Why become a member? ×

New to Bass...

Cicero

So far avoided any blisters, but after four hours jamming this evening, my fingers are hurty.

I've avoided them up to now by using liquid plaster on my fingertips (basically like applying a glue) but didn't do so this evening!

Finished of the session by jamming along to some Parliament...

Four hours is a bit much.

No wonder your fingertips hurt.  To put this in perspective, four hour bar sets are only the norm in the 'States and even then, they are working musicians.

I know it is easy to get carried away on a groove but go easy on yourself.  Learn the early warning signs of fatigue and toughen the skin at the contact areas.  Some people confuse toughened skin with scar tissue.  I'd also suggest you stop using the liquid band aid.  It has nothing whatsoever to do with bands or their musicians.

Four hours is indeed a long time to be rehearsing. But if you're that keen, and feel you're improving - then it's worthwhile having longer sessions
In truth, my playing would probably improve, if I had any chance of getting a four hour home practice session in..... sadly, I don't get that sort of time
Or else, if / when I have that sort of time, rather than concentrate or focus on anything in particular - I have a whole stack of new songs to learn ;)

Welcome to the wonderful world of bass. And I'm glad that you realise it's a different instrument - many guitarists think bass is just a "simpler type of rhythm guitar" ;)
Also good to hear you've already thought about lessons - a good tutor can guide you well, focus where you should be improving, and hone your style

Best of luck, and welcome to BC :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

...but not for the enormous leg?

Odd camera angles aside, it's listenable.  Good work.

I always take any opportunity to show off the leg...

Apologies if you weren't prepared.

listenable? That's high praise 🤣

• Like 1