Why become a member? ×

Greetings from Essex UK

Planemo

Howdy!

I have been browsing the site for some time now and have gone back 90 odd pages on the general discussion forum. Some great info, and still many more pages to go!

Thought I would sign up and introduce myself before posting. I used to make electronic music many years ago in my twenties, Cubase/samplers/synths etc but always wanted to play a 'proper' instrument. I have always leant towards backing/percussion and my timing has always been good so naturally fell into liking basses. Didnt do much in my 30's due to kids arriving but I was bought a cheap Encore B4 package by my wife around 10 years ago. I loved picking it up and having a fiddle but never actually learnt to do much and it only ever came out every few weeks or so and ended up in the loft (horrors). Fast foward to now, at 46 years young and I got the bug again, helped by my daughter really quite getting into piano and being able to read music quite well. Out came the bass and I am now determined to actually learn something, if only to be able to play along with my daughter. I have been following Scotts Bass videos and am enjoying learning scales and note placements on the fretboard. Still a long way to go and I know this will take time. I also got an app for my phone 'Bass guitar note trainer' which I am finding really helps. I like fiddling with things too so wanted to make the bass a bit more personal to me - it had a black body but I wasnt keen on the white finger plate or chrome fittings. I had some 3M carbon film lying around so the fingerplate got the treatment and I swopped out the machine heads, bridge, all screws, pot knobs, jack fitting and string tree for black versions, as well as a new set of strings for good measure. It now looks how I envisioned and hopefully will give me a little extra incentive! Also sounds a lot more punchy! I will try to upload a pic sometime. Despite the work on the B4, after much deliberation I have also just ordered a new Spirit XT2 as I have always liked them, and having 2 basses is no bad thing right?! To be honest the size could be a real bonus for me- the Mrs was never keen having the B4 in the living room and the only other option is the summer house which can be a bit nippy in winter! I reckon I can keep the XT2 in the house quite easily, which I think is a must to keep things going. Wouldnt mind a carbon strap extender though, and will be posting in a thread where one of your excellent members had mentioned he made one.

Anyhow, enough about me, thanks for allowing me to join up and gain some knowledge from you guys. Cheers, Nathan.

Cheers all for the welcome, seems like a great community! I know what you mean about numbers 'The Greek', my bro has been into electric guitars for years...he was going to stop buying them when he reached 5, then he got the bug for Flying V's, and ended up with 3 of them as well...! Now he's into building his own valve amps...never ends!

Ah yes I know all of those areas well!  Policed them for 11 years. I have only ever lived the other side of the A127 though, in Billericay. I like the place, but if it were down to me I would live in the sticks like my Bro in Suffolk. We are so local to the train and schools though that I cant see me going anywhere just yet.

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

Ah yes I know all of those areas well!  Policed them for 11 years. I have only ever lived the other side of the A127 though, in Billericay. I like the place, but if it were down to me I would live in the sticks like my Bro in Suffolk. We are so local to the train and schools though that I cant see me going anywhere just yet.

Welcome to my world. Living in Hornchurch, kids all grown up now and (just) gone; day job work for a couple of years yet....but not forever!!

Yes Hiram, not far at all from you. I dont get what the problem is re the bass in the house, personally I find all instruments a thing of beauty and similar, in way, to someone hanging a painting. Oh well, at least with the XT I will be able to find somewhere to put it in the house, if not on show. The Encore is just too big to slot anywhere.

Speaking of DV247, I was quite keen to go there (Romford), have a good look around and buy the XT at the same time but it was cheaper to order online from DV247 (which I cant understand!). £296 Vs £349, so no small difference either.

On 21/08/2018 at 22:03, fleabag said:

Hi Nathan

Another Essex boy here. Been many moons since i lived there though.

95% of my family are still there.... around Basildon, Laindon,  Purfleet, Chadwell St Mary, Feering

Not forgetting that as an ex 'lady friend' pointed out to me,  'Laindon' is NOT Basildon!:D

And Hi Nathan, I'm not a million miles away from you;)

Cheeky Frank, Laindon is indeed in the Basildon borough!

Just thought I would pop up a pic of my modded Encore with black hardware and vinyl pickguard. Only problem is now the headstock sticks out...needs to be black as well, may try the carbon vinyl again but the right corners and edges will be tricky...

2018-08-26 14.13.35.jpg

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

Another Essex boy here, hailing from South Benfleet. 

I know a couple of Basildonians are in denial and refer to their location as East Laindon or West Benfleet just to avoid the stigma. 

I would. :) 

Heh, which is exactly what I was alluding to.

• 2 weeks later...

Frank,  do you happen to know the 2 pubs in S.O.S called the top and bottom Alex ?

I lived in Westcliff when i was in my late teens, one of the regular drinking holes  was the top alex in S.O.S,  also known for various other substances

20 hours ago, fleabag said:

Frank,  do you happen to know the 2 pubs in S.O.S called the top and bottom Alex ?

I lived in Westcliff when i was in my late teens, one of the regular drinking holes  was the top alex in S.O.S,  also known for various other substances

I do! The bottom Alex is now a bank, the crew that used to inhabit the top Alex are probably more likely to be found in The Railway these days. I’m not a native Southender only having been here for ten years but everyone here gets a bit misty eyed about the top Alex. Where in Westcliff were you?