Why become a member? ×

Tower of Power tiny desk concert

Cato

4 hours ago, Acebassmusic said:

Excellent T.O.P. :D

I think they should re-name the "Tiny Desk Concert" to "Normal Pub Gig Sized Area Where You're All Crammed In Concert" :biggrin:

Ye but they are not right in front of the toilets !

4 minutes ago, MWH said:

Excellent  !,   I paid strong money to see these guys and Little Feet  live in the seventy's. My dad used to play tenor sax but not like this, lol.

I remember those gigs, Warner Bros brought a load of bands across and put them on across the country: I saw Little Feet with the Doobies and Montrose but was disappointed that TOP were not on the bill. Think I saw them at Manchester Free Trades Hall.

As for Tiny Desk, shame we can't see the Bassist's fingers... but love the fact most of these guys are probably all 10 years older than me and still doing it.

Edited by yorks5stringer

13 hours ago, pineweasel said:

Great show. However, I didn't realise they had "retired" Rocco

I don't think he is "retired" as such. He has health issues and has a rest now and again. Saw them at Manchester Academy last October and Rocco was playing then. Had a chat with him and he seemed OK. absolutely awesome band.

46 minutes ago, el-gnomo said:

The new guy does a pretty good job, but he still has "dep panic face" 🙂 mind you, who wouldn't on this gig.

Marc has spent a lifetime gigging at the highest levels. He has worked with TOP before and is regularly touring with them during Rocco Pretsia's numerous health issues.. I doubt there is any "dep panic" there.

1 hour ago, BassBunny said:

I don't think he is "retired" as such. He has health issues and has a rest now and again. Saw them at Manchester Academy last October and Rocco was playing then. Had a chat with him and he seemed OK. absolutely awesome band.

According to this article TOP have replaced him (for touring at least) due to repeated health problems: https://www.bassplayer.com/artists/rocco

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

I shook FRP's hand maybe 5 years ago and was surprised how frail ( not just his hand) he seemed.

He had Hep C and had a liver transplant in 2001 and he's also waiting for or just had a kidney transplant. He's not a healthy guy atm.

20 hours ago, pineweasel said:

According to this article TOP have replaced him (for touring at least) due to repeated health problems: https://www.bassplayer.com/artists/rocco

Ah, I didn't clock that article and it's sad they have had to retire him. He was with them a couple of months ago on Later with Jools and the deed must have been done just after that.

On 20/08/2018 at 15:42, yorks5stringer said:

I remember those gigs, Warner Bros brought a load of bands across and put them on across the country: I saw Little Feet with the Doobies and Montrose but was disappointed that TOP were not on the bill. Think I saw them at Manchester Free Trades Hall.

As for Tiny Desk, shame we can't see the Bassist's fingers... but love the fact most of these guys are probably all 10 years older than me and still doing it.

What's happening with my main man Francis Rocco Prestia?

Blue

On 21/08/2018 at 11:33, el-gnomo said:

The new guy does a pretty good job, but he still has "dep panic face" 🙂 mind you, who wouldn't on this gig.

Yes, it can't be denied he has a look of extreme concentration on his face. Maybe this will explain for those that don't know:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/tower-of-power-member-returns-to-yoshis-following-horrific-train-accident