Why become a member? ×

What Musicman should I get?

mash13229

8 hours ago, mash13229 said:

I'm really looking to get a Musicman Bass, budget no more than 2,000, I know there are really good ones out there, and would like your input as to which ones I should go for... It's pretty vague but I'm completely lost since there are plenty of them.

Thank you

but what kind are you after? Stingray, Sterling, Bongo, Caprice... single humbucker? two? humbucker and single?

For what type I really don't know the differences, I play mostly funk and rock. I'm used to the Jazz bass so I want to try something new. I don't have time right now to go out and try them so I want to try to narrow it down so that when I have time I can go and try exactly what is recommended. Also 4 string please

For ‘that’ MusicMan sound in funk and rock you can’t go wrong with a standard 3 band EQ StingRay. For more options go for the double pickup version. 

The 2 band EQ, Classic and Old Smoothie are all very nice too of course, and honestly I just love them all. The 3 band is nice and versatile and has a good amount of zing if you need it. 

But you may as well wait for the new Special to come out in the next few months, it’ll replace the 2&3 band EQ standards and is a more updated version..doesn’t mean it’ll be better though ;) 

Edited by Chiliwailer

The Sterling has a narrow, Jazz-like neck. The StingRay can also have a neck like that, these are called "StingRay SloSpecial" (these are rare, as they were made by special order only). Normal StingRays have a wider P-bass like neck.

The Sterling has a small-ish body, much smaller than a Jazz bass. Hence these tend to be lighter than the average StingRay which can be on the heavy side.

If you want "that MM sound" go StingRay. For "that MM sound on steroids" go Sterling.

Do not confuse the Sterling with the more affordable Asian made Sterling by MusicMan range of basses and guitars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So in my personal case of MM GAS ... we can narrow it down to Stingray 5 (or possibly a Sterling). 

Kind of like the idea of two pickups, but already own one $$ bass, a $J and a JJ so don't really need anything beyond the classic stingray single $.

But even then, we have 2EQ,  3EQ, different necks and don't some have a piezo pickup under the bridge too? Ash and Alder bodies as well.

The ideal would be to go to a shop that had lots and try them all out .. but no-where has more than a handful.

.... and as a "do I like it or not" exercise, would buying a cheapo "Sterling by Stingray" give any indication of what the real thing would be like?

If I was starting again and never had a Stingray then I would simply buy a 4H 2 or 3 eq Stingray. If money was no object then I would get a classic or old smoothie but If it was then just a simple 4H 2 or 3 eq Stingray. You cant go wrong with either.

• Like 1

If you really want to spend a load of money, I would probably aim for a Stingray Classic or an Old Smoothie.

If you fancy making your budget go a little further, I would keep an eye out for a regular 2 or 3 band Stingray secondhand (I love the three band but a lot of folks like the 2). I have seen them as low as £700 on  here, Facebook and Gumtree and I would put the rest of your budget to good use somewhere else or on another Bass.

2 minutes ago, LITTLEWING said:

None. Who's the last one you saw anywhere with one? Get an active Jazz. Can't go wrong.

I had a passive 'Ray and it simply didn't fit sonically anywhere in our varied 50 odd covers sets except maybe two funk numbers.

If it was passive surely it wasn't a Ray?

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, LITTLEWING said:

None. Who's the last one you saw anywhere with one? Get an active Jazz. Can't go wrong.

I had a passive 'Ray and it simply didn't fit sonically anywhere in our varied 50 odd covers sets except maybe two funk numbers.

Wierd because Stingrays been used successfully in probably every genre of music and are  extremely versatile in skilled hands - there is a vast range of skills out there but it is usually up to the skill of the player to fit their sound in - there is an adage - a bad workman always blames his ........ in this case how would a Stingray be passive unless modified or a very very rare example of one with switchable passive/active?? 

But of course the OP and others asked which Musicman (and contrary to popular myth they have and do make a range of basses).

The most versatile IMHO would be an HH version of a Stingray 4 or 5. You could get a used one for just over 50% of your budget. Or you could go a little higher on your budget and buy one of the new Stingray Specials. Other factors you will get will be excellent build quality and unlike at least one other make of active two pick up bass, no undue hiss and hum from the electronics (dependent on the era) - along with a whole range of usable tones which will fit in most music settings. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The Gilded White edition Stingray was passive, but that was really an active bass that was switchable to passive.

Indeed, along with a small number based on standard Rays sold by guitar centre concurrently. 

But then if it was switchable why use it in passive mode if you thought it was not working mix-wise? Curious! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LITTLEWING said:

Passive Rays aren’t exactly representative of the breed.....

Can’t recall ever seeing one outside of the cheapest US Sub model.

I’ve sometimes found that the on stage sound wasn’t the best but go front of house and the sound is great....

Edited by martthebass

I’ve just done a provisional trade for a pearl blue 2eq on some recording gear...I won’t be keeping it...I love the stingray sound but never keep them long. Not even trying with this one.

If I was gigging - I’d keep hold as it’s a nice modern (about 2015) one, and I prefer 2eq rays.

If I wanted one, I’d find my old 1994 trans blue burst which was an epic version.

I’ve owned about 6, only really miss the classic and the 94. But the 94 was perfect.

Edited by AndyTravis

I imagine I might have changed my mind if I had an active 'Ray and got an incredible sound but I'm just saying take a look at how many people USED to play one and moved on to other fine marques. Apart from the one or two mentioned, I haven't seen one being played on telly or live for ages. There must be a reason. Flea only used one because he once got them for free and The Chillies wouldn't be the same without that growl. Bernard Edwards started with one but moved on, John Deacon had one but moved on. Gail Ann Dorsey made Bowie's band sound phenomenal but then slipped into a Jazz. 

They really are great basses and sound brilliant but dare I say they somehow get a tad boring. Bit like a Telecaster guitar. Great, but they only do the one thing.

Just sayin'.

Just goes to show there’s as many opinions as people. If the OP had wanted a Jazz or a P then the thread would’ve been ‘which J or P should I get?’

Not many BCers have a single bass and I don’t believe in the ‘Swiss army knife bass’. So one gig might be a Jazz, the next a Status, and yet another a Ray 4H 3eq..

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 1