Why become a member? ×

SIT Strings in the UK

The59Sound

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Blame my mother.  English teacher. 

Demonstrate, punctuate, abbreviate, elucidate.  I think I knew these four words from the time before I even started walking.

"i" before "e" except after c???...they don't teach that any more..more exceptions that those that adhere to the rule..

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

"i" before "e" except after c???...they don't teach that any more..more exceptions that those that adhere to the rule..

I think because it's not 100% -  just a few but there's more

Science

Ancient

Glacier

40 minutes ago, fleabag said:

I think because it's not 100% -  just a few but there's more

Science

Ancient

Glacier

I heard it quoted, more recently, as 'i' before 'e', except after 'c', when the sound is 'ee'

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2018 at 06:05, thepurpleblob said:

Yeh - while not unreasonable, $15 for delivery to the UK is a deal breaker. Shame...

I agree. Thank you for the interest in our strings. We are working on finding a better means of distribution in the U.K. Thank you for your patience. I will keep everyone here on bass chat posted. 

• Like 1

On 01/10/2018 at 14:23, NancyJohnson said:

Over here, the marketplace is way different to the US; we don't have chains like Guitar Center, Sam Ash (or similar), the UK marketplace is a handful of stores that combine mail-order and regular store fronts (Andertons, Guitar & Keyboard Centre (GAK)).  A load of people would also consider Thomann in Germany for large orders.  The main strings-only business is going to be Strings Direct - they used to be exclusively strings, but have branched out into parts and peripherals.  I guess that any business trying to get product into these stores will probably result in abject failure - issues with minimum stocking requirements, sale or return, driving down of selling-in prices - plus bassists (at least) are fairly fickle; I think we've all gone through a  ton of strings to find the ones that are ideal for us on a personal basis; don't get me wrong; I really like SITs, but it's taken me years to get to the point of playing Elixirs.

The main issue you're going to get is the think globally thing.  It's all well and good saying go to Amazon.com or buy direct from you, but you need to factor in shipping costs and the waiting time for stuff to arrive from the US...these are issues when you need string tomorrow, so you'll just resort to buying whatever there is available.  There's always going to be this nagging doubt of actually whether the strings will make it here as well. 

We have a lot of high profile players on the forum, guys who are gigging constantly, guys who are doing studio projects (that'll be me), guy who have a ton of experience and some influence.  I'd say a good deal of these guys haven't actually heard of SIT and are using the big brands (D'Addario, Rotosounds, Elites, Ernie Ball etc.).  Maybe consider trying to win these guys over.  Send some over and get a British opinion.  Start the ball rolling.

Hello Nancy ,

Thank you so much for the thoughtful response. As a growing small company there is always room for improvement. We definitely need to find a different distributor in the U.K and it has been a challenge for us. I completely understand where your coming from with shipping costs and needing strings urgently.  Your right, we do need to win over the players using the big brands and I'm working on having a better presence on blogs and forums. We are always open to sending out samples to test as well. Your feedback is really appreciated.  -Mike Vincent

On 16/10/2018 at 13:08, AndyTravis said:

I had some SIT’s in a trial and they were fantastic but I couldn’t get them quickly enough for my next restring and reverted to d’addario...

A shame really 

I agree. Thank you for the interest in our strings. We are working on finding a better means of distribution in the U.K. What type of strings did you get in that trial and how did you acquire them? Thank you for your patience. I will keep everyone here on bass chat posted. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mike Vincent said:

I agree. Thank you for the interest in our strings. We are working on finding a better means of distribution in the U.K. What type of strings did you get in that trial and how did you acquire them? Thank you for your patience. I will keep everyone here on bass chat posted. 

Can’t recall now - they were a new formulation of the RB strings (think this was about 3 or 4 years ago) and someone contacted me through here about trying some.

4 hours ago, Mike Vincent said:

I used a 12-string bass set and had a couple of sets of others.  eBay.