidentally put on his gardening trousers instead of his suit trousers. I don't think Mrs. Thatcher was very impressed!

5 hours ago, Delberthot said:

I was playing a wedding about 5 miles from home, after a good humored set up i went off to the toilet to change. I'd forgotten my shirt, and wearing a Star Wars t-shirt just wasn't gonna cut it for this wedding. Luckily our drummers pal lived next door and brought me her 14 year old sons short sleeved school shirt, it was very tight, but better than my t-shirt.

10 hours ago, Delberthot said:

Dont you hate it when people do that? Do they not think to mention such things?

Oh yeah, I saw a hihat clutch on the floor after our last gig. Thought it was a bit strange. Oh. It could have been yours I guess... couldn't it?

Bandmates. Sometimes the biggest idiots on the planet. Next to the idiot that forgets their bass, that is.

EBS_freak, I think the underlying message here,
...is that you're not alone.
EDIT: I include myself in this category, I would add

Hope the bass sells, or that you grow to like it so much - you decide to sell something more expensive, and keep the Squier :)

Edited by Marc S

1 hour ago, Marc S said:

EBS_freak, I think the underlying message here,
...is that you're not alone.
EDIT: I include myself in this category, I would add

Hope the bass sells, or that you grow to like it so much - you decide to sell something more expensive, and keep the Squier :)

CdtPC2VUIAAMHRi.jpg

I haven't touched it since, it's back in it's shipping box - ready for whoever decides they need a new new Squier in their life.

• 1 month later...