Why become a member? ×

Ashdown RM500 EVO II thoughts please

police squad

The only slight drawback, and I mean slight because as far as I know most amps do this, is that to get the full oomph you need two cabs connected. I've somehow got a 500w 15" Rootmaster cab which is likely to have been from the 500w combo unit or a special order, but I can't run with just that cab to get the full oomph from the amp. From time to time it would be useful to flick a switch and give the full beans in to one suitable cab rather than having to run two. Again, as far as I know most heads are set up like this and if it were as simple as flicking a switch then I'm sure that would be the norm...

3 minutes ago, stevie said:

Thanks for the speedy response. I think that's a very good move.

Now that I have your attention, Mr Ashdown ..... Would it be possible to buy and retrofit the aluminium chassis?

I'm afraid not, layout has changed slightly inside as well so EVO internals won't fit into the new chassis sadly

38 minutes ago, Ashdown Engineering said:

FYI - For the most part the weight reduction is down to changing the entire chassis from Steel to Aluminium...

Awesome, that makes a lot of sense! Did the original 500s have the metal screening inside like the original 800s? I remember reading somewhere that it wasn’t actually necessary but you did it to “over engineer” the EMC essentially, same for the fan and cooling..?

18 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

The only slight drawback, and I mean slight because as far as I know most amps do this, is that to get the full oomph you need two cabs connected. I've somehow got a 500w 15" Rootmaster cab which is likely to have been from the 500w combo unit or a special order, but I can't run with just that cab to get the full oomph from the amp. From time to time it would be useful to flick a switch and give the full beans in to one suitable cab rather than having to run two. Again, as far as I know most heads are set up like this and if it were as simple as flicking a switch then I'm sure that would be the norm...

It’s been covered many times before, the difference between the output and 8 and 4 ohms is so negligible as to be moot, it is the extra speaker area which is making it produce more volume :)

15 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

The picture makes the escutcheon look glossy. I mistakenly thought that you misread the subject of the thread. 

My fault for being arty farty with the black and white picture haha!

I prefer the old chrome front panel, the new one looks cheaper (to me).

On 21/08/2018 at 15:56, Lozz196 said:

Yes, I think SVT type tones can be pretty easily obtained from it, pre-shape on, drive up, add in upper mids for some bite.

Tried this at last night's gig, I've never used the pre-shape before in my many years of Ashdown use, but it certainly worked. Ibanez SR506, ABM 600 evo iv and Barefaced Super Compact and the result was a rich warm sound that sounded great on stage and out front, apparently.

Good tip!

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Nice one, glad it worked out Dave.

Yeah, for some reason your post floated into my head while I was setting up last night and so I tried it, and didn't touch the amp again until I switched off at the end of the gig. Lot of compliments on the bass sound from band and audience.

Yep that woolly-ness that people associate with Ashdown is way off the mark imo. Sure they can make that sound, but it`s not all they do, I find them to be very flexible. I get my eq from my Sansamp Para Driver as I use a lot of shared gear etc, but I can get very near/virtually there on my Para Driver sound from both my RM500 and my ABM600. Much more versatile amps than many give them credit for. And a lot more cost effective than a lot of other brands too.

On 04/09/2018 at 15:32, Merton said:

It’s been covered many times before, the difference between the output and 8 and 4 ohms is so negligible as to be moot, it is the extra speaker area which is making it produce more volume :)

The output increase from  the amp is 3dB and form the extra speaker between 3-6dB  but this is only in the low register (depending on how they are located and who you listen to) so your mids and highs will be 3 dB louder and your lows 6-9dB louder. The other factor to take into account is that if you play very loud, the single cab my be approaching power compression so the difference may seem even more. Two cabs my not be suffering from power compression nearly as much.

• 3 years later...
19 minutes ago, Oweneatonmusic said:

Hey you guys,

I own an Ashdown RM 500 evo 2. I've ran into an issue where the amp is making a whistling noise. It's not the fan, I am sure it's within the circuit. Has anyone else had this issue? 

Yes mine did that but only when ironically I pushed the mute button. I took it to Ashdown and they sorted it. I’ve no idea what it was as it was a couple of years ago and techie stuff is a bit beyond me.