Why become a member? ×

How does everyone find bands?

Guest aDx

22 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

BandMix 

You do have to pay if you want to talk to people though. There is a band I may be interested in so tried to contact them but I have to subscribe for a month at a tenner. They may be great and it could be the best tenner ever spent, or I could hear nothing back. I know they have to make profit somehow but not sure it’s the best way.

My current and last bands have both been through contacts and friends. I've had a couple of auditions from JoinMyBand. BandMix gave me my first band 10 years ago, however, other than that it's been a complete waste of time, to the point I've actually deleted my profile. For the number of musicians and bands on BandMix in my area it wasn't worth even staying on there let alone paying a fee for it.

It's all a bit hit and miss really

In the past I have used:

* Web sites - JMB, etc, also Gumtree
* Rehearsal studio noticeboards / Guitar shop noticeboards (if they still have them)
* Talking to people at gigs / making sly approaches to band members between sets
* Unexpectedly approaching complete strangers who show evidence of being interested in guitars, musical performance etc. Did this while manning a bookstall at our village fete when a guy walked up wearing a CF Martin T-shirt. Also tapped up a gardening lady who had a gig flyer taped to the rear window of her van. Turned out she was a jazz saxophonist looking for a guitarist.

Basically, one has to be completely remorseless and unembarrassed.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

You do have to pay if you want to talk to people though. There is a band I may be interested in so tried to contact them but I have to subscribe for a month at a tenner. They may be great and it could be the best tenner ever spent, or I could hear nothing back. I know they have to make profit somehow but not sure it’s the best way.

I didn’t know that. I had an approach from a band yesterday, I’ve been in no hurry to respond as I’m not looking for another band at the moment. I won’t bother now I know that!

2 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

I didn’t know that. I had an approach from a band yesterday, I’ve been in no hurry to respond as I’m not looking for another band at the moment. I won’t bother now I know that!

It is a shame, I have been on a while and this is the first decent lead I have seen but it’s a lot to fork out for what could end up being a quick dead end.

It depends where you live and if there is a ‘scene’, as such. We’re very lucky here in Banbury; there is a good amount of bands with plenty of venues to play, it’s not too cliquey and most people in bands know each other and are on friendly terms. If my band folded tomorrow I’m fairly confident I could pick up with someone else quite quickly. 

Have to say, I quite miss the ads on dog-eared bits of paper or card pinned up in local music shops........  And the classified ads in back of Melody Maker etc (where many a big name band was formed)   I once got phoned up to join a band through selling my Trace Elliot combo in the local paper (so identified as a bass player)

you'd think it would be easier in this digital age, but maybe like the dating scene (not that I'd know) it's actually harder? o.O

Last recent 2 of mine through JMB, but long term one before that through one of those dog-eared bits of paper ads just before local music shop closed 

I got into my current band through JMB. Prior to that, mainly networking.

People would ring me saying that such and such gave them my number as they were looking for a bass player.

I have never really tried too hard to find a band, they usually find me. 😀

I answered a couple of Melody Maker ads in the mid 80's and it's been word of mouth ever since.

Do what ever else you think might work, but IMO networking is the best way. It goes something like: meet as many players as you can, impress them with your skills and personality and keep reminding them you're looking for a band.  I guess it's easier for me because I live in SW London, a musically busy place, but if you live somewhere more isolated you've just got to work harder.

3 hours ago, aDx said:

So. I have looked everywhere to try and find bands to play with but have had no luck yet.  How do other peeps find bands?

One tip, for general consumption, is to make your location known, everywhere you're posting. Obviously I'm including Basschat in this, but other places you post will also be more productive if your whereabouts is easily seen.
Just sayin'; good luck with your quest. B|

Most if not all of mine in recent years have come through meeting people through attendance at jam sessions - if people hear you backing either them or others competently, when they need a bass player they might ask you. 

"Back in the day", it was either groups of friends or acquaintances and subsequent to that answering ads in the local paper - I never tried the ads in the Melody Maker for bands although I bought and sold bass equipment through its classifieds. I suspect that as those transactions usually involved quite a drive, the same would be true for bands!! 

13 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

"Back in the day", it was either groups of friends or acquaintances and subsequent to that answering ads in the local paper...

For decades I joined bands through word of mouth and associates, etc. But as my contemporaries got older, got married and got 'proper' jobs, I was dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century and t'interwebs. No bad thing, but you sure do meet some weirdos. Bit of an eye-opener. And an ear-opener! :shok:

Joined my first band (The Last Bus) answering an ad in JMB - had potential, but too many clashes of personality, and after 6 months the wheels came off the bus. 

Current band started as a workshop project at Band on the Wall in Mcr, so we had plenty of time to work together, and decided to keep going as a band when the workshop ended. Great trust and synergy.

I started out doing solo bass / vocals at my excellent local open mic, and gradually had some of the regulars asking me to sit in with them - had two really nice regular duos going at one point. 

I tried playing open jams, mainly for the experience but also sort of hoping I might get asked, but it never happened. Mind you I was never the bast bass player there, so if anyone had been looking for a bass player it wouldn't have been me they asked 😞  

It might be worth looking around for "jam buddies" rather than an established band, and see how it develops. 

• Like 1