Why become a member? Ɨ

6string strings for 4 string

Swaffle88

Alright ya bunch of basstards!Ā šŸ˜€Ā 

Iā€™m looking to put a very light gauge string on my 4 string.. could I buy a 6 string set and just use the lightest of the set? Do you think you wouldĀ have to change the nut.. (thinner grooves)?Ā 

https://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/d-addario-exl165-6-nickel-wound-6-string-bass-strings-custom-light-32-135-long-scale

I was thinking these and using the .32.45.65.85

Guest ixlramp

I think Rotosound even have a 30-85 set.

You could do what you suggest, but it's better to build a set from singles than wasting money and resources, and discarding the biggest and most expensive strings from a 6 string set. D'Addario singles are sealed for freshness too.

You won't need a new nut unless it is poorly cut, try it first and see.

Edited by ixlramp

Not a bad idea using singles.. I just ordered a set of rotosound funk masters 30.50.70.90

They seem to get good reviews so Iā€™ll give them a go and see if thinner strings give a thinner tone as some people say! šŸ˜œVery controversialĀ 

On 18/08/2018 at 22:02, Swaffle88 said:

Not a bad idea using singles.. I just ordered a set of rotosound funk masters 30.50.70.90

They seem to get good reviews so Iā€™ll give them a go and see if thinner strings give a thinner tone as some people say! šŸ˜œVery controversialĀ 

Those people are idiots. Just tune your current G down to D... does it sound thinner? No.

• 7 months later...