Why become a member? ×

I've finally encoded the harmonic intuition of J.S.Bach into an algorithm for performance/study/composition with the overtones of the electric bass!!!!!!

Oscar South

A decently long while ago (when this was mere music theory speculation) I mentioned this here:

Well, lots of time has passed and I've obsessively pursued this rabbit hole niche within a niche through multiple fields of technical and theoretical practice and what's come out the other side is something quite special (very possibly only to me) .. 

.. I've just finished Version 1.0.0.0 of the project as an interactive algorithm that you can explore and utilise as a performance/study/composition aid for working with the overtones of the electric bass! It's actually a lot more versatile that that (and even in that use case, can work with any stringed instrument in any tuning) but the core functionality was designed with that usage in mind. On top of that, it incorporates a recommendation system with a 'learned' deterministic intuition for favourable 'next' harmonic choices that ingests data derived from J.S.Bach's Chorale harmonisations and then applies the trained model to data generated by the 'Harmonic Algorithm'.

You can check it out in it's current form, including detailed usage examples (with video clips) and installation instructions for anyone inclined to try it out:

https://github.com/OscarSouth/theHarmonicAlgorithm

header.png.f342c25bee51987bcd90e4987d4ee848.png

"The Harmonic Algorithm, written in Haskell and R, generates musical domain specific data inside user defined constraints then filters it down and deterministically ranks it using a tailored Markov Chain model trained on ingested musical data. This presents a unique tool in the hands of the composer or performer which can be used as a writing aid, analysis device, for instrumental study or even in live performance."

resolve.gif.69bac2b29f066649efb6e62124598225.gif

If anyone has any comments or feedback -- please let me know! I'm going to add the ability to view where the overtones of each recommendation are located on an instrument in the currently defined tuning in the next update.

Thanks!

Oscar

Edited by Oscar South
  • Like 2

You seem to be deliberately intellectualizing your app here.... You should be going for usability and transparency. So it's a chord-suggester... there's plenty out there... And I for one think you should do that for yourself as part of the writing process.

Edited by visog
  • Like 2

Guest Jecklin

"...The Harmonic Algorithm, written in Haskell and R, generates musical domain specific data inside user defined constraints then filters it down and deterministically ranks it using a tailored Markov Chain model trained on ingested musical data..."

No idea what that means.

what would I use it for?

What does this do that studying the music itself does not?

Asking for clarity, not to be an derrière.

Edited by Jecklin

1 hour ago, Jecklin said:

...No idea what that means.

what would I use it for?

What does this do that studying the music itself does not?...

It means that, given a starting point (a note..?) the possible 'harmonically correct' notes are calculated, such as root to fifth, or root to third etc. These 'note choices are then sorted in order of preference; as suggested next note to play. This 'next note' is then, in turn, used to suggest a third note, and so on. The 'harmonically correct' part stems from music theory; the preference ranking, too, is based on well-accepted principles.
All of this is based on music theory anyway, and so one's own studies would tend to confirm the suggestions made. It would, potentially, save time over working out theoretical note choices from scratch for those wishing to compose using these 'standard' guide lines. Most experienced composers would have this type of reasoning ingrained from their own experience and studies, but it could help either those starting out, or those wishing to 'break the mould of habit' and see what alternatives could be used.
Not for everyone, maybe, but an interesting exercise in combining music theory and programming skills. That, in itself, is no mean feat. Some folks climb mountains for fun, others like scuba diving. To each their own pleasures in life.

Subject to completion, correction and/or contradiction from others; hope this helps. B|

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It means that, given a starting point (a note..?) the possible 'harmonically correct' notes are calculated, such as root to fifth, or root to third etc. These 'note choices are then sorted in order of preference; as suggested next note to play. This 'next note' is then, in turn, used to suggest a third note, and so on. The 'harmonically correct' part stems from music theory; the preference ranking, too, is based on well-accepted principles.
All of this is based on music theory anyway, and so one's own studies would tend to confirm the suggestions made. It would, potentially, save time over working out theoretical note choices from scratch for those wishing to compose using these 'standard' guide lines. Most experienced composers would have this type of reasoning ingrained from their own experience and studies, but it could help either those starting out, or those wishing to 'break the mould of habit' and see what alternatives could be used.
Not for everyone, maybe, but an interesting exercise in combining music theory and programming skills. That, in itself, is no mean feat. Some folks climb mountains for fun, others like scuba diving. To each their own pleasures in life.

Subject to completion, correction and/or contradiction from others; hope this helps. B|

Well explained  Now I get it   Thanks  👍