Why become a member? ×

5 STRING the advantage

mitchell

What is the advantage of a 5 string bass. I had a 5 string Yamaha cheaper one. But i had a few days never played it much, and someone offer me money I couldn't resist and sold it. I sort of miss it. When I had it maybe 3 days I thought heck you can play everything on just the B string. The white one is the 5 string Yamaha like I said had it 3 days. i still have the other 2 they are my favorite basses.

19222827_10158926474330341_7058191671018672786_o.jpg

The advantage for me is that I can play my band's set that requires a low A and still have the G string for slapping and tapping if needed.

Technically I could play the gig with a 4 string tuned B(A)EAD, preferably with a 35" 4 string bass like the Spector Euro 435, but that would require some adjustment for certain parts where I use the G string.

1. Gives you a few lower notes which can be particularly handy when playing more modern music, music with Ebs etc, and doubling synth lines.

2. Gives you a bigger range without shifting positions, handy when reading for example.

3. I find fewer dead spots than on 4-string necks.

• Like 3

The extra 5 lower notes aren't often much used, but it's having more options under your hand around the 3rd to 7th fret - you can do much more across the neck, rather than moving up and down the neck on a 4. Useful if playing fast in dim light! and/or  playing a riff across three strings (such as a simple R-V-VII-VIII or R-VIII-VII-V "box" blues line.) 

It does also let you go an octave lower sometimes. We've just added Chain of Fools to our setlist, in Am to suit the singer. The bass riff is a simple pentatonic run up to the root, so starting on C#, and starting on B2 rather than A4 makes a big difference to the overall "punch" of the sound. 

• Like 1

Some great comments above - have pulled a list together (for my benefit as much as anyone else's) and just added a couple of points to those made above:

Summary of pros and cons of a 5 string bass

+1. Gives you a few lower notes which can be particularly handy when playing more modern music, music with Eb, D and C etc, and doubling synth lines. Means that keys players aren't "out bass-ing" the bass players! 

+2. Allows you to play entire songs written in Eb, D and C (not too many songs written in the key of B) a whole octave lower than on a 4 string

+3. Gives you a bigger range without shifting positions (two octaves with barely a movement of the hand), handy when reading for example

+4. Ability to avoid dead spots sometimes present on 4-string necks

+5. Having more options around the 3rd to 7th fret - you can do much more across the neck, rather than moving up and down the neck on a 4. Useful if playing fast in dim light! and/or  playing a riff across three strings (such as a simple R-V-VII-VIII or R-VIII-VII-V "box" blues line.)

+6. You can pretty much do everything you can on a 4 string on 5er and a little more besides. Not quite true the other way around

But

-1. Bulkier, wider neck required to handle 5 string => can be less comfortable to play

-2. Typically heavier weight than the corresponding 4 string of the same make

-3. More an observation rather than a con: 4 string basses have worked just fine for pretty much all of the worlds greatest bassists!

PS You mentioned you had sold your Yammy 5er and were kinda regretting it? Well my experience of Yamaha 5 string basses is they are just great! I'm loving both mine :) 

On 23/08/2018 at 11:01, mitchell said:

What is the advantage of a 5 string bass. I had a 5 string Yamaha cheaper one. But i had a few days never played it much, and someone offer me money I couldn't resist and sold it. I sort of miss it. When I had it maybe 3 days I thought heck you can play everything on just the B string. The white one is the 5 string Yamaha like I said had it 3 days. i still have the other 2 they are my favorite basses.

You had a 5 string bass for "maybe" 3 days and sold it. You only "sort of" miss it. You don't know what the advantages of a 5 string bass are.

If you were a 5 string player you wouldn't need us to explain it to you. I'd say you are better sticking with your 4 string basses.

• Like 1

Another thing I don't think has been mentioned is that you get extra choice of the timbre of the note eg an open E sounds different to a fretted E on the B string.  Of course as soon as the drummer and guitarist start up no-one notices but the distinction is there if you needed it.

On 25/08/2018 at 15:08, Al Krow said:

-1. Bulkier, wider neck required to handle 5 string => can be less comfortable to play

-2. Typically heavier weight than the corresponding 4 string of the same make

-1. True but all my 5 ers, (4 of them), have very slim necks so the overall feel isn't as bulky/chunky as say a P Bass and all are way more comfortable than most 4 strings.

-2. Again not necessarily so. The heaviest of my 5's is 8.25Lbs. The other 3 are all mid 7 Lbs.

• Like 1

Bulkier? My Lakland had a very easy neck to play. So do my Lull and Sadowsky basses. No bulkiness there.

Less comfortable to play? Not if you have a good technique. Most players are not versatile  because of limitations in the way they play. Improve yourself don't blame your tools.

Typically heavier? Again look up the numbers. There are a lot of 8.5 - 9.5 5 string basses out there. Buy these and leave the rest to the Charles Atlas school of bass playing.

36 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

-1. True but all my 5 ers, (4 of them), have very slim necks so the overall feel isn't as bulky/chunky as say a P Bass and all are way more comfortable than most 4 strings.

-2. Again not necessarily so. The heaviest of my 5's is 8.25Lbs. The other 3 are all mid 7 Lbs.

1 minute ago, chris_b said:

Bulkier? My Lakland had a very easy neck to play. So do my Lull and Sadowsky basses. No bulkiness there.

Less comfortable to play? Not if you have a good technique. Most players are not versatile  because of limitations in the way they play. Improve yourself don't blame your tools.

Typically heavier? Again look up the numbers. There are a lot of 8.5 - 9.5 5 string basses out there. Buy these and leave the rest to the Charles Atlas school of bass playing.

I'm specifically referring to 4 and 5 strings of the same make and model, which is relevant e.g. where you've found a 4 string that you already love and are thinking about getting the 5 string version.

e.g. comparing a Yamaha BB1024 vs BB1025

If you can come up with an example where the 5 string version of the same make and model doesn't have a slightly bulkier neck to cater for the low B string or doesn't weigh more than it's 4 string counterpart (because of the bulkier neck), I'd be interested to hear.

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'm specifically referring to 4 and 5 strings of the same make and model, which is relevant e.g. where you've found a 4 string that you already love and are thinking about getting the 5 string version. 

If you can come up with an example where the 5 string version of the same make and model doesn't have a slightly bulkier neck to cater for the low B string or doesn't weigh more than it's 4 string counterpart (because of the bulkier neck), I'd be interested to hear.

Why get a 5 string version of your 4 string? If it's too heavy, definitely don't buy it!

Again, 5 string bass necks will be about 19mm wider. Unless you haven't bought a very good one that doesn't make them bulkier. Also, as I say, if you play them right you will not notice the extra width.

I played 5 string basses exclusively for > 10 years.

Now I mainly play 4 string (with a lof of drop D or C# if tuned to Eb instead of E) in my bands as I find that I do not need the B. On 4 it is just that little bit more comfortable and I actually like the restriction as it makes me a little more creative. However, I still own a 5 string and if I have a dep gig/jam or more electronic/soul/dance dep gig I will always take the 5 as it gives me more flexibility and I do not have to worry about tuning etc.

In certain musical styles (especially if you are "mimicing" keys) I certainly think a B has an advantage, in 80-90% of the time you can make do with a 4. If owning a 5 for those 10-20% of the time situations is worth it (or if you just like to have the 5 so you can play your parts differently) is up to you. 

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Why get a 5 string version of your 4 string? If it's too heavy, definitely don't buy it!

Again, 5 string bass necks will be about 19mm wider. Unless you haven't bought a very good one that doesn't make them bulkier. Also, as I say, if you play them right you will not notice the extra width.

Maybe because you love everything else about your 4 string? (Which is what most of us start on, right?)

The weight and neck bulkiness points are just a couple of additional factors to be aware of when considering moving to a 5 string, that's really the only point being made here.

Edited by Al Krow