Why become a member? ×

New to Bass...

Cicero

Greetings folks

Despite having played guitar for many a year, I've always wanted to become a proficient bass player.

Unfortunately, I have, perhaps, only around a total an entire weekend's worth of playing time on the instrument, so, needless to say, I am a total beginner.

Having guitar playing experience is a bonus... It's also a hindrance as it's clear changing my mindset and approach to playing is an important starting point, especially with getting the basics right.

I've decided I will actually get lessons to begin with, just to get me off on the right track - something I never did with guitar.

My first query is around thumb position... Should I be anchoring it against another string, or should my entire hand be floating? Not sure which to commit myself to trying seeing as both seem to have pros and cons. I've noticed my playing seems very 'quiet' and lacks the conviction I want it to. Again this may be down to technique and the fact that I'm just not used to playing with my fingers this way. I have resisted using a pick. Advice?

Whilst I have modest goals, if I can at some point play Havona (one of my favourite tunes) I'll be more than happy 😎

In true 'putting the cart in front of the horse style' I bought myself a new P Bass (Fender Player), despite having an old Washburn gathering dust in a case somewhere:

IMG_7135 (2).jpg

• Like 2

The great thumb question.......... There are lots of schools of thought it seems. I won’t suggest which is the best as 1, there are many ways and different ones suit different players and 2, I would probably be lynched. I used a bastardised hybrid where my thumb sits on the pickup for the E and A string and then shifts to the E string for the D and G. It’s sort of a floating thumb for the clueless. I personally don’t like a fully floating technique but only play finger style. If you get fifty responses you will probably get 49 answers! Find one that’s suits you and enjoy.

• Like 1

Welcome! I'd definitely support getting at least a few lessons. When I started (guitar at first) I thought I'd be able to pick it up from books and YouTube, but went nowhere, and would have given up if I hadn't found a good teacher. We're still working together four years later, and he's still supporting and pushing me. I wouldn't be playing in a band now without him. 

• Like 1

Thanks All

Been loving just having the time to work through pieces, and am actually seeing slight improvements each day.

It might help if I actually got some sleep though. This bass playing business is time consuming stuff... Nice to be inspired to play with this level of enthusiasm again.

5 hours ago, roceci said:

Hi mate. Is your proper name Cicero? Only asking as it's my surname and there ain't too many of us about in the UK (assuming you're from the UK like!)

Unfortunately not... 

3 hours ago, josie said:

Welcome! I'd definitely support getting at least a few lessons. When I started (guitar at first) I thought I'd be able to pick it up from books and YouTube, but went nowhere, and would have given up if I hadn't found a good teacher. We're still working together four years later, and he's still supporting and pushing me. I wouldn't be playing in a band now without him. 

I like the fact that you are actually a cat.

I shall take your advice based on that alone.

Been practicing lots this past week and have seen huge improvements already! Patience and perseverance really are the key.

I've also booked in a lesson for next week, so I'm looking forward to that.

I've never had a lesson before, at all, even in all my years of guitar playing. To put that right, I've booked a guitar lesson in also 😀 

I have decided that these next 12 months will be dedicated to improving musically as much as possible. I hope to also get to the point where regular jam sessions become a thing.

I'll also be using this thread as a log, so please bear with me 😄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Been putting in 2-3 hours practice each day and still improving. 

I've been playing bass for nearly 45 years, still try to practice/learn new material 2-3 hours day and I'm still improving too! When I stop improving, I'll probably be ready to give up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I've been playing bass for nearly 45 years, still try to practice/learn new material 2-3 hours day and I'm still improving too! When I stop improving, I'll probably be ready to give up.

Crikey!  Do you want to put the lad off?  You'll scare him back into being a full time guitarist for goodness' sake!

Heeheehee.

Well, the first lesson was quite humbling... 

Back to absolute basics, and the realisation of how hard it can be to execute good technique.

Best to get these things addressed sooner rather than later. I know all too well how ingrained bad technique can become, and the effort it takes to undo it... Lots to work on!

20 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Back to absolute basics, and the realisation of how hard it can be to execute good technique.

Best to get these things addressed sooner rather than later. I know all too well how ingrained bad technique can become, and the effort it takes to undo it... Lots to work on!

Well done for going back to school.

I don't think I could but that's a different story.

• 4 weeks later...

Bass-playing is definitely here to stay. I seem to get a great deal of pleasure out of it, seven weeks in, and I'm improving all the time. Kinda like being back at school, but at work instead, desperate to get home and plug in.

My guitar playing is taking a backseat, though 🤔

I've yet to do any recordings. There are few things that highlight weaknesses better than listening back on your own playing... Just need to get around to it. I may be brave enough to share 😶

7 hours ago, Cicero said:

Bass-playing is definitely here to stay. I seem to get a great deal of pleasure out of it, seven weeks in, and I'm improving all the time. Kinda like being back at school, but at work instead, desperate to get home and plug in.

My guitar playing is taking a backseat, though 🤔

I've yet to do any recordings. There are few things that highlight weaknesses better than listening back on your own playing... Just need to get around to it. I may be brave enough to share 😶

Keep up the good work

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cicero said:

I started recording myself again for the first time in over thirty years.  It's well worth doing.  I was lucky to get a heavily discounted pocket Zoom recorder during the Maplin sales prior to their closure.  It's got lots of storage potential even in the higher formats and it is a handy field recorder.

I had also been using a disabled smart 'phone (it's now a dedicated recording device) to video myself and assess my posture.  The sound was okay on that too.  It's so easy compared to when I used four track cassettes that I'd strongly recommend it to anyone, regardless of experience.  You can develop bad habits and this will help identify them before they become a burden.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2018 at 19:11, Cicero said:

Image result for Success quote pele

• Like 1