Why become a member? ×

Tarting up my cab (or, What happens when it’s raining and I’m stuck in the house)

Pea Turgh

Ola peeps.

I was initially attracted to Basschat by the excellent  build threads for cabs. I was planning to jump in with a build, but then decided to go Barefaced instead. Ended up with two One10’s and they were great. Then I caught a nasty case of skintitis and had to sell them. Fow shizz buying a Two10 next year when funds allow, but for now, I have an excellent old Peavey cab loaded with Beyma ‘s, assembled by our own @fleabag.

Today the sky, he cry. I got restless and was looking for something to mess with. I started tugging at the carpet covering on my cab after rehearsal and now i’m committing by posting this!

I’m going to sand it down and if it looks half decent, I’ll put a dark stain on so it looks a little like my Peterson combo. If the wood ain’t that sharp, I’ll get some of that Tuff Cab in anything other than black.

2BC8A6D1-B3E8-4FF5-AB4F-C77A8FD162B8.jpeg

98F875CC-AC6B-4C4D-B28B-4A09B8191205.jpeg

D29B45B0-2B31-4023-AE30-677FED6D7FA4.jpeg

• Like 2

A friend of mine does the same to his Marshall cabs. The ply they used in the 70s and 80s was nicely grained, finished in a satin finish they look more like a piece of furniture than musical equipment.

Peterson have the right idea. 

360_ddb658d40d7d50a7cfdfc2b4a8c52f80.jpg peterson-bass-ace-100w-amplifier_360_2c0cb5922fb08b87ee19510636433873.jpg

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Got almost an entire hour to myself today!  This sanding business is a hard slog!  Ruined the 40 grit paper, now moved on to the 80 (or was it 80 to 120?) but only have one sheet of each in the ‘My First Sander’ kit, so best be careful with it. Just the back panel to get the rough stuff off, then on to a final sand then finish can be applied!

00271321-97E9-4FAE-BB30-5CC0986CFFE5.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

but only have one sheet of each

Give it a couple of flicks with your finger before it clogs up. That will help it to last longer. Obviously remove the paper from the sander/block first, or it won't half smart :)

Edited by Norris
  • Like 1

image.png.55a35b22ba14286c8d520c4210b7c717.png

Sorry for the poor quality but I clipped this from an old photo of our living room.

Our cats had ruined the grill cloth on my Heco Superiors.  Their back feet would hit the front during the flying leaps they'd make to reach their favourite perching point on top of either cab.  As they reached maturity, their claws were starting to leave witness marks on the front baffle behind the cloth.  I feared that the drivers would be punctured.  The cloth had to go.  To replace it, I bought a roll of galvanised wire mesh from one of the DIY suppliers locally and wrapped it around the grill frame.

The cats have passed on but the speakers have survived.

For a cab that is intended for gigging, I'd suggest a heavier grade of wire mesh than mine but if steam punk is your thing*, a similar plan may work for you.

I'd never heard the term steam punk when I did this twenty years ago and I disassociate myself totally from the term.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...