Why become a member? ×

Songs with and without bass The importance of bass guitar in metal music (and in general music)S

Jaime Tortosa

We all know bass. It's an instrument that is in every kind of actual and older music. Bass guitar is sometimes underrated as an instument. Many people say that they can't recognise it, or that they don't feel it. Maybe it is not always easy to identify bass guitar in some songs (like some metal songs), but it is almost 100% evident when it is not present. In this video, I'm going to try to demonstrate with a few examples that you can feel the bass guitar in metal music. You will clearly notice the difference between having and not having bass guitar. I've put the volume of my bass guitar a bit higher than it actually is on the original mixes, so you can apreciate better what I'm explaining. Also, I'll explain you the function of the bass in every example. The importance of bass guitar can be explained by its presence in the mix and by its function in songs. The video demonstrates both: you can feel its presence or its lack, and it has multiple functions. Bass guitar can be used to create the harmonies of a song, and as a rythmic instrument. You can also write beatiful melodies and solos. It's the link between the drums and other intruments like guitar, piano, ... All in all, it's a crutial instrument, that can keep the rythm, and make beautiful harmonies and melodies. I will continue uploading this kind of videos, so keep in tune. Please SHARE the video, it helps a lot.

Edited by Jaime Tortosa