Why become a member? ×

80s Pop Synth Sound in a Pedal

tobiewharton

Option 1 - learn keys (or get a keys player) & buy a keyboard synth

Option 2 - check this out, it's a bit spendy (but a fraction of the cost of Option 1 😄). More importantly in terms of bass pedals I'm not sure you're going to get too much closer with anything else on the market today:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use an Arturia Microbrute (dinky analogue synth) for Ain't Nobody. Even if I could get a convincing sound using pedals, it's beyond my abilities to play those octaves cleanly on the bass guitar - they need to be really sharp and staccato. Even agressive noise gating didn't help.

If you're playing an interpretation rather than following the original, you've got more options.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MartinB said:

I use an Arturia Microbrute (dinky analogue synth) for Ain't Nobody. Even if I could get a convincing sound using pedals, it's beyond my abilities to play those octaves cleanly on the bass guitar - they need to be really sharp and staccato. Even agressive noise gating didn't help. 

If you're playing an interpretation rather than following the original, you've got more options.

You're right - those octaves are taxing, but I suppose I've found that my satisfaction in playing covers comes from trying to emulate the nuances of the original.  I try and avoid 'interpreting' unless it's essential, for whatever reason.  Not perhaps the most pragmatic approach to covers material, but it irritates me doing otherwise.

Thanks for the heads up on the Arturia too - I'll check it out.

8 minutes ago, tobiewharton said:

You're right - those octaves are taxing, but I suppose I've found that my satisfaction in playing covers comes from trying to emulate the nuances of the original.  I try and avoid 'interpreting' unless it's essential, for whatever reason.  Not perhaps the most pragmatic approach to covers material, but it irritates me doing otherwise.

Thanks for the heads up on the Arturia too - I'll check it out.

I found an OC2 isn't a bad sound for this track :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tobiewharton said:

You're right - the Panda Audio looks promising, but is a bit spendy(!) and it's unclear from that demo what it can actually do.

So the Panda Future Impact was brought out as the successor to the much loved Akai Deep Impact but with significantly increased processing power. It combines effect processing blocks with synthesizer blocks (oscillators, filters and envelope generators), and can deliver Moog-esque synth sounds with a big low-end.

It has 99 presets compared to the DI's nine (which actually feature as the first 9 presets on the FI as a nod to its predecessor), as well as a desktop PC editor, 128kHz sample rate and MIDI in/out.

It is, for sure, spendy new and s/h ones get snapped up pretty quickly.

Here's something a bit more informative from Zach Rizer. I'll stop blowing this pedal's trumpet now :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The humble Zoom B3 can yield a few surprisingly decent 80s synth sounds if you mess around with it I've found. This is a patch I use for Whitney's I Wanna Dance With Somebody and anything else that sounds DX7-esque...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1topj3b3m42yw3/I Wanna Dance...B3 bass.mp3?dl=0

It's not the greatest for quick-ish runs as the demo shows towards the end, but the tracking is fine for the most part if you watch your technique and keep your lines steady. That patch could probably use a little octave but I'm maxed out at three slots on the B3...time to look at an MS-60B I think!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, roceci said:

The humble Zoom B3 can yield a few surprisingly decent 80s synth sounds if you mess around with it I've found. This is a patch I use for Whitney's I Wanna Dance With Somebody and anything else that sounds DX7-esque...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1topj3b3m42yw3/I Wanna Dance...B3 bass.mp3?dl=0

It's not the greatest for quick-ish runs as the demo shows towards the end, but the tracking is fine for the most part if you watch your technique and keep your lines steady. That patch could probably use a little octave but I'm maxed out at three slots on the B3...time to look at an MS-60B I think!

Cheers for this.  I'm looking for a pedalboard-friendly option for live stuff really, so think I'm going to see how I get on with an OC-2.  I've got a B1on, so will faff about with that a bit at home.

• Like 1

On 23/08/2018 at 13:08, tobiewharton said:

Cheers for this.  I'm looking for a pedalboard-friendly option for live stuff really, so think I'm going to see how I get on with an OC-2.  I've got a B1on, so will faff about with that a bit at home.

As an alternative to the OC-2, I'd definitely recommend also checking out the Valeton OC-10 which is a modern day take on the classic OC-2 pedal and pretty much nails the OC-2 sound. A link to my recent review on this pedal attached:

Edited by Al Krow
This has sadly been discontinued. But flippin' heck(!) the OC-5 is a superb update combining the best of the OC2 and its somewhat disappointing successor, the OC3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

As an alternative to the OC-2, I'd definitely recommend also checking out the Valeton OC-10 which is a modern day take on the classic OC-2 pedal and pretty much nails the OC-2 sound. A link to my recent review on this pedal attached:

This is really helpful.  Thanks Al.

Tobie

4 minutes ago, tobiewharton said:

This is really helpful.  Thanks Al.

Tobie

You're very welcome. A few of us have very recently cottoned-on to this really neat pedal, including myself, @Japhet and @danbowskill who also confirmed what I'd been hearing:

On 11/08/2018 at 18:59, danbowskill said:

I recently got the valenton OC-10 as well.

Amazing little thing for the price, and sooo damn close to my old boss oc2 and feels very well built

Edited by Al Krow

18 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Option 1 - learn keys (or get a keys player) & buy a keyboard synth

This!

18 hours ago, MartinB said:

And this.

As much as the equipment geek in me would love to be able to create these synth sounds on the bass guitar, the reality is that even after 40 years of technology development the typical bass player still needs to refine their technique massively to get the best out of doing it with a bass guitar and pedals.

I'm not much of a keyboard player, but I can get the sounds I need out of an average keyboard synth quicker and play them with more accuracy then I will ever be able to manage on the bass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

This!

And this.

As much as the equipment geek in me would love to be able to create these synth sounds on the bass guitar, the reality is that even after 40 years of technology development the typical bass player still needs to refine their technique massively to get the best out of doing it with a bass guitar and pedals.

I'm not much of a keyboard player, but I can get the sounds I need out of an average keyboard synth quicker and play them with more accuracy then I will ever be able to manage on the bass.

Agreed....BUT it’s more kit to be carting to gigs and for maybe one or two songs? Unless it was a full time well paying multiple gigs per month gig what’s the point (IMO). Fun trying to get close to the sound using bass. Again IMO!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, dodge_bass said:

Agreed....BUT it’s more kit to be carting to gigs and for maybe one or two songs? Unless it was a full time well paying multiple gigs per month gig what’s the point (IMO). Fun trying to get close to the sound using bass. Again IMO!

+100 ^^

I love being a bass player. I didn't sign up to be a keys player...😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

+100 ^^

I love being a bass player. I didn't sign up to be a keys player...😎

Me neither. And for me the fun is in trying to achieve those sounds (or close) using a bass rather than the original synth. Partly for practical reasons (not learning a new instrument / needing MORE gear) and partly for the fun of just messing on with pedals and sounds. Again, personal preference!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Here's something a bit more informative from Zach Rizer. I'll stop blowing this pedal's trumpet now :) 

Oh derrière!

I've managed to avoid most demos for this pedal...

Why did I watch this?!?! 

I used to have a Deep Impact. Whilst I liked it, it was a bit limited. Now I have GAS for a Future Impact.

Cheers buddy! :D

6 minutes ago, bartelby said:

Oh derrière!

I've managed to avoid most demos for this pedal...

Why did I watch this?!?! 

I used to have a Deep Impact. Whilst I liked it, it was a bit limited. Now I have GAS for a Future Impact.

Cheers buddy! :D

There's an entirely good reason why you have GAS for this pedal: there is nothing out there that currently touches it...Soz buddy. I know I'm not helping! 😂

Here's a quote from the chap (a trusted BCer) who tipped me over the edge into getting one:

"It is without doubt the best sounding and most versatile synth pedal out there. Period.  But!!!... and both of these shouldn't be taken lightly... you have to have a very clean playing & muting technique to trigger fast lines and the willingness to learn the editor which can be a bit of a monster at times. If you can handle that... then if I know you at all then I'd say that you will LOVE it."

Well if there's one person I know for sure who will enjoy messing about with a PC editor a LOT more than me, I think it just might be you! And if you love synth sounds...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dodge_bass said:

Me neither. And for me the fun is in trying to achieve those sounds (or close) using a bass rather than the original synth. Partly for practical reasons (not learning a new instrument / needing MORE gear) and partly for the fun of just messing on with pedals and sounds. Again, personal preference!

+1 While i really enjoy watching guys on you tube playing those Gregg Phillinganes/Bernie Worrall/Stevie Wonder lines on Moog Little Phatties etc i really wouldnt want the hassle of bringing keys and possibly extra amplification to a gig! And im really rubbish on the keys. I love getting close to those sounds on the bass with pedals. I treat them like mixing herbs and spices to create sounds of my own 😁

I did borrow my friends Deep Impact and wasnt blown away! Especially considering the price. I dont even know why they are so expensive when the Future Impact can get those sounds and more for a lot less money. Im deffo gassing for the FI though! Id love to try the octavious squeezer as well 😁

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lee650 said:

I did borrow my friends Deep Impact and wasn't blown away! Especially considering the price. I don't even know why they are so expensive when the Future Impact can get those sounds and more for a lot less money. I'm deffo gassing for the FI though! Id love to try the octavious squeezer as well 😁

Just had one of my bands' guitarists round this evening (we were pulling together a shortlist for a dep drummer for our covers band).

Tried out the the FI with him just now to round off the evening and he LOVED it - even got me to try it out with my fretless which it managed to track pretty well. His parting words were: "It's not 100% perfect but what is? But it's 95% and you could definitely replace a bass synth keyboard with that."

If my guitarist has a grin on his face to add to my own, that definitely works for me! :)