Why become a member? ×

fal phase 50-4 with 4 ohm cab

perrybassbp

Hi

I've had a fal phase 50-4 for a while but never really thought much of it until I plugged it into my barefaced compact and I was shocked that I managed to get a really decent sound out of it ( well to my ears anyway) but I was wondering if anyone knew if it would work down to 4 ohms? There is no ohm rating on the amp so I'm not really sure what it can and can't do. I'm pretty sure it will work fine with a 4 ohm cab but if any one has any first hand experience and or info on the amp that would great. I was also looking at a fal super 100 as a possible 'upgrade' does anyone know if that too will work at 4 ohms?

That's what passed as a PA amp back in 1970. FAL were one of many small manufacturers. It will run into 4 ohms. If I had to guess it's probably one of many amps that used 2N3055 output transistors and probably gives about 70w RMS. Beware a lot of these old amps had very poor protection circuits and the output transistors tend to fry when they get too hot or if you short circuit them. Make sure your Jack plugs are properly inserted before you switch on. It gives a decent sound because it is essentially flat response.