Why become a member? ×

Markbass CMD121P - FRFR EQ help

Ghost_Bass

Hello everybody.

I'm in need of a few pointers from BC'ers regarding this combo. I'll be playing in a venue in the end of this month where i'll be using this as the house backline. I'll be going through the PA so i only need advice for stage monitoring. I'm looking to get a EQ as close to FRFR as possible. I've never owned markbass but i've tried a few and they're voiced a fair bit. Add the VLF and VLE controls to that and i'm looking to spend a bit of much needed time for other things on getting it to sound flat.

What would you good people, who know your way around this combo, advice as a starting EQ point to get me in the ballpark of a flat response? Thanks

It`s the cabs that are voiced - they have quite a big top-end roll-off, so for on-stage use to be as near as possible boost the highs - even add in an eq pedal maybe, as Markbass highs on that amp are very high, and adding in lower highs (if that makes sense) may yield better results.

• Like 1

I think i undestand what you're saying. Is there a parametric EQ to boost those "lower highs"?

What about the VLE and VLF? They're my main concern, what do each do? I think one is a mid scoop but don't know what the other does.

I'll download the manual and have a read but any input from people who ownes or had owned one is very apreciated.

Cheers

VLE= Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator which cuts the high frequencies more as you turn it up. The VPF may give you a slightly smoother mid presentation whilst boosting the lows and highs. A little of this might help if the mids are too present. With everything at noon and filters off the amp will be pretty flat but as Lozz said the speaker is designed to assist bass to cut through the mix. An outboard graphic eq might help.

• Like 1

markbass-mini-cmd-121p-168003.jpg

No Parametric EQ here so i will have to find some time to EQ it to my taste. Maybe use the filters to attend to the voicing, lik eyou're saying. A bit of VPF to tame the mid bump and a compromise of VLE/High/Mid High to try to get rid of the hiss and bring in those missing useable highs? I don't want to take more gear than i need to, i would prefer to take my shuttle 9.2 with the 10" cab from my Promethean combo but i'm trying to make things easier as possible and avoid lugging unecessary gear.

I loved my LMiii, but i always found the eq and vle and vlf a confusing combination. I always thought theyd be better with either a 5 band eq or just the vle or vlf.

However, scratching my head to remember, isnt there a daft set up with the markbass regarding on, off, and flat?

I dont think 12 noon is flat on some mb amps? Cant quite remember, but worth a check.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, la bam said:

I loved my LMiii, but i always found the eq and vle and vlf a confusing combination. I always thought theyd be better with either a 5 band eq or just the vle or vlf.

However, scratching my head to remember, isnt there a daft set up with the markbass regarding on, off, and flat?

I dont think 12 noon is flat on some mb amps? Cant quite remember, but worth a check.

Noon for the EQ controls on all the Markbass heads I'm aware of is nominally flat. The VLE and VPF filters should be fully counter clockwise for nominally flat. 

You may be thinking of amps that have passive tone stacks where the noon position for bass, middle and high gives a mid scoop.

• Like 1

The room is fine and will be filled with people. There's a house sound tech to control the PA and he will get a DI PRE-EQ mix. My sound for the band is the sound of my TRB, unchanged, only louder and maybe a bit of high-pass filtering in the muddy end. I'm using Genz Benz amp and Barefaced cab to get this FRFR result and sounds great on stage. This is the reason why i'm looking to get a flat'ish Eq on the amp as all my diferent tones will come from the bass (and a bit of fingers). 
The bit that worries me about the MB are those honky/boxy mids i've heard on other MB gear i've tried in the past.