Why become a member? ×

It's plec not pick

Les

On 21/08/2018 at 19:27, FinnDave said:

I play with a pick. Plectrum sounds like some snobby Latin word that oiks like me aren't supposed to understand.  And if there's some thing that disturbs my normally placid outlook on life, it is people who insist on using latin plurals. They are obviously unaware that once a loan word has been assimilated into a language, it takes the grammatical forms of the host language. 

Have you any datums to support that assertion?

Coitum volantum non dono.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mikel said:

Yep. Plectrum for the 50+ years I have been playing guitar and bass. Pick is yet another Americanism being absorbed into the musicians vocabulary, like "Kick" instead of bass drum. I have never kicked a bass drum, not intentionally anyway. And why do they call a drum stool a "Throne"? Those crazy Yanks.

:) It's interesting how peoples' experiences differ. I've used the term 'pick' since I started playing guitar in 1974 and I first heard a British* drummer refer to his 'throne' in 1981 though most of them seem to refer to it as a 'stool'.

I've only really noticed the 'kick drum' (or just 'kick') thing in the last ten years or so; kick is useful as a substitute which helps more easily to differentiate between 'the bass' and 'the bass drum'.

IMO, 'snare and kick' has a more pleasing, snappy verbal rhythm to it than 'snare and bass drum'. Other opinions are available :)

* The drummer in question came from Crouch End so that's technically Britain

Edited by skankdelvar

4 hours ago, Grassie said:

You say plectrum, I say pick, let's call the whole thing off. Or something...

My old Scottish mother used to say "Son, is this yer plooktur?" I think I know what she meant! 😂

Edited by itsmedunc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, songofthewind said:

..and my old Scottish mother used to call the neck of my guitar the “handle”.

My old dad used to call anything with strings 'a banjo' (unless it was 'a Johanna') and anything that one blew into was 'a trumpet'.

I told him it was called 'an harmonica' but he wouldn't listen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

:) It's interesting how peoples' experiences differ. I've used the term 'pick' since I started playing guitar in 1974 and I first heard a British* drummer refer to his 'throne' in 1981 though most of them seem to refer to it as a 'stool'.

I've only really noticed the 'kick drum' (or just 'kick') thing in the last ten years or so; kick is useful as a substitute which helps more easily to differentiate between 'the bass' and 'the bass drum'.

IMO, 'snare and kick' has a more pleasing, snappy verbal rhythm to it than 'snare and bass drum'. Other opinions are available :)

* The drummer in question came from Crouch End so that's technically Britain

Then why not call the bass a "Spleen" or any other random word if bass and bass drum is too difficult to understand?  Its no more obscure than calling a bass drum a kick. The drummer in 1981 was probably being ironic. On another note, you have an amazing memory for dates re the drummer. :D

Back in the 18th century when he and I were first getting to grips with our relative instruments, a guitarist mate of mine initially referred to them as 'plectrons'. Which I think is a far better name than either pick or plectrum. It has a sci-fi/nerd quality which appeals to my inner geek. :lol: 

5 hours ago, mikel said:

On another note, you have an amazing memory for dates re the drummer. :D

Not really as this occurred at a sort of turning point in my life and everything remains much more vivid than stuff which happened later.

July 1981 was when I moved to London and got my first full-time job. Iain worked at the next desk along from mine and about a week after I started work we were in a rehearsal studio in Leytonstone. As he was setting up his black Rogers kit he mentioned his 'throne'. I thought it a little odd and it stuck in my mind. But I didn't call him out on it or complain that it was inappropriate, this because calling a drum stool 'a throne' wasn't important to me.

Edited by skankdelvar