Why become a member? ×

It’s squier not squire.......

vinorange

Really - I thought it was because of this vintage vehicle, which coincidentally was in production when the current 'industry standard' (in some people's eyes) bass guitar (provided it has tort whether used as a bass guitar, toaster, car jack etc etc) was introduced.....looks a bit out of date to me......ladies and gentlemen - the Ford Squire 🤔

image.jpeg.8d4808a631f50bce3930ad35ee9abc91.jpegimage.jpeg.a750dd46f5a7ca09574c5243a17005ae.jpeg

Edited by drTStingray

Other alternative stories Ive heard are:-

1) An analogue (and thus more organic sounding) version of auto spell auto corrected it incorrectly to a mis spelling.

2) Rather like some people who have very straightforward sounding Christian names but with very odd spellings, some of which may be explained by simple mis spelling by the parents or officials at the registry office in the heat of the moment and thus preserved for eternity, it could simply have been a gross error (mis spelling) by Fender - OMG now there's a thing 😂😂

NB many of the mis spellings on EBay may be caused by inaccurate autocorrect also. I used to have a phone that changed the word ham to IBM automatically - my current one changes Pantiles Tunbridge Wells, a pleasant tourist destination, to panties.....etc etc - and this forum doesn't like the phrase c ock up - changing it to pink torpedo up..... )😯

Edited by drTStingray

Squier's an actual, proper name, from the Olden Days & everything:

https://www.houseofnames.com/squier-family-crest

The Squier brand originated in 1890 - string manufacturer V C Squier, which was acquired by Fender in 1965.

Obviously what's happened is that The Internet has realised that a gross spelling mistake has been being perpetuated for several centuries, and using the power of popular usage of the correct spelling, predominantly through its Ebay instrument, is righting that wrong. This is, of course how all language evolves.

In the future it'll be perfectly normal and acceptable to have a Squire base gitar with a frettles kneck and bone knut, fitted with upgraded turners. You'll need a chord to plug it in, too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, Bassassin said:

In the future it'll be perfectly normal and acceptable to have a Squire base gitar with a frettles kneck and bone knut, fitted with upgraded turners. You'll need a chord to plug it in, too.

Don't you mean upgraded tunas?

11 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Squier's an actual, proper name, from the Olden Days & everything:

https://www.houseofnames.com/squier-family-crest

The Squier brand originated in 1890 - string manufacturer V C Squier, which was acquired by Fender in 1965.

Obviously what's happened is that The Internet has realised that a gross spelling mistake has been being perpetuated for several centuries, and using the power of popular usage of the correct spelling, predominantly through its Ebay instrument, is righting that wrong. This is, of course how all language evolves.

Blimey - thanks for that. You live and learn - I'd always thought Fender had made it up and wanted to either avoid being sued by the Ford Motor Company, or more likely, had mis-spelt it!! Encouraging the mis-spelling fault lies firmly at the doors of Microsoft (allegedly) and Apple (allegedly) after all 😬

Edited by drTStingray

5 hours ago, mic mac moe said:

I hope its not just me, but I hate getting all excited when you see a Fender precision advertised for around £150 and it turns out to be squier by fender. If its a squier, sell it as such!! 

Yep, especially a "Squire" with a "cheeky" logo.

I'd like to have a block seller option on ebay.

18 hours ago, mic mac moe said:

Agreed, mate. Might be easier to just block myself off ebay, I'm on it that much 😂!! 

Should be a support group for eBayaholics  :lol: